Long term effects in painkiller addiction
I have had an addiction to codiene phosphate for a few years.  My GP is aware of this, and we are gradually coming of it.

But will there be any long term damage to my internal organs?
I have never been above 120mg a day.  Has this already caused me problems, or is it unlikely?  I must say, I originally took this for migraine. . not effective for that now, but still have to take it.  All done through my GP and have never experimented with any drugs even tobacco!
You must have the doctor increase your dose of methadone. At least by adding one more ten mgm. tablet to help with pain and this will stop most of your cravings and pain relief. Total daily intake of methadone for cravings and withdrawals usually starts at thirty mgm's. Work to drop all short acting codeine like meds. Such as vicodin,lortab,tylenol#3or4. Again,these meds alter your endorphin balance in your brain and CAUSE all the bad withdrawal feelings. It is in your best interest to increase your methadone dosage and stop with norco/codeine like meds. Twenty milligrams of methadone WILL start the process by blocking a good portion of withdrawals and cravings. But you must not continue with the norco/codeine. Think of methadone as the correct medicine for your pain/addiction problems,and norco/codeine as the CREATOR of you problems. Act Now! Good Luck, Be Spiritual!
Dan...
ps: I have been where you are and this is what solved
    my addiction/pain problems. Thirty years+ of research
    has proven methadone as safe and effective medicine and
    non-toxic to vital organs.

Hey, brother, am I imagining something, or did a couple of our posts from last night get deleted? You know which ones I'm referring to. I guess they didn't follow the party line. What fascists!
What's the point if you can't tell it like it is? I'm really disappointed in our "editors." So much for a forum where we can be open and honest. I suppose they'll delete this post as well ...

If anyone wants to know what we said, write me at
***@****, that is, if it doesn't violate anyone's lofty principles ...  'can't wait for the self-righteous reply I'll probably get for this one. I'm so tired of fanatics.

If I'm wrong and just can't find them, (they would be for 6-22) I apologize, but I'm pretty sure they were deleted before they could infect anyone. And so it goes ...

Thomas
Thomas, I think that whole thread that started with the bizarre sperm question got deleted. A shame, though, to delete all the comments because the question was so weird? That's just my guess. I read your & J.B.'s posts, and my feeling was, we are all just human and are willing to be human in each others' presence w/o fear of judgment or disapproval...which I personally think is the whole point of this forum. If we can't be honest here with each other, there aren't too many places left, the way I see it.
pixie -- jbear has a good suggestion for you there re the massage therapy schools. I have a great massage therapist who does all different kinds of body work. Last time I walked out of there feeling *so good.* I do sympathize with your frustration re doctors & insurance. I hope you find the effective treatment you need & deserve.

I noticed they have a sneaky trick. They can delete the title of the thread posts so it does not appear to be there but if you scroll through the entire thing it is really there!!!!!

That damn doctor must play us for a bunch of fools lower than himself. He deletes anything that's against doctors, pharmicists even when no names are mentioned. That is true censorship!!!
....your doing it right.  You have to type in> actiononpain then hit enter....in the search bar.  Then You will see the sight come up.  THen you have to register to have access to it.  Post back if you have any questions.  This is a great site/group doing wonderful things for the adequate treatment of chronic pain.  I am very actively involved, and just finished my letter to the DEA in Washington DC, and have corresponded w/ the founder of Asap/widowmaker just yesterday.  
I can't highlight it, but this is the link.  My letter is the last one, or second to last.  Tell me what you think.  I believe it would be a good idea for you to join.
http://www.asappain.com/DEAlettersOxyContin.html

Tried to go to that address and got only the Yahoo home page. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

ft

I just wanted to repost the post that was invisible on the board but still in the thread if you scroll through. Let's see if the doc is so neurotic he censors it twice!!!!!
First the main post, [Medievelable], long title, maybe that's why some did not respond, anyway I take 320 mg of Codiene Sulfate every day broken up 2-(30MG)pills every six hours or three and then change the remaining dosages if I awaken in extreme pain like this morning after last nights disgusting 15 minute seizure where I felt like I was in below zero weather, first time I have had a seizure where I felt cold, but that was much worse than just the violent shaking. I woke up shaking and thought it was just because I was cold because me teeth were chattering like when I used to live in Illinois over 25 years ago.

I tried to get up to get a blanket and was shaking violently from the coldness, so I thought, but then realized it was a seizure because I could not move my body. It really sucked!!!!!!

