Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Long-term effects of DXM

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Long-term effects of DXM

Are there any harmful long-term effects of DXM?
For example, if you take one bottle of Robitussin every month.
Also, is there a difference between the cough syrup and the gel caps?
not sure..i dont think one bottle a month is considered overdoing it...the gel caps can be pure dxm but it is monitored at the store if u buy these just like ephedrine products..i bought some of the caps that were 15 mgs of dxm for my cough as i was sick for a month...i think it takes quite a bit to abuse dxm and not sure of what happens as i have never been tempted to abuse it..i do know it is monitored cos some do abuse it tho
Depends. Are you taking the whole bottle at once to get high, or just taking correct doses for a cold? If you're taking a lot at once to "trip", then you need to stop. I had a friend in high school who did it once a month or every couple of weeks for a long time (2 or 3 years) and it really messed his brain up. He's never been the same, and he's 30 years old now. He hasn't done it since those days, and never fully recovered. The reason DXM makes you "trip" in large doses is because it's a dis-associative (spellcheck?) which quite literally means that it seperates your mind from your body. DXM is a morphine derivative. it's basically morphine with all of the analgesic properties removed. The high you get from taking large quantities of DXM is the same mental effect as what you'd get from large doses of morphine. The difference of course, is that if you took that much morphine you'd overdose and die. And it's possible to die from the DXM. All in all, it's just a bad thing that no one needs to get into. Only take it in the correct dose, for a cough.
I had my first encounter with Robotusin when I was about 19-20 yrs old. Not knowing the lasting effects on my body, I thought it was the greatest feeling in the world. I remember telling my friend who had never tried it, and he didnt think that it would really work as I bragged. What a fool I was. When I was "trippin" I would engage in activities that I wouldnt normally do making me feel horrible when I came off the high.

Now not having used the drug in over 3 years I feel long-term effects. I feel like I am in a constant daze. When it comes to  making decisions... dont count on me. I feel alot of paranoia now, more than I had ever felt. I am suspicious of people. I can not complete a long-term task like school. I feel as though my thoughts are delayed and some days I feel sorta stoned.

If anyone is comming to this page to make a decision to or not to trip on robotusin, by all means dont. Look around you and think about would you like to be as I descibed uptop. Constantly living in a mental cage where you can not escape. Looking around you and wondering how does everyone else function so well, while you sit in a daze and have a slow reaction to everything around you. I

If anyone reads this, Please.... Please.... Dont "robotrip".
Thank you so much for sharing your story! I wish more people would do what you just did, and make it known that "Robo-tripping" can ruin lives. In high school, I saw so many of my friends poisoning themselves with it that it just broke my heart. The kids who were constantly doing it looked worse than kids who were hooked on cocaine and ice. Ane they had no idea that their whole personalities were changing. And several of them messed themselves up so bad (permanently) that they are on mental disability today. I did end up addicted to opiates, but I consider myself to be extremely lucky because I didn't like it at all. I hope that you never hesitate to tell this to anyone who will listen.

Thanks again, KLM_81
Take note of this, the "occasional" use of recreational drugs rarely stays that way. I am not implying that drugs are always abused, just that abuse is easier than casual use. I am in my twenties now, but when I was about 13 I started to use DXM as a recreational drug and it grew to be the single greatest addiction of my life. I have abused heroin, crack, cocaine, alcohol, ketamine, pain killers, tryptamines, LSD, mushrooms, nearly everything under the Sun. I have quit them all, haven't used any of them in two years. DXM is a different beast altogether, it is my anti-matter. In my early teens I found a website selling 99.99% pure dextromethorphan hydro-bromide and bought some. I was a chronic; read near daily, as in 340 days out of 365, abuser taking an average of 1,000mg and I have consumed 2,800mg of it in a single sitting. I am a lucky survivor and I SHOULD be dead. Instead I find myself fairly successful but I live with the constant fear that my demon will take it all away. I am in professional counseling but due to the OTC nature of DXM and the difficulty of screening for it I am still an abuser, I go as long as I can usually in the 5-10 day range, and will always be haunted by it. If anyone is reading this, DXM may be an incredible substance, but the overall danger overwhelms any positive benefit. Some wounds are too deep to properly heal. By the way, while DXM IS an opiate derivative it is so heavily chemically altered that it is technically a dissociative more closely related to PCP, Ketamine, and some surgical anesthetics.
it started doin it once.
a few wks later,
once more...
next i knew i was doin atleast 2-3 boxes/bottles per day for a good 9mos.
i shouldve died twice!! (no joke!)
got into alot of trouble and ruined alot of good friendships because of it.
what i hate the most now,
my relationships with people are totally different now..
my whole me is just quite off track, i can feel it.
theres no forgetting what i did to myself. at all, ever!!
i eventually came out of though, thank god!!!
but now im sittin here with extreeemelyy high blood pressure (179/121)
thats rediculous,
not only that but im different..
everything is!!!!
its unexplainable, but i know life will never be the same.
ive told my story too many times,
but im glad im here to tell it!
now i wont even take cough meds for a cough...
no matter how bad, i dont care.
not even cough drops/strips with dxm in it.
nooo waay!!!!
and i hiighy recommend you dont either!
its not worth it,
nothing is. nobody is.
because at times now i still feel all the negative effects, just without the high..
and let me tell you it *****!!
i could stroke out or have a heart attack any day, even though im on a couple different pills controlling that control my hypertension pretty well.
it still has its own way of thinking and goes up real fast real high, all just depending.
i constantly feel my heart beating so irregularly and extremely fast,
a steady tight pressured feeling like its gun explode out my chest,
horrible horrible headaches,
im a very excessive sweater now (no deoderants help, even perscription. ive tried it all)
i feel like a completely different person,
theres no doubt in my mind that ive changed mentally more than anything,
theres so much more...
fry my brain, liver, heart and so on (the list gets really long, too long!)
we could be here for years, literally!!
but IM JUST WARNING YOU not to waste ur time,
its fun yeah. but ruins your life!
if not in this way, itll get you somehow or another..
physically, mentally and emotionally!!!!
<3 <3
I am a 24 year old female.

