Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is the suboxone taking my pain away??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is the suboxone taking my pain away??

I have a torn disk in my back, and have facet joint syndrome (L4-L5, S1-S2) and I was taking Norco to alleviate the pain. Of course, I got addicted to them, and not only was I taking them for pain, but liked the way they made me feel. So much so, that I built up quite a tolerance and my dose was up to anywhere between 30 to 60 pills a day, and sometime even more. Anyway, I made the decision to get off of them once and for all, and went to a sub doctor. I have been "clean" for 22 days now. And what I mean by "clean" is off the Norco, but am taking the suboxone. So, my question is that I DO have pain, but have noticed it has gotten a LOT better ever since getting off the Norco. I used to wake up every single morning in agonizing pain and would pop 8 Norco, take a shower and go about my day. Now when I wake up, the pain is still there, but it's nowhere near as bad, so I get out of bed, take my sub (4mg), take a shower and by this time I'm feeling okay, barely any pain at all. Were the Norco making me hurt worse? Or are the sub taking my pain away? I know the sub is some sort of opiate, but it's not a full antagonist opiate like the Norco. Can someone try to help me with this please?

thanks so much!
It makes perfect sense. The Norco can cause nerve sensitivity - hyperalgesia. So it is actually creating a lot of the pain that it is relieving.

I am in a similar situation. Bad back and neck. Fibromylgia (fibromyalgia) for 20+ years.  I just got off Oxcycontin 80+ mg per day by taking Suboxone - subutex with NarCan - and then reducing the Suboxone dosage every four days. While the Suboxone helps with the pain, I wouldn't plan on staying on it for long. It is also pretty addictive. It just has milder withdrawal symptoms.

I am going to try Lyrica for the fibro, but I have no idea what I will do for the neck and back pain. They are saying Ultram, but I have read that a lot of people get addicted to tramadol too. Joy.

Good luck,

Talyn