Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is the "Smart Pill" for Oxy been manufactered yet?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I read somewhere the manufacters of Oxycontin( Purdue) had a blue print for a smart pill whereas if an addict crushes the pill, it will destroy itself. It would contain microscopic naltroxone beads to destroy the oxycodone in it. I read somewhere on another website forum that it is now available in Canada. Has anyone else heard this?
I had read that a generic oxy from a different pharamcutical company would react as you stated.  I also heard that Purdue was not going to have a new make up of the drug complete until 2009 or 2010 (I thnk)   I will look for the artcles again,  and if I find them I will PM to you.
Thanks. I sure hope they do make it sooner than later!!!
Ive seen hydrocodone with the little red beads in them for that particular reason, but not sure about the oxy's. Ive been out of the oxy scene for awhile now, but I do know the last ones that I saw were ones that people couldnt shoot up, they werent the little round ones they were40mgs and a bigger oval shape. What gets me is that I know they have the technology to do it with hydrocodone so I see no reason why they couldnt do it for oxycodone. I know ive seen the norco's that were white with tiny red beads, Im sure you already knew this but I figured I would weigh in regardless. Its an interesting question, and maybe its a business decision because so many people crush and snort or crush melt and shoot, how terrible would that be if they could have developed them all this time but didnt want to lose that revenue from the addicts.
Actually the hydrocodone I saw, the little red beads were the actual hydrocodone, not naloxone, so guess its different...now tell me if Im mistaken but arent there oxycontin now available that people are unable to shoot up? I just remember some people who I knew who did shoot them being upset when they couldnt get the original little round oxy's. As I remember they were shaped like a football and about 3times the size of a normal oxy. So I guess we are talking about two different things. That would be amazing if they could make a self destructible oxy, because I do believe that many oxy addicts do end up snorting or injecting them.
I hope it comes to USA and I hope all the other opi meds do to
I know that I read somewhere that in Canada they are now available. I couldn't find any info on the net about it. We should keep this thread going to see if this rumor is true. Maybe calling Purdue?
At this point, there is no form of Oxycodone that contains naltrexone. Purdue last discussed this option in 2001...the idea did not take off.

The football shaped OCs are produced by Teva Pharm. They do not contain naltrexone, but rather a matrix of gel within the pill. The gel contained no substance, but rather was meant to turn the mixture into an unshootable glob if one tried to cook it down. It was also supposed to inhibit intranasal use because once the gel got wet it would glob up.

I never experienced attempting to shoot a Teva "football", but I can say that the gel matrix had little effect on crushing and nasal use.
Also, Purdue has recently made a deal with all companies that produce generic oxycontin. All the companies have been paid off to stop production and Purdue will be the only company producing time released oxycontin.