When I was 15, my friend introduced me to DMX.  We took it and she ended up OD-ing and ended up in the hospital.  I probably should have gone to the hospital too.  I took 8 Cordicidans and 2 hours later, I wasn't feeling anything, so I took the rest of the box (16 pills total).

All I remember is tripping so hard, I had no idea where I was or who I was.  I was scared and freaked out.  Strangely enough, after that night, I found that needed DXM to escape insecurities and reality.  I tried different products until I found the one I liked the best (CVS brand cough suppressant).  It made me feel invincible.  I had so much energy and I became the outgoing, friendly person that I wanted to be.

I didn't do it a lot at first (because I didn't have a car to go get it).  I did one 4 ounce bottle a couple times a month.

Things got out of control when I got my driver’s license.  I had a job to buy the cough syrup, a car to get the cough syrup, and trusting parents.  I consistently did it 3-4 times a week (4-8oz a day).

There were times when I would spend two months just binging on DXM.  I would start out with 4 ounces a day but my tolerance grew and I worked my way up to 8+ ounces a day.  One time I drank 24 ounces.

I wasn’t thinking about side effects, I just needed to get away from everything.  I figured that I had done enough damage to my body that there was no point in quitting.

I really didn't feel negative side affects until into the 3rd year of my addiction.  I would get sharp pains in my chest and I was 20lbs underweight.  

When I turned 21, I would constantly drink alcohol with cough syrup.  It intensified the trip and the cough syrup was my remedy for hangovers.  They went hand in hand for me.

I finally wanted to quit after 7 years and I tried quitting more times than I could count.  I would get up to 3 days sober and life would feel unbearable and I would look for justification to do it again (usually for energy).  

After 8 years (August 2008), I was through letting DXM control my life.  I finally quit cold turkey.  It WAS the hardest obstacle I have ever had to overcome.  It has been almost a year since the last time I tripped and I am still fighting cravings to this day.  My speech is slurred when I get flustered; I have issues with anxiety, extreme paranoia, fatigue, depression, chest pains.  My memory is shot and I have a hard time finding the words I’m trying to say.  

I can’t go back to prevent my life from taking this path, but I can learn from it and move forward from there.

Please take my advice and stay away from DXM and all other drugs especially if you have an addictive personality like I do.  
PS-- I just realized I put DMX in the start of my post instead of DXM... I'm new to this community and I can't figure out how to edit messages.
Just for the record, I've never met DMX  :)
When I was 18, I used DXM extensively for about 9 months.  I got to the point where I was taking 56 skittles per day.  My best friend was doing the same.  The difference is that I decided to quit, and she did not.

She still takes skittles to this day.  I have heard her speech slur from time to time.  But most of all, she is not the same person.  It has taken over her personality.  We have stopped talking because she is so different now.  I know that time changes people, but she is not the girl I used to know in any way.

As for me, I had speech problems for a few years, but I have pretty much worked through them.  My biggest problem is my short term MEMORY!  I can't remember anything anymore.  I have to make lists constantly to remember anything.  When I leave the house I have to say, "Baby, pacifier, time card, wallet, keys, etc"  so that I don't forget anything.  This is just ONE of my lists I have to use to get through my day.  Not to mention the conversations I don't even know I've had.  

There are also some auditory problems I've had in the past.  I always hear voices when water is running.  If I'm doing the dishes, I have to go and check on the baby over and over because I think she's crying.  It's crazy!!!