Anyway enough of my problems, I don't think you have to worry about your Codiene as I have been on the 240 mg daily with no problems, except it lowers the seizure threshold, uuhhgg.

Now to [Pixie], I know what you are going through it took me along time to find a good doctor who was willing to give the pain meds. It took becoming an alcoholic for my own pain management, improperly being detoxed and going through seizures and DT's on and off for three months, then in-patient detox, another relapse with seizures and DT's, and another detox, and then I finally got it through my thick skull to stop drinking booze forever. I now have a permanent partial complex seizure disorder.

The pain was still a major issue and my psychiatrist found a good doctor and they did all sorts of tests because they say the pain is from Fibromyalgia,,,,I say Lupus. I will receive a battery of testing next week called cognitive functioning something or other to see my brain function and it is supposed to show a number of things about what my brain is doing and it can even determin things like if it's Lupus or not. Then after they do that they, if they find brain damage, they try to do things to re-route the brain circuits, kind of like what the brain does on it's own after a stroke.

I hope you can find a good doctor like mine. Try a good psychiatrist. I have found women to be more compassionate then men. And tell her or him you need to address the pain issue because it is causing you severe anxiety, depression and it is making your life unfunctional and unbearable. They know people cannot struggle with severe pain for very lomg. I think you can find someone if you trust in God to help you and believe in our prayers for you and keep looking. I know how frustrating looking is, I almost killed myself over it many times in the past. God Bless You and We'll all be praying for you.

To [Cindi]- How's Florida??? Are you there yet. Yah, those mountains suck for driving, I would not want to try that especially in my mental state now!LOL Hope you are having a good time. Any nice looking hurricanes floating around?LOL Nothing over here yet darn it but the good ole Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone is finally doing what it should be doing across Micronesia!LOL

