Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Long term affects of babies born addicted to methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

We are less than one month away from adopting a baby additcted to methadone.  Are there any statistics about birth defects related to methadone addiction or any/all other things to anticipate?
I am not sure about statistics or medical news.... I am on methadone and go to a clinic...I have seen many people that were pregnant at the clinic and spoke to some of them. I got to know this one lady well and she was 27 and had been addicit to oxycotion for yrs due to  medial problems and when they found out she was pregnant they sent her to be put on methadone. She done methadone the whole time she was pregnant. Once she had the baby she (baby) stayed in hospital few extra days and then nothing after that baby was healthy and fine. I still see her from time to time and that little girl is beautiful and is doing wonderful. She is a yr now... I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you. DO you know how much the mother was on and was she going to a clinic???? Is the baby already born??  God Bless and keep u in prayers!!!
I am sure there are but I don't know where you would find them .I would discuss this with a doctor or someone from dss someone that has more knowledge about the child's birth mother .If she was on it threw here whole pregnancy the baby under a doctors care and the baby had good care when it was born then it should be fine .
Hi and welcome to the forum...as for your question...I personally know a neo/natal nurse that brings babys off heroin ,methadone ,ext and they usually do it at the time of birth or should I say the first few days after birth...they ween them off slowly to avoid as much withdrawals as possible...some of the babys react others dont just depends on the child everyone is different but once the withdrawal is over there just like anny other baby
you might be a bit concired  when the child hits adolescence addiction tends to run in familys so if your pre/disposed in your genes it could develope into a problem later in life  just a thought..good luck and god bless..P.S  I took in a teen girl with the history in the family and had very little trouble razing her...shes 23 now and doing well....Gnarly