Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Just now realizing...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Just now realizing...

Hi guys, this is my first time even looking at this website let alone posting.

I get migraines, and to help - my mom gives me prescription painkillers that she gets from her doctor - she's always had painkillers, for various reasons (surgery, injuries, migraines).  I used to only take them when I needed them, but lately I've been taking them recreationally.  I blew through a container she gave me in a month (I never take more than one a day), but realistically it should've been good for upwards of 6 months given how infrequent my migraines are.

Now that they're gone, I noticed a bottle of pills by her bedside, and did something I've never done before.  I stole one.  I stole one today as well, of course taking care to make sure she wouldn't be able to notice.  I feel really crappy doing this.

Do you guys have any advice on how to stop before it gets bad?  I work for the next two days and I never take it when I have work, so if those days go well it should just be mind over matter.

I'm also trying to get back to the gym next week.  I find I mostly find myself taking the pills out of boredom - what are some ways to keep busy?

Thanks.
Hello 123, You are a very smart person to be proactive in posting your concern. What you described is typical addict behavior in the making. I for one HATED the way the pain pills made me feel and would trow up each time I took one, then something in my brain changed and I made a mission out of getting them anyway I could. Sounds crazy and you will think it will never happen to you, but I guarantee you...it will. Talk to a councilor about what your feeling/doing and get some tools to head this off before you have a real problem. Read these boards and see what lies ahead if you continue. You don't want their story to be YOUR story right? Look into other ways th help your migraines (you can pm me, I have lots of tricks to soften them non narcotic). Best of all, your way ahead of the game by reaching out. Keep us updated.
Hello 123 it is wonderful tht u are looking for help now! I can tell u thts how i started with pain pills for my migraines and i went from taking 1 to 4 a day then i had surgery and it went out of control from there. I was up to taking 10 at ONE time. It got to the point they did nothibg for me so i had this "friend " who told me her this is better and it would make me feel amazing well this amazing thing was heroin and guess what i did it and got hooked. It consumed my life and just about ruined my marriage as well. Finally after a year of doing it my husband found out and almost left me with my two children. I felt it was time to get clean and stay clean right now im 68 days clean and this is the best thing ive ever did for myself. As for my migraines i take non narcotic meds and they work so please do this for urself and do let my story b ur story!!!! Read everyones posts and see how it turnes ur life upside down in a matter of weeks!!!  Keep us posted and were all here for u !!
Hi Unexpected and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you decided to post! You will find alot of support here! As those before said, there are many OTC products that will help with migraine pain!

You said that you are working the next couple of days, and that "if those days go well, it should just be mind over matter".  Well, what if those days don't go well? You need to have a plan for when things don't go well! You can't depend on the pills to deal with a bad day. I think that going to the gym and excersizing is a great way to deal with stress, boredom, and bad days in general!

As far as keeping busy, take up some hobbies, do things that you can enjoy without pills! Get involved in a group or organization! Maybe volunteer some place. Change your life so that it does not revolve around pills!  Definately stop getting pills from your mother! Ask her not to offer or give them to you anymore! This is not a position that she should be in the middle of!

Keep reading the posts here! Keep posting with any questions and if you need support! You can do this and change your life for the better before this gets completely out of control! I wish you all the best! Take care!
I suggest that you tell your Mom what you've done. It will go a long way toward changing your behavior and stopping this before it gets totally out of control.  Good luck!
Hi! I commend you for coming here asking for guidance and advice. Please go through some of these posts here in the forum. I hope by doing that it will scare you enough to take a step back and take control again. I promise you, PROMISE, this "little" thing that you do for fun, will spin out of control before you even know what hit you! I too started taking them for migraines, my nice doc gave me 5 refills each Rx! Felt like I hit the jackpot everytime. Let me tell you this, I thought I had it under control, as I'm sure that's what you're thinking but I'm here to tell you, you don't and I didn't. I took only as directed, then started taking recreationally, for a party, to watch tv, to relax or unwind. Then I couldn't get my coffee unless I had my two pills. It can and will get out of hand my friend, it will. Please, I'm begging you to stop. Stop now while your ahead. Before it get too ugly, before they start controlling every single moment in your life, stop before you get sick everytime you don't take any. Please stop. Don't think you can control it or you are above addiction. It will sneak up on you!! Tricky and sneaky. Period and then it's over. Id give anything to go back and change the days I was introduced to hydros, I truly do. Keep posting, make some friends here. I'll be around to chat anytime!! You got this!!!
Glad u came here.I will tell u this u caught this before it got to a ton more pills which is good u will have minimal to no w/d.My concern is they r right there and redily available.Also u have become dependant/addicted&snuck a couple which means u opened the flood gates of addiction and usually u cnt turn back&take them juat when u need them.I would tell to u to come clean w/ur mom.I know that sounds scary but its for thw best.u dnt have to tell her u stole any if thats too much just tell her u took all she gave u and u r worried and wanr to b proactive so u dnt have a issue.. Tell her not to give u a bottle or any,ask her to put hers up so u cant just g
Sry wasnt done.ask her to put up her meds so u wont b tempted to em if u dnt need to.if u feel awful w/a migraine get her to give u1if nothing else works.Can u go to the dr&get proper migraine meds?That is a wonderful option.i too suffer from migraines(although lortab were my issue at the pinnacle of my addiction I couldnt take them if I got a headache they made it soo much worse).Remember taking lortab regularly will trigger migraines.