Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Kratom or Damiana

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Kratom or Damiana

My husband is addicted to Tramadol and in the past few months he has tried Kratom in order to get rid of his withdrawal symptoms and now he has order some herb called Damiana ... in my opinion this is just another thing to add to an addictive habit ... has anyone had experience with either? I need some true side effects or results because if this is a bunch of bull sh** that he is feeding me then I need to throw that s*** in the garbage!
Both of these herbs cause euphoria and dependence. There's no easy way to get of opiates or opiate like chemicals, such as tramadol. Your partner needs to decide for himself  that there is no  herb or drug to prevent opiate detox symptoms, it's a matter of avoiding all drugs, including natural extracts. Time of sobriety is the only thing that returns natural brain chemistry. Filliing opiate receptors with natural blocks is not different than opium, which is a natural herb. 12 step meetings, good nutrition, and time are what an addict needs to heal. I'm not saying that herbs or other medicines can't help, but a complete recovery program is the only thing that really works. Don't be angry with him, he is in a dream-like state. Be straight and real, he will have to decide for himself there's only one way out, sobriety of all psychoacitive substance.
So, now he's going to be addicted to an aphrodisiac? You don't sound up for it. I agree with Weaver entirely, there's no easy way to get off opiates, and looking for the cure in another mood or mind altering substance is missing the point of becoming clean and maybe sober. There is no replacement for the joy of a clean and sober life.  
Thank you so much this is exactly how I feel and I just had to make sure that I wasn't being delusional or over obsessing over him taking nothing at all! Thanks so much for the input!
I don't agree with it at all. I agree with both you and weaver that in order to get clean he needs to suck it up for a while and get clean and thats it. I also believe in prayer and becoming closer to one's faith in order to get through the hard times. But as you know he is in his own little world at the moment!
Addicts always look for the easy way out, unfortunately, but a bottom always comes, hopefully. If you stop helping him, but don't leave, he will see his problem for himself. My wife never left, but ignored me. I found my way, because I couldn't live without her. God bless her, she's amazing. People who put up with us addicts are super heroes to me. I wish you the very best, so take care of you and he will come around or not, but don't let him take you down. If you show the strength of independence, he will reach out to be with you. Keep the faith, sorry your having this experience.
I'm not sure about damiana and have actually never heard of it but kratom I have. I've never used it or ever even seen it but have heard people say it gives a similar effect like opiates so I would def say he needs to stay away from it. I also read some places it is actually an opiod I'm not sure if it is or not tho but either way if its something he has to order like that is most likely something he should stay away from if he is really trying to get clean because it sounds to me like he is trying to find something else to substitute for the opiates not really trying to get clean. I'm glad you posted here tho because we will help you through this and answer any questions you may have. As I'm sure y have already figured out addicts will lie and manipulate to get what it is we want and that's where you have to just lay down the law and tell him that you want him clean and if he is not willing to fight his addiction than there will be consequences because you will not keep dealing with the lies and manipulation. In order to get it through to an addict you have to slap them in the face with reality and let them know that you are not going to sit around and be a part of them killing themself because you don't have to. As they say on intervention you have to give all their problems back to them and let them deal with them because you are going to get your life back with or without them.
Good Luck and Godspeed
ABritt
I'm gonna have to take huge exception to what has been said about Damiana.

I took this herb years ago for hormonal reasons and experienced absolutely NO euphoria and do NOT agree that it causes dependency.
I have typed out a direct quote from my nutritional healing book on this particular herb.

""Stimulates muscular contractions of the intestinal tract and delivery of oxygen to the genital area.  Used as an energy tonic and aphrodisiac, and to remedy sexual and hormonal problems.  A "sexuality tonic" for women."

"Caution:  interferes with iron absorption when taken internally."

Phytochemical and Nutrient Content of Damiana:  (these are GOOD things) btw........
Phytochemicals:  Alpha-pinene, beta-carotene, beta-pinene, beta-sitosterol, 1,8-cineole, tannins, thymol.  Nutrients: Calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc, vitamins B1, B2, B3 and C.
Parts  of plant used for Damiana:  Leaves""

If anything, this herb may interfere with any Iron intake at the worst and make his intestinal tract even more active while getting off Tramadol. But I didn't have intestinal issues while I took it.  Don't think his sex drive will be affected, since it is an all time favorite for WOMEN!!  It may help his energy but I doubt it.  I had never taken an opiate in my life when I was taking this.  It is a very common herb for WOMEN.