Sorry for the long post, I guess I am in a state of the Temporal Lobe Babble Syndrome again.ROFL
Last Thursday I saw my pain specialist he wanted to keep me on 10mg of Methadone twice a day, like I had said before I ran out early of the norco so I told myself and prayed to our Good Lord Above, I said Mind of Matter, and truly believed it, and guess what, NO withdrawls and haven't taken ANY Norco/Vicodin since last Thursday.  I'm so so happy and proud of myself, I'm sure the Methadone has alot to do with it, but the funny thing is that I was on Methadone a month ago and still overtaking the Norco like crazy, I guess its like what you said 'Doc' Dan, while on Methadone I dont think that the Vicodin even kicks in thats why I kept downing more and more.  I do feel like taking it if I had it, but I take Tylenol instead, thats like a dream come true, I've forever just wanted to take something like Advil or Tylenol.  Please tell me, I'm pretty proud of myself for not going crazy or wasting money on Foreign Drugs, I am doing pretty good right?  Am I on alot of Methadone?  It sounds like I'm not and I'm pushing through.  So for everyone else out there with Chronic Pain and tired of the terrible circus of chasing the terrible drug "Vicodin" see a Pain Specialist and see if they'll try you on Methadone.  Believe me I truly have a problem with Vicodin for 10 years now, and never ever have I gone 8 days let alone 2 days without taking some Vicodin/Norco.  I really have to motivate myself to believe I dont need it when it comes time to be able to refill the Norco, cause during work my back starts to burn and I would want to pop a few pills if I had them, but I really want to continue without.  Dan, what will happen if I continue to stop taking the Vicodin/Norco?  Will my endorphin level go back to normal eventually or No cause of the Methadone, please educate me, I really appreciate it.  You can also email me at ***@****              Thanks to everyone for your help and prayers, they were answered and I truly believe your prayers will be too!!!  God Bless All!!! :)
LOL   you are at rip...i'm waitin for the email.......did you like wanna punch this pharmacist and tell him it was probably him that went in to pick up our med? LOL  love ya
Hey chickie chick....talk to me sister...what happened wtih the pharmacist...am I gonna get mad at this one?    I talked to Brighty on the phone     what a hoot she is.....still in florida  check out my post at the top about brighty    ok,,,sun is out  i gotta get in the pool  LOL   love ya   cin
...I was told by my first pain dr. that Methadone was a very good medication for pain control, and as I read here, good for addiction also.  I was given three choices...Oxycontin, Mscontin and yes...Methadone.  I've heard nothing but good about this medication.  I am considering  a switch to it, because of all the negative stigma associated w/ Oxycontin.  I had an encounter w/ a pharmacist yesterday that leaves me a bit suspicious.  I really don't need the headache to boot, if you know what I mean. Best wishes,
Angelica
Hi Everyone,
    I've been watching the boards daily and keeping everyone in my prayers. I wanted to thank you all for your prayers and tell you they paid off. I went to the doctor about the tumor in my stomache yesterday. He had the results from my tests on Tuesday. There was no sign of the tumor on the new xrays. The first test it showed up on was a cat scan. It showed up before and after the contrast was given. The test I had Tuesday was an upper GI. It showed no tumor at all ! The doc said it was just gone. GOD IS GOOD !!!!!! Thank you for all your prayers. I will go for now. I'm very tired today.
    God Bless Everyone,
          Kerrie
.....AHHH! lol  I am so glad your having a good time, and I can tell by your posts.  I wish we all could be there, and I still believe that one day....one of us will hit the big one, and fund a reunion for us all.  Glad you got to speak w/ Brighty.  She is a wonderful person, truly.  
Do you really want me to ruin your day w/ my pharmacy story.  LOL  Well, I'll leave you w/ this:  Told me theother day that a shipment was coming in on Friday,and they could only fill half or I could wait(this is a whole other story, I'll email you that one later).....so this morning I went in to pick it up, and get this, The pharmacist tried to tell me that I had already come in to pick it up....I was like...WHAT???  Then I pointed out to him that ths was the other medication, not the Oxyc.  !!!!!  He says oh my mistake......duh
I'm really freaked out about this.  I don't know what kinda fast one they're trying to pull, and this is a small pharmacy run by two family members.....go figure.  Anyway, get lots of sun, and don't forget your sunscream!!!lmao  Don't want you getting fried, literally.  LOL  Keep in touch.
Sista,
Angelica
My husband takes methadone, but also abuses oxys.  He takes the meths to bypass the withdrawal because of their long-lasting effect, and takes the oxys to get high.  The meths do fine when he is out of oxys, but over if he takes enough, at least 60 mg.  He still misses the 'high' of it, and craves the oxys anyway.
I don't know if my husband is a person who will ever be able to eliminate all 'drugs/alcohol' in his life.  The best alternative would be a methadone maintenance program, but the problem with that is, he is highly addictive personality, and it will only continue keeping him in the 'drug dependent' lifestyle, and continue to crave other things.  I don't know who he can get past that one.  Also, i believe, as long as he is taking the methadone, they do block the proper function of endorphines, from what i can see.
I found, when i decreased my levels drastically, even while using small amounts each day, i could slowly feel my endorphines creeping back to life because things were getting to me more than they had been while using higher levels.  So it would probably depend on exactly how much methadone you plan to take each day; lower levels, more endorphines, high levels, less to no endorphines.  Just my opinion!  Hope this helps.
Jenny
thanks for making my day, no, my year! Thank god indeed! I'm so happy for you. I can't tell you how much you're plight affected me. You're obviously such a decent, caring person and to have to deal with cancer was an unspeakable injustice. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel so good to see a decent person like you get a break for a change!

My best to your daughter, too,

so happy, Thomas
PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!! Kerrie this news has brought tears of joy to my eyes! God Bless you and your family! May HE keep you in His light!
Power & Magick 2 U,
luv Wizard
That's fantastic! Thank you for sharing the wonderful news!!
HI Kerrie,,,,,THANK GOD!!!  you have been on my mind soooo much the past few weeks.....and my dear,,,,you are the one who has been telling me all along that GOD IS GOOD>>>>you are living proof that indeed it is true.....and one more reason to believe...he has brought you and all of these wonderful people into mine and each other's lives....God bless you my dear friend   Love to all  cin
Yes Ms Kerri there is a Santa Clause.  We are all so Happy! This has renewed my faith in our God....love Susan
Hello Everyone,
   Your words brought me to tears. Your genuine concern for others and your faith in God is truly evident. Thank you all.
   I wanted to share some news with you about my daughter. She has hit another obstacle. She went to her doctor the other day and was escorted out by the police. They said some girl she knew told them she had picked up her prescriptions at two pharmacies. I know this isn't true because the pharmacies said the girl was lying. However,the girl knows she's been to many doctors and uses many pharmacies and I think she told them this .They refused to give her records to her and the results of an MRI she had done and was suppose to get the results to. I know she didn't pick up those scrips but she was heading for this sooner or later. She talked to a lawyer because the one pharmacy she went to ,the girl told them pharmacist my daughter took one from another pharmacy and the pharmacist said she would testify against the girl. I think it's in her best interest to drop it because she was using her insurance under her last married name and her present married name and they will discover this if she persues it. I fear disaster is near. She does crazy things when she can't get meds.So I ask you all to keep this in your prayers. Gods will be done not mine. I know I can't do anything. I've tried.I've begged her to come to this forum and just read. But she won't.
    Continue to keep me in your prayers. The pain is rough these last few days. Their trying me on a new medicine for the reflux.It's called Nexium. It's a new one from Prilosec. So far it's no good. I'm suppose to have a colonoscopy on Tuesday but I think I have decided enough is enough for a while.
    Have a good day and Cindi, have a great time dear. Love you all. You have all become a special part of my life. Thank you all.
       God Bless,
          Kerrie
...My dear sister!!!  Evidence of faith in action.  Miracles do happen....God is real, and he takes care of his children.  He did it for me, Kerri and YOU too........He never leaves us nor forsakes us.......Praise GOd!!!  You are a living, walking, talking, faithfilled testimony before our eyes, and we were here to acknowledge it!!!!!!!!  Love and Best wishes,

