Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Long Term Side Effects of Oxycodone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Long Term Side Effects of Oxycodone

Hi, I am 36 years old and have been taking Oxycodone(no tylenol) 5mg. x2 twice daily for two years. I have sever back pain from a car accident 15 years ago. I have been on and off oxy for the whole time but never for longer than a couple weeks until two years ago when the pain didn't go away. There is nothing they can do surgically to fix it so I have had to rely on meds. My dosage has gone up since I've been on it to help with the pain, I'm sure from my tolerance going up. If I don't take it I am almost in tears from the pain and walk with a limp. However, I have noticed that among other side effects that my memory is shot. I can't remember names of best freinds I've had and what got me really worried is I couldn't remember the name of my horse I sold about 2 1/2 years ago. The gal said her name and I just went blank. I'm really worried now and am wondering if it's from the meds. I want desperately to get off of them but have not found anything else that works this well even though my pain is never completely gone. Does anyone know if this is common or if it has nothing to do with the meds?
Hi~~  It doesn't sound like you're taking a lot of pain med. Are you taking anything else?

Sometimes,lack of sleep,stress,anxiety,etc...can make us forget things. Has this been going on for a while?  The first thing I'd do is see my family doctor for a check up and some conversation. Try not to worry.
I sometimes take tylenol or ibu with it. I also have sleep apnea so definately don't get enough sleep. Stress level is same as usual. I have 4 kids and do all the running around for the family. I'm just terrified to keep taking it wth all the longterm affects but have not found anything else that helps as well. I have done the whole muscle relaxers and naproxen thing to no avail. Thanks for the help.
Ha!  You've got a lot on your plate. No wonder you forget things!  Don't worry too much about it. When you forget what month it is...that would be cause for concern.

There are some pain meds that are longer acting. Have you looked into that?