I don't know what's going on.  I wish they had more research on the long term effects of DXM.  If it had been out there when I started tripping, maybe I would have changed my mind about it.  But now I struggle with daily life.  Please, if you use, use it sparingly.  The feeling is awesome, but it's not worth the long term effects.  I can't imagine the struggles I have yet to come across.  If you don't stay away because of yourself, do it for your future children!!!  Please!!
I started robotrippin when I was 16.  I went to rehabd when I was 18 to try to get off of it.  I'm 20 now and just went through a serious relapse.  At points I was taking about 1650mg of mucinex a day.  I would look in the mirror and see myself looking at myself.  But it would seem like someone else was staring back at me.  I think I might have some brain damage from what I've done, but I've quit while I'm still young and I hope that I can continue with my future the way I plan to.  I am unable to sleep well now and I do have the feeling of paranoia and a strange feeling in my head sometimes.  At times I was doing 40-80 robitussin pills a day.  I can take a box of coriciden without much effect anymore.  I would need about two boxes to get a high.  Crazy right?  My names Josh Sidoti and I'm from Connecticut.  I'm getting into the music industry now and I'm cleaning my life up.  I go to Eastern Connecticut State University and have kept a 3.3 GPA.  But when I'm on DMX everything gets ****** up.  My whole life goes downhill.  I plan to be famous and you can do whatever you dream to do.  I think my experiences will help me reach out to fans, but I think the effects have messed me up somewhat.  I'm working on getting back to normal.  Don't robotrip, it makes you a zombie.  It's not worth it.  Smoke some weed if you need to.  Find Jesus and stay on the right path.  That's all I can say.  Amen.
I don't have much to say because many people covered throughout the variety of posts. I have to agree with Dizzle to a certain extent. What your saying is true, but saying drugs have no overall effect without the mental stability of denying it is just not true. Your explanation on bad trips, however, is true in my opinion. People who are screwed up from DXM are not following the one and only rule of just taking the one drug. DXM is seen as this dastardly drug because people's minds are being messed up because of the antihistamines in major overdose, etc. People don't understand that Dextromethorphan is one of our most recent great chemical discoveries in the medical and recreational field. It replaced over the counter Codeine as a cough suppressant so ad mouth it all you want it is safe at recreational doses of a 4oz. bottle. Even with the maximum dosage of 15mg for every 5mL it is only around 316mg. RISK OF DEATH IS 2500MG AND UP with just DXM. Abuse is a different story but thats the case with all drugs. DXM is one of the safest out there which is why its over the counter and is not a controlled substance such as codeine.

Over activity of the sigma 1 receptor is the only skeptical problem. That and the activity to the cerebellum, but unless you are taking it everyday in extreme dosages I can practically guarantee its not long term. Too many people jump to conclusions. I use DXM at the 316mg dose once or twice every..i'd say 2 months if that. Thats not a regualr pattern but is ended up what usually is. I've accumulated around 6=7 bottles over 2 years. I'm still young (17) so I'm trying to safely use while I dont have kids/a wife
HI Mike welcome to the forum....I always watch this post for young men and wemen you need to know some facts about robo tripping....first off you can send yourself into a psychosis
at the doses your taking its like the lsd of my day you dont know how your trip is going to turn out till it to late to turn around it also leads to depression in people something a 17yr old wouldn't want to have happen...in general it is not safe stuff to be tripping on
take it from an old hippie thats triped to many times to remember do yourself a favor
and get off the drugs will your young or you might just waist your whole life on them like I have...life is far to precious to waist it in a fog....good luck and God bless....Gnarly  
If you're reading this, I greatly apprieciate your words. Especially from an experienced person as yourself. And I do understand what your saying. Of course tripping is good for your brain. It never is. My fascination with drugs isn't just recreational playing around, it is more of recreational use with observation and safety. From reading all of the comments here I've learned a lot although some of these situations are in fact not just from DXM.
I make these comments so there is a voice against just the negatives with facts not blind defence to enlighten people. To expand opinions from being myopic or narrow-minded.
The thing with drugs in general is that they are a magnificent discovery in human existance. The only problem is that it seems for the ones that bring "excitement" negatives out weigh the positives. I can't help to agree. Seeing teens around me consuming without knowledge and/or logic is the real problem. That and addiction. But for me, I dive in without a blind eye. I live with drugs and a life. A healthy one. DXM is not safe to use continuously, I know. Once I finish my last year of high school. I hope to spend multiple years in college to become a psychiatrist. If I succeed, as many have, than I will speak for many people. And assist in legalizing marijuana ;) But, if that fails due to drugs then I will personally apologize for my words here and attempt to apologize to you Gnarly. Be back in 6 years :D
You are trying to tell some us who have been addicts most of our lives that drugs are a magnificent discovery?  You also say "seeing teens around me consuming without knowledge and/or logic is the problem"....Your 17 and i see the same from you.  Your going down a long lonely dead end road if you dont change up your thinking.  Stick around here and see the REALITY of what drugs do~~~~sara
Thanks Sara.....it hurts the most to see the young ones starting off just like we did with the same thinking .....''I will be careful with drugs''.....they just dont understand there is no careful or intelligent way to use drugs....it always ends in destruction be it 1 day 1 yr or a decade
you know me at Kat went threw or wedding album and out of aprox 50 couples only 1 besides ourselfs is still married ....all of the rest at the time where recreational users
and all have broken up because of addiction in one form or another its really sad  
You need to change your perspective and quick.  I was you, 4.0 G.P.A., studying for medical school.  The further along I got into drugs, the more I began focusing on Psychiatry.  I wanted to know it all and as fast as possible.  All things culminated and finally after one incidence with LSD, life got interesting.  I'll tell you, I thought I had control over everything.  With a positive outlook, anything is possible, and this is true.  However, if your actions do not consistently support your perspective, my friend, that perspective will soon change.  Drugs can indeed help aid people, but they must be accompanied with behavioral rehabilitative services.  Behavioral rehabilitation being the key factor.  In the instance of a young teenager who seemingly has his life in check and is using any mind altering substance, he must redefine his priorities and quickly.  

In my case, I was moving too quickly.  Learning too much, which felt great, but was naive to believe I was ready for.  I was smoking pot and then started taking Adderall (adderrall).  I tripped on mushrooms, and felt the universe expanding around me.  I would walk around like I knew the answer to life and people of course treated me as such, which of course habituated my actions.  That's a lesson in it's own right.  One trip on LSD, spiritual, behavioral; it was a culmination of everything unexplainable and I woke up a different person.  I had to leave school, realized that I could not look at another passage that defined or tried to explain human emotions.  I would look in the mirror and see a stranger staring back at me.  I had realized that I had been driving myself slowly into a lost reality and the virtues that I grew up idolizing, although not lost, became misconstrued and in many circumstances, vain.  