Angelica  <><   < ><
My dear 1st forum friend.Angelica..I know how strong your faith is and the words you write always never fail to bring tears to my eyes and goose bumps....love you   and my dear Susan...how you remind me of me.....we fall and we fall hard don't we?  we wear our heart on our sleeves....you are too sweet,,,someday we will meet...but I have a funny feeling that if I saw anyone of you on the street we would know each other.....our souls have connected through this disease in one way or another...and in his own once again mysterious ways.....God has worked his magic......love to all       your friend   cin
I just reread the Chipping Post, from back in May. Gosh I missed you guys last week. Wizard, lovely Jennyfla and Cindi who I hope to met in Fla. over the summer. Chad from Philly! where are you? JAY JAY? Spook? I'm so happy for Kerri. Thomas, Milo and Francois, you know guys we should have a reunion. If I ever win the lottery I'll fund it! Someone Please come up with a name we could call ourselves, we could even have T-shirts and balloons printed. Maybe somewhere out west we could met, or Fla. to be close to sunshine, the ocean, and of course Cindi and Jenny will already be there.....Ah wishful thinking....I hope we will stay close, I've seen many leave here......Love you Guys....Susan
I'm so sorry sweetie!  I'm was happy to hear of your good news about your not having a tumor, but it seems you just deserve to get a break with things so you can relax and enjoy life for a change.  Many hugs and prayers for you and your daughter.
Going through turmoil with a husband is one thing, but with a child, that must rip your heart in two.  I have three children (8, 5, and 1), and i hope and pray that one day, this ugly, nasty disease does not attack them because i know, genetically, they are vulnerable!
You take it as you can, and wait on that test.  Give yourself a little time to recover from the stress of all the medical doctors, because i could imagine, it gets old fast!
I pray the right thing will happen with your daughter.  Sometimes, the thing that seems awful at the time, ends up being the best thing for a person!
Love and prayers, Jenny
Hi Girlfriends,
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I know this trial with my daughter will come to a head soon. I feel it in my heart. I just hope it's  not a horrible ending. I talked to her this morning and she begged me for a pain pill. I think she's having terrible withdrawel. I did give her one. I know she couldn't get high off one and I hoped it might ease her a bit. But I told her she need not beg or plead for another one because it won't happen . I've held to it and she knows I'm serious. She met me at church to get the pill and she looked sober but there's such a sadness about her. I reinforce my love for her everytime we speak but I also make her listen to what I have to say. I tell her each time ,I know she's an addict and that it's a sickness. I want her to understand what all of you have made me understand. I use to look down on her untill I met all of you. Thank God for opening my eyes to the truth. But I don't want her to use sickness as an excuse to continue. I've seen more than once how quick everyone is to tell it like it is to anyone not seeking help. I plan to do the same for her and my sister and brother. I'll quit now. I'm rambleing.If we ever do have a reunion with all our forum family,we'll never get any sleep. I could talk to yall for ever I think. Thank you all. God Bless you good people.
              Kerrie
Wow,,,  well,   as much as I hate to say this.....everything happens for a reason...soemthing good will come from all of this.....if you need me Kerrie  you know I am here...I still check my mail.....I may not get online as much as I do at home but I will at least be on once or twice...my friend has a son in a situation   bad scene.....alot of trouble and his wife is facing major felonies.....I feel so bad for all of this....hang on  you'll be fine.......God is with you...Love to all   love cin
I see the compassion you have for your daughter.  This is truly a sad situation, and w/ all your medical problems.  Your daughter will beat this one day, and realize what a wonderful mother she has, we all should be so lucky!!  I have gone through similar problems w/ my husband and his choice of dope is pot.  People look at our family and think we have it all...and people are always wanting to compliment us on how well behaved our children are, but there is this little problem I have w/ my husband......he's a fanatic w/ this stuff, and I call him a seasonal junkie.  He quits for about 4 months, then he benges.  People think this stuff is mild, but I've seen him do things he wouldn't normally do, like let us leave in the middle of the night(because of it)or threaten divorce, or risk his job....all the stories sound so familiar, and this disease has touched all of us.  I drove around for 2hours in the middle of the night last  night, crying and wondering when is this torment ever going to end.  He's so stupid when it comes to this.....he's risking everything he's worked so hard for.  He wouldn't let me leave w/ my children.....so they were calling me on my cell phone begging me to come home.  I hate what this does to our family.  I may be shocking a few, because I'm usually giving the advice and support, but I'm not in a good place right now.  Things can be so good one minute, then it happens all over again.  When I first started posting here, I didn't even think of my husbands little problem, because he had quit for a good while, and he was normal again........thank God I found you all.  Now I have friends to talk to.  Kerri, you once said...that I never complain, well here ya go...LOL  I'm getting tired of being the rock in my family and baring all the problems from mom/Dad all the way down to the cousins and aunts/uncles.  Don't ever feel alone.  My family is a mess.  I totally relate.  Take care,
Love,
Angelica
You are another of the special "angels" here. You've read and heard it all from the worst to the best. I think you know deep in your heart of heart that there is ALWAYS hope. Please do not dispair. Pot is like the "little dragon" and I'm speaking from experience. That too was an obsession for me for many years and one day just like the opiates I just had had enough. after 18 years of daily smoking it I put the pipe down 17 years ago and never looked back at it. You are very right about it not being harmless. When in the hands of an addictive personality it can be life ruining. I loved the stuff, mentally still do! But it also took over my life and took away any ambition I had. The choice has to be his for HIMSELF. We addicts can't do it for just for the family. We always go back unless we decide to do it for ourselves 1st. The benefit for the family comes in us quiting to save ourselves. I will pray for him Angelica. Does he ever read anything on the forum? Would it help? Or is he just not ready? You can complain to me anytime LOL! You know I'm always around for youeither here or by e-mail.
God Bless you and keep you.
Power & Magick 2 U,
luv Wiz
I read your comment about pain specialists and was curious.  I am now down to 2 pills a day, breaking them in half and still miserable from withdrawal pain.  I've been checked physically and everything appears ago (heartrate and blood pressure).  I'm sure you haven't read my posts because it's been awhile but I starting weaning at 14 a day, dropping .5mg every 3 days of 10mg. Lortabs, so I'm almost done; but I can't believe I'm in more pain now from withdrawal symptoms.  It would seem since I'm so low with my dosage that I could basically, just stop.  What do you think and please give me any names you have of pain specialists that you mentioned.  I live in Overland Park, KS but I would drive or fly wherever to see the right Dr. to get over this.

