Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is this normal?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is this normal?

I know there are people out there dealing with bigger issues than i am but for the last 10 days or so my energy has really dropped and the dreaded backache has returned.

I'm 68 days clean c/t codeine today and have no intention of jeapordizing my time, i am eating healthy, taking vits/ mins and keeping myself busy. My question is this....Is it normal to feel like this from time to time? This is the first real hump since the w/ds. In every other way i feel as if i'm doing great, sleep is ok, mood is ok and i don't feel ill or anything....if i know to expect these times than i know i'll cope better. I just want a bit of reassurance i think!

Anyways, have a great day everyone

Jane x
Hi Butterbean!

Hi-Five to you on all your hard work & you 68 clean days. Awesome!
Yes, what you're going through is absolutely normal. The energy dips and attendant low moods tend to go in cycles. You've entered early PAWS. If you're sleeping well, I can't tell you what a positive indicator that is re: your healing!

Try to stay focused & decouple from these energy drops. I know we all hoped that it would be a steady upwards vector in healing but, unfortunately, that's just not how it works. It takes a while. You've come too far (as you know) to turn back. Just keep up your positive attitude and the great work. You're doing it! Congrats again on your grit. Rock on.
hey Friend, congrats on over a month!! YES!! YES!! YESSSS! it is normal so don't go getting worried.
After the anxiety finally started to subside that energy depletion thing began. It will last 2-4 days, usually about 3, and then you will pick up. Be prepared for it comes back in these 3 day or so lumps here and there.

Keep going, you are doing great!
hugs,
Lily
Hey Annie, how do you always manage to be there when needed? It's just what i needed to hear....that it's all normal. I know you're "going through the mill " as we english say (means you're having a tough time) and still you take the time to help everyone else. Thanks seems inadequate somehow, but it is truly heartfelt. You're courage and strength amaze me.

Hugs
Jane x

Hi waterLilly, thanks sooo much for your input and positive comments...I know i'll cope much better knowing others have gone before me and it's just a temporary thing. I won't worry next time....i'll know it's just a small hiccup in the great scheme of things. Not a mountain to climb....just a gentle slope.

Thanks again!
Jane x
Hey Jane!

I lived on your side of the pond, so, no worries! (actually, we have the same expression here.) So nice to hear from you & I was very touched by your comment on my six month thread. Your the best!

(Big Smile To You, Mate!)

Annie
This is very common.  We will always have bad days here and there, it is up to us how we get thru them.  I always figure when i have a bad day my good days look even better.  You are doing great so keep it going.  Congrats on the clean time!!
I'm dealing with periodic energy zaps, too.  But it's all relative.  Now that I'm clean and sober I get to choose between:

A) Staying clean, with occasional lethargy; or

B) Going back to being addicted to pills, which gave me energy (until I'd crash or need more pills), but robbed me of control, stripped me of dignity, damaged my liver, and put me at high risk of jail, bankruptcy and death.

I choose option "A".
You are doing GREAT, girl...!!!  It would be so nice if the curve of improvement and healing was a straight line UP.....but our bodies seem to heal with a "mind of their own".  You have passed your 60 day mark...and you sound SO good.  Those "windows" of time and "waves" of a discouraging symptom really DO pop us....but in relation to how long I used....I figured...I'd ride the waves and keep my eye on my next milestone.

90 Days is in view....and you are sleeping....that's when we our immune systems heal the MOST.  There are some articles in our Health Pages here on MH that explain these "waves" and times when we question our
recovery.  It helps to know this is normal....whatever normal is...LOL
"A setting on my clothes dryer, maybe?"  

Keep on keepin on.....and keep your eye on the prize of FREEDOM.....it's surely worth it~