Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Long Term Codeine Use

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Long Term Codeine Use

I have been taking codeine for a legitimate complaint for about 11 months now. 200mg every other day.

Will this cause damage if I keep it up?
Are you taking it as prescribed? Need more info before I can answer that one. If you are taking it as prescribed than I don't see why it would cause problems.
Peace,
Marcie
No, extracting from co-codamol 8/500's.
Maybe Dutchess Golden will have some insight....I don't know what codamol is and in the scheme of things not sure how 200mg relates to a normal/prescribed dose...sorry! She will most likely reply to this!  
Peace,
Marcie
No Bother. Thanks for you interest anyway.

Cocodamol 8/500's are 8 mg codeine and 500 mg paracetamol. I extract the codeine, discard the paracetamol and take it orally.

I've had nothing but positive results doing this, when I stop taking it I find it pretty easy. I'm just concerned about long term damage. I've been to my doctor and waiting on blood tests ATM.
  I have been using codiene or 5 years straight about  120 mgr a day somedays less some more.  I 'm healthy take care o my intestines though with herbs so I can go.  since I 've been doing that I eel good.  Don't wake up sick in the morning either, get it legitimatly although doctor roles her eyes every time I ask or my 3 months.   I think it ok although I'd rather quit but I am a addict and it dosen't mess with my lie cause I never take more then 2 at a time.  I'm sure the detox wouldn't be as bad as the stronger pills.  I quess I tAKE IT AS PRESCRIBED OH AND THAT 1200 MG acent you know the tylonol.  Do you have mild pain I do but I think it  might be the codiene,  I still get high on 2 pills ater 5 years.  ZPeople don't beleive me but its true no desire or something stronger not into the rush everyone talks about just into being  comortable.  I'd like to talk to someone that uses the same drug as me and wants to quit, I can't see taking this the rest o my days.
  do you want to quit I do sometimes and other times no.  I am a addict there I said it I like codiene.and pot  and my antidepressants  they all work well together people tell me I'm doing great, work take care o the kid husband bills paid I quess I have no motivation to stop using thats the problem that why I come here because I hoping something will happen and I'll want to quit, doesnt cost me much either well the pot does about 400 a month terrrible the pot is worse at this point. thanks just rambling   ramble on sister.
Yeah, I take it for mild but constant pain. I wouldn't take it otherwise, but I'm not gonna deny that I get extremely high on it. I feels so good, and I've taken most other drugs, so I have a good frame of reference.

I'd only quit if I found out it was doing me harm, after 5 years though, you sounds as though your doing okay.
400 what, dollars? Jeez Louise! :)
  I don't think it causes any harm just the tylonal can.  I'm on emtec 30 mg o codiene.  will a doctor give it to you, 8 mg isn't very much codiene is it.  I quess the extraction thing works, but the tylonal works on back pain too,  my doc know I'm addicted doesn't seem too concerned but won't give me anything stronger which is good.  shehas given me straight codiene but as I say that little tylonal helps pain.  i she does stop prescribing she will help me I'm sure I got a pretty good doc except she put me on a patch which wasn't a good thig at all.  got rid o that reall ast almost ended up in emerg.  I think I'll just stick with the codiene and limit my intake i I star taking 10 a day i'll get help but as I say it been 5 years and still the same.
  I know isn't that ridiculous there my horse I want I smoke alot o horses lol.  I don't think codiene is my problem eh.
I'm British, we don't get Tylenol. We co-codamol, but its basically the same thing. I don't like the idea of taking acetaminophen, we call that paracetamol, long term. I've heard it can damage your liver and stomach lining.

I've never heard of any serious problems with taking codeine long term, but I am a bit paranoid about medicating myself for so long.

Oh god, talking about it is setting me off. Heh.
What? Smoking with your horse!!! Er, what?

Mr. Ed. PMSL
  I want to buy a horse but the money is spent on weed, and 400 a month is the cost to board a animal.  My smoking is getting in the way cost  the habit is too expensive.  
What do you get for $400, in weight?
a  ounce is $140  good thing I don't smoke cigs  I quess I could be worse hell have been worse  its amazing what the body will take.  I think I'm on the antideprssants rom using MDA years ago .  Now the kids use cystal meth what a awul drug.  Its amazing I have a brain really I make beautiul silver and gold jewelry.  I think somethings in this world are luck you know.  I'm glad I made it to 44 years, and still healthy or all I have done to mysel in the past.  I'm grateul today.
Yeah, what do kids know of fun these days? Its all binge drinking and fake tablets. gimme the good old nineties anyday, nice pure disco biscuits, cocaine, and hash.

You know, talking to you is kind of like looking in a mirror. Hmm.
scary no just kidding things are pretty good as long as I'm alive and kicking those antidepressants really work.  I don't worry about things long term the meds I'm on anyways as long as I'm taking care o business.  although the world is a scary place I worry more about my children they are vert young worry and quilt are wasted emotions .  As long as they are happy I'm happy simple really at least I'll know when they are doing drugs at least one anyways the nine year old is severly handicapped  random gene thing rare no reason nothing I did, ther is the luck thing again.  cheers I like brits.
You shouldn't smoke so much, I used to get through an ounce a week. But gradually cut down to less than an eighth of an ouce and was still hgih as a kite all the time.

Its all about tolerance, especially with codeine. Its like walking on a razors edge with that stuff.
I know poor lungs I won't smoke any till tonight now .  got to keep busy my boredom is a state o mind got to shake it not bake it right getting too old or this.  I used to use herion 12 years ago and that was scary. your right about the codiene too. Thanks .
Codeine doesn't even work for me unless I control my tolerance. If I do, I can be flying for like 48 hours from a single dose. But take too much too often and bam, it just knocks me out and I wake up feeling terrible. I've got it pretty much figured out now though, its a great drug both medically and recreationally, if your careful with it.
  I don't think its a great drug even though I use it still havn't increased the dose  and vary rarely take more then 4 in 24 hrs.  codiene is tough on the old colon you dig and it is addictive i'm proo o that.  I like  it and hate it.  It leads other people to harder drugs I started with herion , glad I lost that habit now that screwed up my world glad some things in the past.  Should stop but eel I can't at this point so I control it,