whitedove
Pam
***@****
Hi hon,   can I be totally honest with you?  I have suspected that things were not quite right with you   lets say I was able to sense that something was up...you have not been yourself,,,you had not been posting much,,,and not sending the e-mails like you were and your sense of humor....has not been "Angelica like" lately....Angelica,,,,please know that you don't have to suffer in silence....you know me far to well to let that happen...and then of course you have Brighty, Wiz and everyone else that loves you and cares about you....and of course,,,,the most important thing of all,,,,,your relationship with God...it is in the roughest of times that he is with you the most....you know the "footprints in the sand"  where in your roughest most sorrowed times he carries you?  you have often quoted from the Bible during MY most sorrowful times..and you have gone to the ends of the earth to defend your beliefs to certain characters....and I have found your passages to be so very comforting,,,,and you know there for awhile, the anger I carried. the faith I thought I had lost.....it was you and the others that helped to restore what I lost...lean on us,,,look to us for comfort but remember your God will see you through..he will watch over you and your family,,,,,and as I have learned a long time ago but more recently forgot....let his will be done....don't shed silent tears,,,,share them with us and let us help to lighten your load and your burdens....as one famous lovely lady I know so well always says  "chin up mate"   love you hon......cin
Please read my most recent post.  I'm going to the hospital AGAIN, this a.m.  I am down to 2 Lortab and my hands and legs are shaking, I'm rocking back and forth, my heart is racing, etc.  You would think, I would have really turned a corner by now.  But, I guess with all the other meds I'm on, it's become confusing to everyone.

