Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Lifestyle Changes - Work Environment

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Lifestyle Changes - Work Environment

Hi...I saw numerous posts that provide great info and comfort for wds and aftercare and that's good.  I want to mention another aspect that was extremely important to my recovery and may help others as well;.. a different working environment.  

My story - typical corporate guy who worked his way up to exe management.  Lots of responsibility and quite a bit of stress.  My previous injuries prevented me from working the stress off (exercise in the gym) so you all know what I did to handle the stress ... of course, my pain meds (percs) really helped me come down or deal with the daily challenges.  Add a bad diet, bad sleep, and a few other things, well you know, probably a major cardiac incident was on the horizon.

When I realized meds were going to hurt me more than help (I actually had an incident where I thought I was od'ing), I knew I had to stop but I also knew I had to get out my current working environment as well.  So I took a MAJOR plunge and worked my way into a position where I have at least 50% less stress (I work from home now), tapered off the meds and started exercising again.

My point - if your working environment is terribly stressful or leaves you dissatisfied, there are numerous opportunities out there.  If recovery is a multifaceted affair, I believe you have to consider all aspects including the parts of your life that contribute to using meds.  I admire the people who take a week off from a stressful job, quit ct and then go back into that environment; I probably wouldn't have made it.

Since leaving the corporate office stress, I feel confident about the future, have no desire for pain meds, and have some serious exercise goals (my pic...hoping that will be mine soon lol).  

Just a few thoughts...don't mean to bore anyone.

Guy

I think that we have to get as many of the "triggers" out of our lives as possible and work is a huge trigger for many. I've also seen it be the complete opposite where the home life is extremely stressful and work is used to take the mind off of all the other stressful things going on. Stress is defined so differently from person to person that its hard to look into someone else's life and figure out what stresses them out the most.
You have an excellent plan and I applaude you for making the changes so that you can and will remain clean.
As for your workout plan it sounds great and very intense!! I know that is very good for you to get moving into great health and away from heart attack central. Pills are really bad and they hurt our health in sooo many ways!!
Keep up the excellent work!!
Hi Rose...thx for commenting.  My experiences are just that but if they can help someone else...great.  Yep, everyone has dfferent stressors and probaly most important, recognize them for what they are and try to minimize or eradicate them all together.  

Take it easy...Guy
hey, i also had an EXTREMELY stressful work environment. my job did not satisfy me anymore, it was a job in itself just to get up and go to that da mn place. they outsourced our department in april. but the stress leading up to that was a nightmare. now i'm at home waiting to go back to college. and i still have stress, but nothing like that. thanks for that post, it was great!
lisa
So, when your stress stems from kids, home, etc.....then I am just screwed? LOL
Yep...my kids stress me as well but I love em; I couldn't say the same for my boss lol.  Much rather hang with my kids and guide them through life versus increasing someone else's profit margin...

Lisa - glad things are working out for you; sometimes a layoff can be a really good thing :-); congrats on going back to college.

Guy
Give me my pic back...

Too funny but if you want to do 3 hours of cardio and weights daily and eat baked chicken and fish for 8 weeks...go for it.  I miss my pizza & pasta, bread, cookies, ummm...the list goes on.  lol
Dear Guy,
Thanks for the post, you are so very right!! I worked from home when I was using, I think a lot of it was boredom. I would finish my work and have nothing to do. I isolated from all my friends and was happy with my bottle of vicodin.
When I got sober, I knew I had to change everything about my life and getting a job elsewhere was a part of that.
I hope someone who is trying to get clean sees this because your point is a good one. We have to change everything in our lives that had to do with our addictions, everything, if we want to succeed.
Thanks for the tip!!
Stressful jobs = another Rx for percs.  I don't consume much, but I consume consistently.  I tapered down and withdrawals were only a couple of days. I still feel the urge to do them, unless, like you said, I keep myself busy.  Pulling people back into my life is the first step.  I'm there!  I'm good, excited and look forward to tomorrow (it's Friday).  

Been thinking about looking for a job closer to home with less stress.  My only drawback is that the $$ is EXCELLENT but I have to put a $$ value on my life (which is more important).

Thanks to everyone in the FORUM.  You are rock.
What do you do when you major form of stress is from your family?  Not my husband and girls, but my brother (bi-polar) who hates me one minute and then can't do anything without talking to me first the next minute.  Then there is the mother-in-law who tells me how to handle my household affairs and how to raise my children.  I mean, this woman doesn't just try to offer advice, she will come into my house and rearrange things and tell me they would be more efficient her way, etc.

Hi Taking - I can relate about the $$$.  I had to make a tough choice on that but it was all good through negotiation.  The $$$ wouldn't have met much if I didn't have a life to actually enjoy the earnings.

Tried - Hi!  You recognized what was your trigger and did something about it...that was the whole point.  Congrats on your decision.

Lady - Hi Again - I have similiar relatives (who doesn't :-) ) but I learned to recognize their actions for what they are and I don't let them bother me.  When the relationships get out of control, I just pull back for awhile after speaking with them and mentioning that their actions aren't helping anyone; they eventually get the point or understand that if they want to interact with us, they'll have to change their behavior.  Everyone's different so I wish you the best with this; families can be tricky sometimes.

Guy