Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Just found out I am approx 4 weeks pregnant

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ok so I really hadent planned on having more children not only did I feel satisfied with the 2 I have but I have several back conditions I have 4 buldging discs 1 of which sits on my sciatic nerve. I have ben on pain mgment for about a year currently I am  on Nucynta 300mg/day and cymbalta 30mg (for fibromyalgia)I was curious if there is anypain medication that would be safe for me to take during my pregnancy> My pain specialist is currently weening me off both above drugs but I know that my pain is coming back and it's just not a livable sistuation with out pain mgment I dont sleep I can barely walk nothing improves it without my pain meds my pain is at a 10(on a scale of 1-10 10 being the worse)  litterally every day all day. I meet with my pain care on Friday and was hopng to have some safe ideas to throw out there forhim because I dont believe he has much experience with pregnant pain care.
HELP!
Hi and welcome to the forum~~

I am going to get ahold of one of our members here who has alot of knowledge with pain meds and pregnancy.  She(they) will be able to give you some good advice.       sara
Hi there, and congrats on your pregnancy.  I don't have any specific drug names for you, however, I can tell you this. We have had many of our forum members (I am the CL of Pregnancy 35+) in your type of situation.  Dr.'s determine all medications taken during pregnancy as risk vs. benefit.  You simply cannot go through an entire pregnancy in pain, particularly in the back.  It is very important that you get in to see an OB sooner rather then later.  They are the best person to consult, and working with him/her and your pain management specialist, I absolutely know a solution can be found.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no pain medications beyond tylenol that are proven safe during pregnancy.  The thing to remember though, is that not proven safe simply means untested.  But when taking a prescribed medication at the prescribed dose, and being open and honest with both Dr.'s, you can manage pain and keep your baby safe.  

I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help.  But again, there have been many women in your situation over the years in our forum who have managed their pain and had healthy beautiful babies.  Please make an appointment asap with your OB.  

Congrats again, and I wish you a happy healthy 9 months.

BTW...I am not the person who knows alot about pain management during pregnancy, but I know who Sara is referring to, and know she will be in shortly.   Best of luck again!
This was a shout out to you too!!  Thank you~~
I do know from hearing from people that there are other pain meds that have been taken during pregnancy, and the baby was fine in the end. I myself have no experience taking anything besides tylenol during pregnancy. Do you have a specific dr you see for the fibromyalgia or your back? I would start off with talking to them if you have one about the fact that you are pregnant, and your regular doctor. I can't tell you what is or is not safe, but I do know there are options. You can be given advice, or told what someone else has been prescribed during pregnancy, but it is best that you discuss your options with your doctor, and do not take any medication, even if you have it available besides what you are already being told to take. I hope there is something that you can use to give you relief, I can't imagine the pain you must be in!
Hi there,

for some reason MedHelp put up a duplicate of your post and I had replied to that one last night....I've got a gagging, puking, awful migraine right now (sorry LOL) so I'm going to give you a link to your other post and you can read my reply there...if you have trouble let me know and I'll come back later today with a more detailed reply on this post, OK?

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/Just-found-out-I-am-approx-4-weeks-pregnant/show/1593957?personal_page_id=2328510#post_7241809

Just wanted to make sure you take a deep breath...there are many safe options for treating pain during pregnancy, and between your OB and your pain management doc you will find something that works...so don't worry! I have experience with pain management through all three pregnancies so I can say from experience :-).