Please pray for me.  As I've said once before, I hope that I am admitted and you won't hear from me for awhile.

Fondly,

Pam
whitedove
Pam, I just read through your posts and I want you to know that I will say some special prayers for you my friend.It is a very hard place that you are in right now but please know in your heart that God doesn't give us more then we can handle. It may not seem that way at the time of our tribulations. But when we DO reach the light I feel we look back at them as stronger people and say to ourselves I knew i could do it. you are a wonderful part of our family Pam. You have a lot to look forward to. We will be rooting and praying for you through this. Just look over your shoulder and Gods "angels" will be there . Bless you dear and may peace come to you during this time.
Power & Magick 2 U,
Peace & Light on us all,
Wizard
Hi Hon,   I'm sorry I didn't read your post earlier...i have alot going on here now I am packing to go home on Friday,,,Kinda hard to read and answer what I have to when 5 people are waiting for the computer  LOL I remember before when yo had a hard time cutting your doseage,,is your husband still holding the meds?  and you are still haveing so much discomfort?  wow,  that is strange..yo really should not be having such an uncomfortable time I wouldn't think but...each person and each body is so very differents....some people get over the WD's in 3-5 days..of couse depending on the dose etc.  and like you said,,,you are on other meds....at any rate...Please, hang in there,,,don't give up...hopefully you have found a good addiction specialist....you have my aol addy?  ***@**** you need me,,please know that I am there...good luck and keep us posted   love to all    cin
........Would he come to the forum and read?? Well, he's real busy(..and this is his excuse for getting stoned)and I've had him sit and read on a few occasions, but it just doesn't hold his interest, and I believe he thinks it's a waste of time.  Your right about ambition....he's very ambitious....toooo ambitious, and when he sees it diminishing...well, thats when he decides to quit. This is why I call him a seasonal junky!!! LOL
Hey you just gave me an idea!!!! I could print the pages out, and put them in his brief case.....He works nights at a university.  Hopefully, God will do the rest.....
Angelica
Amen to that Sister! I know EXACTLY how it is. It is inGods hands. But it is NEVER to late for miracles to happen. I LOVE the idea of the notes in the brief case. He's gotta want to do it though. FOR HIM as I said.The rest comes along as the reward! Bless you darling I will pray for your family as always.
luv Wiz
Cindi:  This is so unbelievable.....very perceptive!  As usual, you are right on target.  I thought things were wonderful...or at least getting to be that way, and then he falls off the proverbial wagon again.  I know this may seem silly, but you all have no idea how stupid he gets w/ this stuff...like going on nights to run his business during the day, and I know when he's not calling me, he's down in a building somewhere getting stoned.  I asked him, if he couldn't control himself to please not put it in my house.....well, I found it in one of his shirt pockets....go figure.  I could go on and on......Your post touched my heart, and I almost couldn't write...tore up ain't even the word???  Thank you.

