Liver Damage
How likely are you to die from long term abuse of painkillers and alcohol- say four years worth of this. I started taking Mersyndol and Dolaced tablets with alcohol because I could not sleep and I had headaches. Sometimes I would take up to 30 tables at a time a couple of times a week. I realise codeine in high doses is bad and mixed with alcohol. I have never been to hospital, I dont appear to have yellowing of the skin or eyes. What is the likly hood of damage to my liver, and if stoped now could my liver possibly recover from and damege.
By now you probably do have a certain amount of liver damage.  You would have to have some medical tests to determine exactly what kind of damage and how much is present.  Jaundice (turning yellow) doesn't usually show up until the liver is about shot so that's not a good way to judge the state of your liver's health.  The remarkable thing about the liver is that it can somewhat repair itself over time.  If you have developed scarring (cirrhosis) nothing can change that.  If you stop now, consider yourself very lucky.  You may have carved some years off your lifespan by abusing drugs and alcohol, but you could easily die of something else before the liver becomes a primary health issue.  So ARE you ready to quit now?
Do you want off the pills and alcohol?  Make an appt with your doctor and have blood work done.  That way you will know what you are dealing with.       sara