Now, what someone who is young, enthusiastic, confident and who has begun to feel the wonderful and enlightening affects that drugs have brought into their life, does not realize, is the immense part of their self that they are unknowingly taking advantage of every time they choose to experience life through a drug rather than seeing what they are made of all on their own.  

One absolute truth; no great pleasure in life comes upfront without dividends having to be paid in the future.  If your consuming the devil's food, be sure that he will find a way to get his worth.  

The truth is, I found myself in a place where it would not have mattered if I was a Psychiatrist and living seemingly successful because I lost myself through the process.  I took three years off from school and worked every crap job, sometimes, three at a time, and all of it was me just trying to get back to basics.  I have been back in school for 2 years now getting my Engineering degree, but I will say that I still struggle with the demons of my past.  Trying to recreate myself has been the single-most difficult journey of my life.  I had to disconnect with friends and at many long periods of time be alone.  The longer I can withdrawal from my old ways, the more developed my vision becomes.  The past never forgets to leave reminders for me and the demons are only as far as I allow them to be.  

With knowledge comes responsibility, and we receive and are given only as much as we are ultimately meant to handle.  Drugs are a shortcut to intelligence we may be able to comprehend, but we were not yet or perhaps ever meant to obtain.  The truth is, there are many faucets in life.  When we are young and feel the power, we never stop to think about all the things we have not yet to discover and how those things will affect us later on.  
My biggest achievement in life has come from realizing the power of hard work, sweat and tears...Up Front...The reward will come down the road.  Drugs will only distract you set you of course, telling you to cut corners and take bigger steps then you were meant to take.  Don't be overanxious, make each step count.  The tortoise and the hare, a childhood fable. It can't be wrong.
yea i used to drink 3-4 cough syrup bottles a day for about 3-4 years n b4 tht once a week an i havnt leaned in a while lean meaning tripped only a cple times here an there cus it wasnt the same as it used to b i used to b the most confident out spoken dude in the room w.e i was at now im depressed an anti social i feel stupid at times i feel like evrery one around is talkin about me im a whole different person does anyone have any advice on what to do or any one have any positive stories that they quit an over time they felt back to normal cus i havent done it in a wile im gettin better little by little i jus really need some hope
howdy. on average i took 24 pills a day to get high. 16 during school and 8 more after when i started coming back to reality again. this went on for 3 or 4 months i think.

first ask yourself why you first started doing it. i first tried it right before i turned 16. i was grounded, but allowed to go hang out at my girlfriends house. i was out of weed so i looked up "easy ways to get high" i found dxm and so i tried a little bit maybe a third of a bottle. when i went to see my girl, everythin was different, the mood, the way we talked, i really liked it.

i didnt keep doing it after that cause id rather spend money on weed. but i knew i found a new drug that i really enjoyed.

but now ask yourself what happened. i mean what was going on in your life or what were you thinking when you started really taking dxm a lot? were you just bored and it was your favorite or using it to escape something? whatever.

my girlfriend ****** one of my best friends and she was my first and i was really attached to her. for several reasons, i was only mad at me, no one else, but i chose to cut everyone i knew off. i was already anti social, but now i was anti social to the extreme where i tried at all costs to avoid people. but now i was anti-social, and depressed. i had never felt this much sadness or self pity or low self confidence ever. i felt like i was doing something wrong, i didnt talk to ANYONE about any of this. i would lie and tell people who asked that i was fine and not upset over the break-up.

So now im stealing and buying bottles and boxes of pills of DXM everyday and stocking up and taking it like candy all the time. it felt good to escape the reality i was in. i wanted to forget so i used dxm because it helped me do that. i wanted to forget the person i was. i had low self image. i didnt like myself or my situation in life in general. i hated everything. And the DXM fed me power i wanted. it fed me happy feelings of well being, self confidence, it made me social, friendly, i really cared about everything more but mostly cared about me being ****** up.

i was so happy to be tripping, the feeling i used to explain to people was this. right as i began to the trips, i described the long arm of dxm reaching down and placing its palm under my brain softly, then lifting it up way into the air forever. it feels like u go up an up and it never stop pulling you up and its great.

one day i was looking up stuff about dxm and its plateaus and ways to get the pure form. and i stumbled on an article about long term effect studys on dxm abusers brains. these effects last even after you quit. the studys were conducted on average users which means people who take 400-1000mg once a week. something called olneys lesions form. microscopic potholes all over your brain. that scared me to death. it also talked about it can ruin your short term memory. it really messes with the part of your brain that functions when your learning something. (yeah, when your trying to learn something, anything, new.) it burns out certain receptors in ur brain and neurons dont fire like they used to. dxm basically puts your mind through a blender if you use it even moderately in higher doses than the label recommends.

anyways i was relieved to find out the damage is mostly reversible. its not entirely permanent. depending on how much you took dxm, it can take 1-4 years after you stop to come back to normal for the most part. during these years youll experience withdrawals. psychosis that can last 1 day up to a month. after i read that article, i quit completely.

my experience has been horible. it took me  months to get over sleepless nights, random cold sweats, muscle twitches all over my body, my depression came back even worse, accompanied with the knowledge that i probably ruined my mental capacity for life. during all this time ive found new things to be depressed or mad at in my life. so much i cant remember everything that contributes to my depression anymore. i believed i would be stuck in this state of mind forever. my outlook on life, my friends, was very bad. i was paranoid that everyone i knew and people at school were constantly plotting against me or talking bad behind my back. i was making up elaborate plans in my head that i thought people had against me. it was crazy. this was all fake.

slowly but surely i realized this isnt the end of the world, id force my self to go be with friends and parents, hoping theyd notice my bad mood and ask whats wrong or just force me to say something at all. and i started talking about what was stuck in my head. i told my parents and several friends about the damage dxm had on me, how i thought i was retarded now, how i quit and what im goin through.

