Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Living with a Crack addict

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Living with a Crack addict

I just ended a long marriage with an alcoholic then prescription drug addict.  I am now in another relationship with someone who is addicted to crack.  I didn't know it at the time because I didn't know the drug.  I am a straight person, have been all my life and I have never even gotten drunk!  My question is that I just don't understand how someone who uses crack can go 3 to 4 months without useing then uses?  If someone has gone that long what makes them break the sobriety?

Solar
-1 Comments Post a Comment
It is hard to say. I can only speak for myself and say that when I relapse, it is because I have not dealt with the issues that had me use drugs to mask the pain in the first place.

Like you said, you are straight. It does not occur to you to do something so dangerous and so drastic to cover up your feelings, or your thoughts. But, an addict does just that. Until he gets to the core issues, he will continue to relapse.

Now, I need to ask. Please do not think I am trying to be rude, just helpful: Have you addressed the fact that you are attracted to addicts? I bring it up because you can break the cycle....

Good Luck.