Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Life after methadone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Life after methadone?

Has anyone experienced a full detox off of methadone?  If so, how long did it take to feel the joy again in life?  And I have heard sometimes it takes a year to feel normal again.......what kind of symptoms does one endure doing this year of being clean from methadone?  Just want to know what to expect.  Thanks!
My friend was on methadone (not sure the dose when she went c.t) but I do know she pretty much was in her house for about 2 months and thats when she felt better...I know that amount of time sux, but it's better than dragging something out for longer even yrs. She went c/t on a higher dose than 15mg's though I know and doesn't regrete it one bit.
ive just done 6 months clean from methadone,  felt cr@p almost all the 6 months, i just started taking cymbalta,

http://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html

yesterday, i tried everything i could naturally but my mood energy and outlook was not improving, i took pain meds for 3.5 years for a back injury, last year was methadone (30mg day) stopped cold turkey.

NOTHING FUN ABOUT IT AT ALL.

i imagine some people will be able to get off it in a couple months and return to normal, i tried for 6 months and didnt seem to be improving, and have chosen to try pharmacutical help.

but ive read quitting antidepressants can be hard,

more will be revealed
I was on methadone for six months for long opiate use, and was up to 200mg of m'done and c/t off 115mg and my clinic doctor said the m'done can stay in my system for about 5 weeks. I was lucky that i never liked m'done and i had very light withdrawals from it and that was almost 4 months ago. With that being said, i still deal with my addiction every minute of the day so i hope you have a strong recovery plan because you are now going from active addiction to addiction recovery which could last for ? long. I have taken my share of drugs in my 38 yrs of using but nothing compares to this opiate addiction in trying to get clean and out of my brain. I just say this because to many ppl go back to their DOC after they got off the m'done because they think that detox is the end of the addiction when it's just the beginning of recovery. Good luck to you Jessica
Thanks for your honesty.  Of course its not what I wanted to hear but at least I know what to expect.  It just sux I have a family that relies on me so much right now.  I feel soooo useless to them.  Why isnt there a magic wand?
Yes, my husband wants me to follow up my detox w/some counseling.  The last 2 times I detoxed I relapsed cuz I never followed up with rehab...to change my way of thinking.  I just want to feel normal again w/o taking opiates. I want to feel that joy frm snowboarding down the mt. or biking the single trax, or just hiking with my kids through the rockies.  Nothing gets me happy anymore and I just cant live like this anymore.  You knw I am sure.
I am at the end of a very successful methadone taper that took a little over a year.  I am currently on 2mgs and have 4 weeks left at the clinic.  I have been clean for 2 1/2 years and have the max amount of takehomes.  I have worked harf to get my life in order and have slowly tapered according to the 10% rule at my clinic (you only go down 10% of your dose max at a time) and I went down once a week until I hit 18mgs, then switched to every 2 weeks.  I have had to stop twice for an extra 2 weeks; at 12mgs and 9mgs but other than that have had NO withdrawal.  I was a heavy opiate user before getting on methadone; 1,000mg oxy/day habit.  I am getting nervous but excited about being so close to done, but I feel like when I'm done at the clinic the real recovery starts; how will I do once I'm not accountable to anyone but me? I found this post after searching to see what other people's experiences after methadone were (after tapering successfully) and wanted to leave something encouraging for the next person who finds this post, maybe who is just starting out.  YOU CAN DO IT! If you want it, listen your your clinicians and comply with treatment; it works.  It's hard, but if you do it for yourself it is worth it.  If I can do it, so can you!
Hi !! I am excited to hear that you are down to 2 mg of methadone and almost done ...I have been going to a clinic for three years. I  got down to thirty mg on a taper and then found out I was pregnant and I couldn't taper anymore bc it wasn't safe for baby.  I had my baby six months ago  they brought me back up to 45 mg during pregnancy. Since her birth I have been tapering down I Am now at 20 mg and I was doing great no side effects! I was excited and then i got to 20 mg last week and it hit me like a train wreck ... I'm so nervous it's never gonna go away !! Can you tell me more of your story? I'm still feeling sick it's been a week and now I'm scared to go down anymore ...