Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Kratom addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Kratom addiction

I'm currently a dentist in recovery from alcohol dependence (sobriety date May 24, 2010).  I lasted nearly 8 months completely sober and then I started looking for alternatives to alcohol.  I found Kratom.  It has been over a year now that I have been a daily user (generally 4 times per day).  It doesn't work as well as it used to and if I take the quantity I need for any effect anymore, I get sick and at times vomit.  My entire office recently found out by accident about my problem and my boss confronted me on the issue.  This is not fun for me anymore.  It hasn't been for awhile.

The problem is that when I try to stop, I experience cold sweats, restless leg syndrome, insomnia (mostly due to RLS... only get 2 hrs of broken sleep per night even when i take my Rx for trazadone) and stomach issues.  I tried Kratom because I thought it didn't have severe withdrawals but after a few days of no sleep, I start taking it again for relief.  I'm a maintenence Kratom user.  Does anyone have any withdrawal advice for me?
Hi Kasey!   First of all, you need to stop the Kratom!  Can you get a few days away from work?

There's no way around withdrawal, only through it. Force fluids, eat well, protein shakes, vitamins,magnesium and potassium for RLS.  Hot baths with Epsom salts...you get the picture. Just cold turkey that junk and get some therapy to understand why you need a replacement drug!
I would talk with your boss and tell him what is going on.  Ask for a few days to get over the wd's.  You stopped the alcohol and you can stop this too.  Dont be afraid to reach out~~sara
HI we have had several members use kratom to get off there opiate addiction only to wind up just like you and on the forum looking for help......I think Vicki is spot on you just got to bit the bullet and go threw the withdrawal it should only be a dew days but it will depend on how much you where using also its not as extream as opiate withdrawal but it wont be any fun ether we will support you as you go threw this I think by now you realize sobriety takes work......left unto our old thinking will wind up strung out on something as addicts we need to change the very way we think and reason to overcome our illness
time to sit down with a drug counselor or hit a few N/A meetings and get to the root of your problem keep posting for support will try and walk you threw this good luck and God bless......Gnarly
I'm on my 4th day of withdraw.. I just bit the bullet and went cold turkey and yes it is hell,, but I think I'm going to get right through it..I was doing kratom 3 times a day each time I would take 10 grams for a year or so..Day 1 was the hardest part cold sweats then moments of being really hot.. Now the (RLS) seat in almost 8 hours after the last dose,, and they are still happening as I type this on day 4.. Day 2 this real sadness over came me I would walk in one room and find myself crying in the next almost a feeling of loneliness... I was tired but couldn't sleep mostly the (RLS)..Day 3 depression is almost completely gone I'm still tired as hell major (RLS) but some how feel better.. Oh yea through this all not much food intake almost nothing..Day 4 still tired depression gone feel happy again thank God,, also able to eat not a lot but some just can't beat this (RLS) problem... WILL POWER your way through this I know you can get this past you ""YOU"" just have to DO it!!