Now that im 19, its 3 years later and i still dont have the greatest memory. i almost didnt graduate highschool because id give up on learning the subject because of how frustrated i got. i simply could not learn in school like i used to. i couldnt remember the lesson from the day before. i used to be 4.0 gpa and get everything in on time or early. dxm abuse has hindered my academic abilities. im glad i graduated though.

my entire personality is different. i used to be real critical and picky and angry towards my friends for the smallest things. now im very laid back and open to most all ideas. im very lazy now, i cant focus like i used to.
i used to try and remember all the reasons for my depression, but i dont stress myself worrying about the reasons anymore. i just forget those problems alltogether. not much bothers me anymore. on the other hand i dont really care about much either. i still get depressed almost all the time for no reason it seems like. it just wont go away. im not dying inside but im not making progress either. i feel like im stuck like this the rest of my life. im just depressed, at times im really sad, and maybe a couple days out of a month im in kind of a good mood. but i just have this haze over my head that follows me everywhere its like i cant think straight ever.

when i talk to people, i dont speak my thoughts right. it takes me a quite some time to figure out the words to say to anyone. ill say something to somebody, and 2 or 3 days later ill realize that i gave them the completely wrong idea or i made it all up, but i didnt mean to do that. im getting very confused just writing this post but im doing my best.

i cant figure out how to move forward. but i tell myself to not get upset about this because thats more stress i dont need. i cant focus, the loss of interest is huge, i cant get out of bed to do anything, even if i dont have work.

nothing positive has come from dxm. i dont know what to do i feel like my mind keeps falling into these holes that take me for ever to dig out of. i cant find my groove you know. i cant be myself entirely, i cant catch that drift i gotta catch ya know. somethings missing, a big part of me isnt familiar anymore. i dont know.
its like im normal one day and i feel like myself is back in its prime and everythings how it should actually be. and then i go back to bein in this daze for weeks. it feels better to share though. feels good to explain myself.
sorry about the huge post, i had more but i had to delete it. anyways i hope my post helps, and i hope someone can relate with me or reply back with something, anything. okay cya.
Sorry to hear of your story megaking. You are still only 19 though, keep that ib mind. That is still very young and you have a lot of time to find your way in life. You brain will repair itself in time, I have read up on damage since my last post and from what I have seen, it effects yoru brain a lot like ecstasy abuse. It destroys neurological pathways which can cause short term memory loss, but there is no evidence to suggest permanent brain damage from what I can find. You were not on DXM for a huge a mount of time either.

I suggest you get out and find yourself a path in life, it can be motivated by education, by a career, by helping others, maybe even a spiritual path, but just get up and get out or search the net for something on the net which is accessible to you in and round your area. Maybe you may want to move away all together... I left my university course 8 months before its completion and moved from England to Thailand. I have been here nearly one year now. I was so involved in many many substances and very unhappy in my 'rut', it was only until I got out of that place, that social circle that i found a new life. But subsequently I have foolishly made myself new problems.

I wish you all the best,
Tom
i have just recently quit doing dxm. my friends did not enjoy it as much as i did so i usually tripped alone. i got to say i am suffering from long term effects and thats what brought me to this page to begin with. i've never talked to anyone about this but it feels good. to begin i'd say my brain is a lot different and my thinking. i used to be hyper and out going and the "life of the party". now its like i can't think of anything to talk about with my best friends. i have trouble keeping up conversations and trying to get my point across. my mind does still kinda feel seperate from the rest of me if that makes sense. i am very delayed. and i tell its scary to think i might be stuck like this. i knew from the very beginning that dxm caused brain damage but of course i thought it wouldn't happen to me. i am very anti social now becasue i think more so because of my paranoia of feeling mentally different than others. its not like my IQ dropped or anything it just takes longer to say/do what i mean. i used to be sharp and quick with a comeback but now i can't even think of what to say. i can only concentrate on one thing at a time. and the "daze" feeling some describe perfectly illustrates the way i feel. i feel kinda high without being high. and when im just sitting around say in a car driving or something my mind is literally thinking of nothing. i remember when i used to just think of absurd things and funny things and easily strike a conversation about it but now my mind is completely blank all the time. i hate it and just want to go back to normal if its even possible :(
I really cant believe it o.O reading this is like looking ahead into my future. ive taken just soo many already like everyday. One time when i took 46 coriciden pills i tripped so hard.. i had to go to school the next morning and i relized at 5 omg im still awake and ****** up.. i said whatever and listened to music. it was fast in my head like it was telling me a story in a weird feeling.. after i went into school and i took one step in there and my body begain trembeling and my eyes were twitching. i just knew it wasnt going to be good. i stumbled my way to the class room look right at a kid i bearly even knew and just told him im scared out of my mind. we had to get up and pick a laptop and i was so scared. i had to force myself to walk straight, i cant let the teacher know. she took one look at me and i could tell she knew. even the prinicpal just come down looked at me for 5 seconds crossed him arms and just walked away.. idk if i am just paranoid but th shaking and trembling just seemed way to obvious for them not to notice..