Wizard:  What you said is so matter of fact!.....It's like you know him, cause you've been right where he's at.  The mood swings is what I can't take.. He quits for me, (see your right, he's got to do it for himself) and then he comes down like gang busters on me, and blames me for everything.  He's so sweet and genuine when he's clean... We got into one of the worst arguments, we've ever had.  I guess, "I just got enough!"  Thank you for your time and devotion to this forum, and for that post!!!  Yall(LOL) have no idea what a relief it is....to finally have someone who understands.
To both of you and everyone......if I'm not posting, don't think i've given up on the forum....I love you guys too much.  I'll always be back, no matter how hectic things get on my end.  I am determine to see this situation resolve one-way or another.  God bless my friends!
Love,
angelica
Hello, I had just found this forum and was reading over the letters about pain specialest...I had injured my back 2 years ago and had a double lamenectomy done..When I woke up from the surgery, I could not feel my legs, I ended up being in the hospital for 2 weeks, and went home on Oxycotin, and Oxycodone..What I am wondering about now is...I have been on these medications for 2 years now, I am on such a high dose now, 100mg Oxycotin 3 times a day and Oxycodone 10 mg 3x dly...My family doctor tells me that it is too high of a dose to be on...Yet he was the one who referred me to this pain doctor in the beginning!...My question is??? Is there anyone else out there who is on such a high does as me? Or is this really not a high dose?...I had found out 6 months ago that I have a diease in my back which attaches to my spine, it is called arachnoditis..and there is no cure for it, only pain medications...I am a mother of 4 beautiful children and I am afraid of the "quality" of my life being on so much pain medication, yet..I have tried to be off of any of it and cannot deal with the pain?...Confussed and Scared...Thanks Annamariea
Hi,  welcome to the forum,,,I think the first question that peole will ask you is do you feel you have built up a tolerance to the oxycontin?  this is generally what happens..obviously you need the pain meds as do alot of us...and if they improve the quality of your life then why stop taking them?  all though I don't recall you mentioning the fact that you want to quit taking them all together did you?  Perhaps it is time for your physician to consider changing your medication...maybe to something like MS contin which is a timed release Morphine or the duragesic patch...these medications are your best bet as opposed to vicodin etc. for long term use..for reasons such as the amount of tylenol found in the vicodin..where as the oxy and morphine are safe from acetaminophen thus saving your liver...maybe instead of the oxycodone he can give you the oxyIR?  talk with your doc about switching your meds if that is what makes you more comfortable he, above all people should know that a tolerance will develope when a person is on ling term medication..   Good luck  keep us posted   love to all  cin
Welcome to the board. I'm only going to answer what I know about.
Your doseage of oxycontin as I know it if it is time released, and I think it is, seems a little high if you are adding hydrocodone to it. I believe the 100 mg is the largest dose per pill I've personally taken. But there are factors that are not clear here either and I'm not an  M.D. I personally have taken MUCH more than you have described but that wasn't the directions from the Dr. I know of people here who have taken enough to put down an elephant.  Me being one of them. The part of the picture that is important is how much pain are you in and what kind of quality of life would you have without the meds? If you are taking what your pain specialist has prescribed then you should be discussing this with him or her. There are other methods of pain relief that may want to ask your Dr about the fentanyl patch (spelling?) There are others on this forum who have more experience in these matters of chronic pain relief. I can tell you that if you are going to come off of the meds you have come to the right place for support. We have a group of "angels" here who have been lifesavers to a lot of us. What is important is that you are in the right frame of mind and body for your self and your children. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG OR TO BE ASHAMED OF by taking pain medications for the relief of suffering. If you are drug free and a basket case then there is no quality of life for you or your kids. God bless dear and I will pray for your relief. I'm sure some others will be jumping on here with more advice.
Peace & Magick 2 U,
Peace & Light from above on us all,
Wizard
.....You need to speak to people who are going through similar situations w/ their lives.....I am one of them.  We are what is called involuntary addicts and we will depend on our meds for quality of life.  Nevertheless(call it what you may) we are addicts.  Here is the site:  www.***@**** the site comes up: type in actiononpain.  I hope this helps.  I am here if you ever need to talk......and I am also on Oxycontin and Norco for breakthrough pain.  This was not an easy decision for me to make, but my wonderful friends here, have helped me through some of the most confusing times in my lif, just recently.
Hey guys!  My mouse was out.....more like dead, and I just replaced it tonight.  Cin; i will get around to that email.  We need to touch base chickadee.....lol  Hope all is well ..you too wiz!.....I haven't seen any rainbows lately.  LOL