If anything, the women on here that read this may race out to the health food store to buy it, LOL!  since it could increase the oxygen levels to their genitals HA!  Sorry, just had to add that.

I know nothing about Kratom.....Weaver may be right about that.
You could "just bing or google it to get the details" if you want to know more even more about it and its effects.

I know from PERSONAL experience that Damiana  does NOT cause dependency OR euphoria.  I was years away from getting hooked on opiates when I took Damiana.  I was trying to get pregnant!!

Just had to pop in here.....didn't want you to be equipped with any incorrect info.
Blessings~

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/kratom/show/1828666#post_8438380

Read what eagle wrote about this and then get rid of it........
Thanks so much for the advice and all the kind of words. I do agree it seems that the more he knows that I love him and can not bear to live without him the more he can hurt me. I am going to try and show him that his words don't hurt me and that if needed I can live without him thank you sooo much!
Thanks sooo much Britt you are absolutely right. Well he tried the damiana but he didn't like it so God is on my side! Wife is always right lol but I told him now either he continues with his taper and quits this **** or I am done. I am young and I have my whole life ahead of me. Defff too young to deal with this anyhow. Thanks for your support! I really do appreciate it!
Thanks so much for the positive note lol I hope you did end up getting pregnant! I think the truth of the matter is I just don't want him taking anything and I want him to lead a normal lifestyle whether it is good or bad things! Ya know? But once again thanks so much for all the info! As for the sex drive unfortunately tramadol kills it :(
Thanks love! Yeah I dont want this crap in my house! BTW did I tell you a year ago he used kratom and out of no where he had to get his appendix removed? Literally out of nowhere I just don't like that stuff at all!
I don't know anything about either substance but I just wanted to send you some support and tell you that you rock.  I hope some day your husband appreciates all you are doing for him and then it will be so worth it.  
Hugs
Pat
Thanks Pat I need that encouragement every once in a while!
You are sounding so much better than when you first got here.  So nice to see.  I think you are great~
Just a little of my history, my wife never gave up hope, but stopped helping me. She refused to give me CPR ever again, but laid in bed and cried, waiting. My wife and children expected me to be dead in the morning. I was just conscious enough to lean on the back of a chair to keep my lungs working as she laid crying in bed. I should have died from that, but I had something that kept me alive. Call it God or whatever, I barely made it to dawn, that's what it took. I knew she loved me, but I had to do it for me. I had to recognize that I would die if I didn't get may life together, without her. I hate to be so blunt, but that's how illusive addiction can be. Take care of you, don't give up on him, but don't be a part of the illusion. My wife is amazing, I don't know how she dealt with me. Don't let him hurt you anymore. Start living life without him, he will recover or he won't, but life goes on. It sounds harsh, but that's what it takes for some of us. I know you love him or you wouldn't be reaching out. Live for today and pray he will join you, that's all one can do. Be patient, but prepare yourself. Don't let him bring you down. He will be inspired by your strength and join you in the fight for freedom. I know it's hard, but live for you.
thanks sarah one day at a time i suppose
Thanks so much. I def agree with you 100% and it is nice to here that you woke up and got out of it. You are right your wife is a saint! I hope you treat her well for the rest of your lives and I hope addiction never struggles or burdens your family again!
Wow weavel    (weaver71 )
You married my wife's twin sister?  Us guys are the most stupid stuborn creatures God ever made.  All we need is a good woman.......LOL

When I first started readin this thread, i was thinkin "i need to get down to the health food store"

Nice thread Girls!  I needed this one,  slap!
Haha yeah why is it that girls are SO MUCH MORE WILLING to deal with guys BS huh huh huh? thanks a lot guys lol
I am encouraging you and your husband/friend to see a Doctor to help with the withdrawals, and stay away from these non-licensed advise givers, and if a inpatient detox is not feasible, many many tried and true medication tapers by Doctors that have helped and help many withdrawal without all the physical and mental and emotional pain..And for these brave souls who think its safe to detox without medications, please leave them alone, many suicides due to misinformation..Understanding that the brain has been depleted of chemicals that help us sustain emotionally are depleted and can leave us in dangerous position..
Geez, I mean really!! lol
And your experience would be personal?

We share actual experience, strength and hope here.  We've been there, done that.  We HELP each other.

Hope that's what your motive was in your post.....sure felt like criticism to me!!

And summerloven has been given other's wisdom from their personal experience and she has an open heart and mind.