Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Leg Cramps

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Leg Cramps

I am currently taking 6-7 10 mg percocets everyday and have for the past 3 years after about 5 hours from my last pill I get sever leg cramps. I would love it quit but the cramps come on quick I scared to try to stop the pills
Have you tried the over the counter medication "Hyland's leg cramp's" medicine?  I think there is one also called "Hyland's restful legs."  I think I am going to pick some of the restful legs up today.  The leg cramp one is okay but it isn't getting rid of the leg cramps completely.

Have you thought about cutting your Percocet's in half and start weaning that way?  Are you being prescribed the medication?  If you just gave yourself smaller amounts maybe that would keep the leg cramps at bay or at least less.  I have been weaning off of Percocet as well for legitimate horrible pain that I had surgery for.  If I hadn't had pain meds for the past year I would have been stuck in bed the whole time.

If you are being prescribed the Percocet you could mention it to your doctor and maybe he/she could prescribe a medication to help with restless legs.  I would personally try the over the counter stuff first.  The prescription stuff probably have more side effects.  But if they are bad enough you may have to take something stronger.

Keep posting, the board is helpful.  Are you in physical pain other than the leg cramps?
Yes I am in legit (lower back) pain and receive the meds from a Dr.(pain management)  I have tried to lower the dose, and the leg cramps, sneezing, yawning, anxiety and the back pain have been too much to handle.  I also take Soma for sleep.  I dont have insurance, I pay cash for everything (around 500.00 a month)
Thanks so much for your reply.
bottom line...my life revolves around these pills and I'm scared to stop.
For your leg cramps, please try putting a bar of soap in your bed!  I know it sounds nuts, but I used to get severe leg and foot cramps frequently, both day and night.  I tried this method, figuring it was basically free, and couldn't do any harm, and I'm now a true believer.  Cramps are gone -- unless I wear socks to bed, or the soap falls out or if I kick the covers off.  Try it, it's a lot cheaper than seeing another doctor or buying meds.  Any type of bar soap apparently works.  The bigger the bar the better.  Take off any packaging so the soap is open and keep it near your legs during the night.  Good luck.
Try Extra Strength Tums. !000 mg take 2 at night and a cpl thoughout the day it really helps the leg cramps.