I just read the comments on this page, you guys sound so supportive, it is wonderful.  My question is what are the long term effects of pain medications on vital organs? I have been on norco daily for over a year now. It is a hard road, but you guys already know that.  Thanks, lyn
You are on a 7 year old thread, Go to the forum and get to the top.
ok here is my opinion, i have chronic fibromyalgia and back, knee, neck problems but i only take aleve gel caps which helps really well. everyone in here that has an addiction aloud it to happen and enjoys putting poison in there systems....i have a father that is a narcotics addict and is very abusive towards my mother and the rest of my family...it is a shame when you think more of drugs then you do your family, i feel no sorrow for anyone that abuses drugs of any kind. i was prescribed narcotics and took them and all anyone takes them for is the high because thats all it is is a extreme high that is deadly. i pray that every doctor that precribes these drugs lose there career.
What a horrible, horrible thing to say. I doubt you even read through this whole thread or there's no way you would have made such an ignorant comment.
I went to a pain management doctor for 9 years after 2 auto accidents for spine, head and neck pain and also a lower spinal fracture.
My doctor had me on so many drugs such as 10/325 norco 8 a day and morphine suckers then to fentanyl patches, xanax, prozac, adderall. I completely came unglued and almost lost my family and don't even have complete memory of the past 9 years. I finally told my doctor that I had stopped some of the medicine and not to give me any more she was upset because I went through severe withdrawl without getting off slowly and it was dangerous before letting her know. Then for a long time I was only on xanax and norco and then I stopped taking xanax and eventually stopped norco and I have been painkiller free since July 2009. Now I only take prozac which went from 60mg per day to 20mg per day I tried to stop it but the depression became unbearable so I have to keep taking a small dose. I still have everyday headaches and spinal pain and sometimes can barely walk and find myself caught up in severe fatigue that keeps me on the couch alot my family complains because I sleep to much I do try to get up and be active but it doesn't last long and I become so fatigued I have to lay down or my hips and back start bothering me. I have learned to live with the pain and choose to be drug free but I feel my price is becoming a couch potato. Could the fatigue be a long term effect from such drug use and if so does it ever get better?  Darla
Do you take any vitamins.I still take my b12,omegas,VitaD,bComplex,Coemzyme Q10 every day.If I forget,I feel sluggish.
Are you taking at least ibuprofen or tylenol for your pain?
Since I stopped opiates I found otc pain meds work just fine.
You were brave to quit all those opiates for they cause severe rebound pain.
Good for you.
I currently work in the medical field & see the fortunate & unfortunate results of narcotic use as well as addiction. My recent diagnosis of Lumbar Deterioration as well as herniation has me experiencing extreme pain. My first symptoms of back pain occured after a 5ft fall in 2004. I refused to seek treatment because I was pregnant at the time & I knew from experience that nothing would be done medically. Throughout the years, this pain progressed & worsened. After 2 seperate series of epidural steroid injections, steroids, antinflammatoy treatments, I have been referred to a Pain Management Specialist who shockingly perscribed me Norco 180 pills with 3 refills ! I have found after taking these pills that addiction can sneak up on you quickly. After taking 4/day, I noticed my body was responding well & found myself able to go on with daily household activities. The days I had to work, I could not take them & experienced terrible withdrawl symptoms. I have slowly tapered myself off to now only 1/2 tablet per day & intend to find another source of pain control. From my experience, I have concluded after 2.5mo. of using this product, that pain medication addiction is more of a mental addiction than physical. The physical withdrawl only lasts for 3-4 days.
I currently work in the medical field & see the fortunate & unfortunate results of narcotic use as well as addiction. My recent diagnosis of Lumbar Deterioration as well as herniation has me experiencing extreme pain. My first symptoms of back pain occured after a 5ft fall in 2004. I refused to seek treatment because I was pregnant at the time & I knew from experience that nothing would be done medically. Throughout the years, this pain progressed & worsened. After 2 seperate series of epidural steroid injections, steroids, antinflammatoy treatments, I have been referred to a Pain Management Specialist who shockingly perscribed me Norco 180 pills with 3 refills ! I have found after taking these pills that addiction can sneak up on you quickly. After taking 4/day, I noticed my body was responding well & found myself able to go on with daily household activities. The days I had to work, I could not take them & experienced terrible withdrawl symptoms. I have slowly tapered myself off to now only 1/2 tablet per day & intend to find another source of pain control. From my experience, I have concluded after 2.5mo. of using this product, that pain medication addiction is more of a mental addiction than physical. The physical withdrawl only lasts for 3-4 days. The faster you convince yourself that your body is addicted (experiences of withdrawl.. such as insomnia, sweats/chills, nausea) I believe you should start tapering off weekly! This is such a dangerous drug! Why a physician dispenses large quantities is beyond my comprehension. I understand that pain can be difficult to deal with through personal experience, but addiction... whoe, that's more painful than the original pain itself, cause now you have 3 things to worry about..1: Physical/Mental withdrawl 2:Liver Damage 3:Altered Mentations !! I've read most entries & refuse to become part of the stigma placed on patients with chronic pain. I confrence & listen to physicians speak about "chronic pain" patients and it's demeaning .... 95% of doctors want nothing to do with us, because we most likely will find any other excuse to get pain medicine. So, i've decided to go back to my anti-inflammatory meds...& live with my crying pain in silence...