i have been a drug addict ever since i first discovered weed. but it got worse and worse. i finally got through the class but then next class was relaxing cause my teacher loves me and would mnever do anything to hurt me so i was relaxed.

i went to my next class and relized i was petrayfied the minute i sat in my sit, i looked at my friend and asked "do i..." i didnt even finish and he was just like ya your shaking like ur frozen in ice. and said to the kid up front "look at haffa" he looked at me and was like damn what are you high off of. the teacher came over looked at me and i was shaking to death and she just looked at me and poked me with her marker.. ive never felt an expiernce more weird. in that one moment i relized people actually care about me, why have i never relized it..

after  i finally calmed down and made it through school.. the minute i walked out i said to myself, i need more i need way more. i went to cvs walked right in there took 3 boxes put them in my sweatshirt and walked right out. the alarm went out but ididnt care i had pills. i got home and took a box and really didnt feel the way i did the night before. but my gf was coming over and i told her i would not DXM trip again, before i was only taking cough medicines and never got such an intense high, as soon as my gf came over she knew i was ****** up and i just told here i promise  will stop, just smoke this weed with me.. we went in my closet and clam baked. the next thing i knew i was mysef at all. it was like a was completly new to the world. like i was just brought here. i was so happyyy so excited.

Then we went out of my closet after she dragged me out. i didnt like the change but then as soon as we got out i was flipping with excitement cause of my favorite shows was on. 5 mins later i pulled the covers over me turned away from her and just started crying horible. i relized and said "my body is leakingg, just like physical pain makes you bleed emotional pain makes you cry." i just invisioned my mucus and tears pouring out of me. as soon as i calmed down my gf looked at me and said, "my moms on her way to get me" the minute she said that i say right past her and knew she just wanted to leave me cause it was to early for her mom to be coming. i felt like the one person i could trust at the time crushed me. she left.. i took the other 2 boxes of pills and  thought wait i never waited for the pills to kick in the first time that why they werent affecting me until after and i just took so much more.. that night i felt like i was in the middle of life and death, i couldnt see, i couldnt feel myself breathe.. just the fast pounding off my heart and all these ideas in my head. i felt like my soul was being ripped out of me but something wouldnt let it go.

a day later i woke up and relized, all i need is drugs, sex, and music. i txted my gf and told her i cant wait for her to come over today.. when she left last night she promised she would come back.. i told her and she told me she doesnt love me anymore. she just wants the old me back. at that point i relized ive been changing this whole time even before this whole trip. how angry i would get, how happy, how anxious, how sad, just everythingg.. i said whateverr if she doesnt love me for me then i dont need her. this is me now and i dont need her. i called up a girl i used to know and we made plans for her to come over to my house and have sex with me. and i asked if she ever robotripped, she said no and imediatly i told her well ur gonna have to do it with me. she said okay

the next day she came over and my mom left. as she was on her way i went there the medicine cabnets read every box that had DXM and took them. alksalzer tablets, and a bottle of robotissin.. later she cam over and brought the money i asked her to bring. we went to the store and i stole  2 boxes and had my friend buy one since im only 16. after the store we got back i had 14 tablets half a bottle of robotissin and 24 more pills. went to my friends with her... after i cheated on my gf :/ we went and smoked weed. like so much and then all of a sudden i was massively ****** up.  i was hallucinating like crazy couldnt control myseklf what so ever.. i loved it soo much. the say after my friend come over and i told him all about it and we played rockband till he says hey i found this on the ground. it was an alkaser tablet and freaked out with enjoyment and relized i didnt take all of em and ran up the stairs took the rest of them and took all of them. after i puked my guts out and just had a nice amazing relaxing day.

after a while i just couldnt go back to the store and my house was all out of DXM stuff so i just felt hopeless. i cant walk into cvs without them staring me down. i just felt so lost

TO ANYONE who takes this remember dont let the high consume you, if you were over 18 and had money and were like me you probably wouldnt be alive anymore. it has messed me up so bad. pills are my life. they are all i am and all i have. dont let things get out of hand. dont let yourself thing ur immune to the long term effect or over dosing or getting addicted. sometimes i think if i killed myself maybe ill live in a dream world and be high as much as i want. thats all i want and feels like its all i ever wanted.. just DONT even touch the stuff. It will be better for you in the end. somethings so amazing could never have had a worse effect. it hasnt even been long and i feel like my life is going to end up as a failure or just be dead soon.. i dont want that as my life and you wont either. addictions literally do sneak up on u till its to late.. when u think in your mind i can do this all i want and i wont be addicted.. its most likely the drugs telling you that so youll take more and get really addicted. one sign of being an addict is not admitting you have a problem.. i have a problem that just wont stop

I just created this account to share my terrible experiences with DXM.

I have been a user for 7 years. I've used a large number of drugs over that time period, but the only drug I have used all throughout that 7 years was DXM.

