Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Leg Aches

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Leg Aches

Hello!
I was just reading some posts and I read that leg aches are a WD symptom when coming off narcotics. What do the leg aches feel like?
I use to get leg aches as a child, really bad when I walked a lot, but now I have them mildly all the time.  When I try to get off the narcotics, they hurt so bad I can't sleep and nothing I take helps. Is this part of the WD?  They are from my knee to my ankle - in the front and pretty severe.
It's not so much that legs ache. They are very restless during withdrawals. But the same remedy applies to both. Take a good calcium/magnesium supplement along with increased potassium and that should help.
Good luck~
V.
What you describe is an opiate withdrawal symptom. A lot of people call it Restless Leg Syndrome, which I personally think is a poor name and not descriptive of the symptoms (and a lot of physicians don't even recognize it as a real condition, but one manufactured by the pharmaceutical industry). Anyway, the discomfort and pain in your leg is a very common withdrawal symptom. I eased it somewhat with lots of hot baths, and wrapping my lower legs in a heating pad. Vicki595,'s  advice to consume additional electrolytes (magnesium, potassium) and calcium is solid. Bananas have lots of potassium, and they don't worsen the withdrawal diarrhea. Sport drinks also have added electrolytes. I've noticed that some people take gabapentin (Neurontin) to ease the leg pain as well. And tell yourself frequently that these symptoms will diminish and then disappear in a relatively short time.

Best of Luck

LD
For me they aren't restless, it is a moderate to severe leg ache.  I take a good multi-vitie, Magnesium & Calcium, plus eat at least 1 banana per day.

My concern is it's not that because when the symptoms are described to me, it doesn't sound like what I experience.  Also- I am not in WD at all right now and I have pain in my legs. I got the same exact pain as a child when I walked a lot.  I'm just not sure if it’s adding up.  
I also get the same pain, but much less severe in my arms.  

Isn't there an RLS med? I'm definitely willing to try that.. if that works, that will really help me get off the narcotics - it is one huge reason why I'm afraid to quit.  

Interesting about the Neurontin...  does it work immediately or do you have to take it for a period of time before it starts working?
something that i found very helpful was Hylands restful legs.....they sell it at cvs wal-mart ect....those legs are the worst the the WD process
Great thanks so much. I always heard RLS is a symptom of WD, but I didn't associate my leg pain with that!  I thought it just meant you can't keep your legs still. I sure hope it works!!!
Thanks all!
I thought you were in withdrawal, and what you described really fit the leg aches that accompany withdrawal.  Sounds like you need to see a doctor for this one.

Regarding neurontin, I don't know much about it for leg pain, only what I've seen others write. Mainly its an anti-seizure medicine, but it doesn't have any real objectional side effects. I take them for anxiety and to help me sleep. For that they work so so.

LD