I started when I was 17, foolish, and entranced by everything I had read about hallucinogens. Not having access to many illegal drugs I started using DXM. At first it was every now and then. Sometimes I'd take it several times in a row and then abstain for a number of weeks. This pattern continued for a few years. I wasn't experiencing any long term effects, so I continued using. It started getting really serious when I was 22. I was taking lots of generic Coriciden, taking 16 tablets at a time. Sometimes I would spend several days in a row tripping, followed by a day or two of soberiety. This went on for a LONG time. In early 2010 I I finally stopped using, at 23 years old. By that point in time it has seriously destroyed my life. I had virtually no friends, and was no longer the same person in any way, shape or form. I was very paranoid, irrational and mistrustful of others. I'm sure that I had bad memory and that my ability to express myself verbally had deteriorated. Things did seem to get better after a few months,however. Then I started using again. The sad thing is I only used it 5 more times before I completely destroyed my brain. Quite often I have severe difficulty formulating sentences. My thoughts tend to be somewhat disorganized, getting more severe later in the day. I feel that my IQ has dropped significantly. I even have difficulty reading, which is so disturbing and is leaving me feeling very hopeless. I don't know if this is ever going to get better, though I fear that it won't. It's left me half as intelligent as I was before, and it gave me nothing worthwhile in return.

DXM is a dangerous and extremely harmful drug, and I hope some of the younger DXM users on here will take my story seriously. I don't care how liberating, mind expanding, or just plain fun you think it is, every time that drug enters your brain it's doing serious, irreversable damage. There is nothing safe about this addictive, mentally debilitating drug.
  I TOOK TWO TEA SPOONS OF MY DAUGHTERS COUGH SYRP WITHIN A HALF HOUR OR SOONER I WAS TRIPPIN HARD WATCHING THINGS ALL AROUND ME DOING SOMETHING I MEAN EVERYTHING THIS WENT ON FOR TWO DAYS I THOUGHT I WAS LOSING MY MIND CALLED POISON CONTROLL DUDE TELLS ME WHAT I TOOK THERES A ONE IN A ONE HUNDREDFIFTY THOUSAND CHANCE THAT CAN HAPPEN SO I WAS THE BIG WINNER IF YOU NO YOUR GONNA TRIPP YOUR PREPARED BUT I DIDNT KNOW I SEEN CRAZY!!!!!! STUFF HAPPENING AND THE FOUR OTHER PEOPLE DONT NOT A GOOD COUPLE OF DAYS..
well here's my story about dxm. last year near the start of summer i was smoking weed daily, abusing pain meds a few times a week, and drinking at least once. one day I woke up and decided I wanted to be really ****** up, after a xanax binge the day before, and remembered reading about DXM. went to the store downed 4 oz and smoked some weed. I was 18 at the time, and nothing would prepare me for what dxm did. I had vivid experiences of memories I thought I had forgotten, and experiences of what I believed to be ESP, but were probably just effects of memory inhibition. After my first taste I wanted more, to figure out this chemical. I binged for about a month and a half prolly 5 days a week about a bottle or more a day.
I decided to quit, everything, because I scared myself by the fact I had no control over my dex use because it ripped me out of reality, a great distraction from life. Coming out of it I was slightly crazy, DXM has a long afterglow affect for some people, lasting several days, and more doses over a few days compounds this. I became incredibly anti-social and lost my job because I just wouldn't go. I used this time to heal. Slowly and steadily I've come back to normal. I've got HPPD, I see static in dark lighting and see patterns of static behind my eyes, and experience "pre-sensory" hallucinations which are difficult to explain. I went for 7 months and relapsed on dex and it set me back a bit but not terribly. I'm opening up more and getting back into the swing of things, overall im not that much of a casualty. But DXM isn't something to **** with often, no more then once or twice a year. I'm currently back to smoking weed and drinking but Im holding a job and back in school, and i'm 19 by the way.
DXM definetly slowed my thinking process and memory but it's healing.
Anyone looking to try it, I'd say you shouldn't. But to eaches own and definetly don't make a habit out of this drug, its powerful and can completely deconstruct your personality. As for me I'm climbing back out the rabbit hole and I continue to keep climbing once I'm back at baseline. Thing is I forgot what normal is in some respects, but they key is normal doesn't matter. What's important is being robust and developing meaningful and powerful relationships with others, and always having respect and love for all.
Peace and good luck to you all.
I have the same feelings. Been doing cough medicine everyday for 4 years or more now, i HATE it. I went to rehab 3 times for this and alcohol, I try so hard to stop but my self control isn't there. I can't think anymore and it makes me depressed. I am 23 years old, an artist, I work and go to school, and do want whats best for my life. DXM has killed who I used to be. Now I have to create someone new. I just have to believe its possible. Any thoughts? I would love to talk to someone in the same situation, this has been so difficult for me. This **** has ruined parts of my life, I need to believe the things are repairable.>
I fear the same **** has happened to me. For along time now i havent been feeling right. I have been doing dxm on and off since i was 15. I just turned 21 After searching and searching the internet for clues as to what may be wrong with me i finally came across dxm. im curious to know what aspect of your life has been most affected. For me i would have to say it has been my sense of humor. It is practically gone i rarely laugh anymore. Also i feel as if there is a fog over my head and i never really seem to have much to say. social interaction for me has become very difficult and i fear i bore everyone to death as i am extrememly quiet now. I literally feel trapped in this state. I would really like to hear some stories about people coming out of this hell. Anyways tell me about how your sense of humor has been affected thanks.
I am also a long term user of DXM. My story is a few scrolls up the page.

I understand completely what you are going through. I also have trouble with social interaction, and I occassionaly don't have much to say. If there is an interesting topic being discussed, I usually have plenty to say. Overall it's not that severe, but certainly noticeable. I have noticed moderate difficulty formulating sentences. I get on just fine when I'm typing, which I occasionally find surprising. However, I do have some trouble speaking to people. Have you experienced anything like this? I believe it is a primary effect of long term DXM abuse.

I can't say that my sense of humor has been affected, though it is possible that it has become wierder. That may or may not be effect of the drug usage.

Anyways, I would't worry too much. I have read that a good deal of the damage caused by DXM will mend itself. While lost braincells never grow back, the brain has the wonderful ability to adapt itself and carry on functioning in a capacity that is close to what it was before the damage occured. You may recover almost completely, depending on how much you've done. I have to say that my case has gotten somewhat better after a couple months of abstination.
i went on a spree with coricidin for about 6 or 7 months straight my 12th grade year of high school. First of all i was healthy as an ox, straight a student and hot *** girlfriend, etc.. Anyways to the trip.. the first time, 8 CCC. almost like watchin a movie or flippin thru a picture book as the events in your normal daily life unraveled. (WEIRD was always the word of choice when describing CCC)
My buddy and I got a box and took 8 a piece then split ways and went home. My girl came over and wanted to hang so i told her get on the bed with me cause by that time i became super tired. We both fell asleep and i awoke to, "josh" "josh", "your mom is home" so finally i woke up and after totally forgetting i took anything, stumbled around the room trying to gain my composure remembering what i had done. My mom decided now would be a great time to talk to me about sex, it was insane. I just laughed and listened, the only thing i could really focus on was my mothers eyes. I thought, "how the hell can she not see im trashed"? anyways drove my girl home and met up with my friend at our buddies, while driving i kept seein the road just shift in increments, extremely crazy. Dont ask how i drove and dont give me a lecture about it. The **** lasted all day, i wasnt there one second for it  i was watching from the distance as my friends and i talked and bull shitted. (3rd person definitely). During the stretch of 6 months, it got insane but my mind handled the abuse exceptionally well. Got used to the im gonna die feeling, heart pounding, excess energy where if i didnt run i thought i would pass out and ultimately die. The one final time i did it, ill never forget. Over the edge, like two bottles, CCC's you name it. I talked to god that night and begged him, dont let satan take my life. I wont touch this anymore just spare me and ill come back to you. He did.
Everyone's destiny is different, jesus has walked with me since childhood and he knew that if i never experienced the darkness i would have never appreciated the light.
(your brain is a jigsaw puzzle all put together, CCC's do the nice job of scambling the pieces all up leaving you to put them back together. Very challenging.)

Lost my car, my girlfriend, my home, my money, my friends, you name it.

The after effects for me have consisted of
1. demons i would awaken to from my sleep
2. voices
3. wake up and not be able to move
4. terrible headaches
5. i knew my heart was different, it hurt physically and just felt dirty.
6. loss of words
7. terrible memory and im not exaggerating
8. see shadows in my peripheral
9. just wasnt as sharp i used to be and had a shoddy phsical appearance w/o even noticing

2 years later, i make straight A's in school, got a brand new truck, beautiful girl, no demons lol  you think im playin about the demons. my mind and body are one solid rock. I dont regret taking dxm but youre playin with fire. Dxm is the devils playground, he wont hesitate to jump all over you. There's something Weird about that drug.

Dont do dxm! for real, my freshmen year i got into that and everynight out "group" would buy boxes of c's and dex tabs i lost all contact to all my other friends, i was on a 3 week beng and decided it would be a good idea to take "death risk" dose. BAD IDEA. I shouldent even be here too tell this story. It all started being just another "trip" And then the room melted and my friends were gone, "death"came and told me i was dead and brought me too see my mother and father for the last time, then he brought metoo what i thought was hell. It was the scaryest realest trip i ever had. I watched deamons tear metoo peices. This might sound surreal but i swear i seen alll of this. I finaly came back to reailty, i gave all my friends a hug and they were all worryed bc im was crying for the last hour and wouldent say a word to them, thats when i was in "hell". After that the high dident go away for 3weeks i thought i was gna be high for forever, i have not touched any dex sience that. Im not the same person anymore, i cant exsplain it. I twitch and have ainety still too this day. Take it from an abuser its not werth it! No high is werth ******* your body up forever.
I myself have been addicted to DXM since I was 15, I'm almost 23 now. It started as a 1 time thing out of curiousity after a friend of mine told me about the drug. I jumped in head first because I liked the effects so much. I felt that it brought me to another dimention, anohter reality, I wasn't on earth at all. I litterally thought it was magic in a bottle. I ended up getting expelled from school over it and that didn' stop me from continueing to abuse DXM. I finally quit for 1 year after so much trouble dealing with life. I have had slips in the recent months, although few and far between, I DO NOT get the same effects as I once did. When I wake up the next day, I feel so ashamed and litterally insane, crawling in my skin. I had a slip (3 four ounce bottles) 2 days ago and ended up doing it again the following day. This used to be a regular occourance back in the day but now I cannot handle it. I woke up this morning with that shame and felt so beside myself. I urge anyone out there who is abusing DXM or htinking about doing it, to STOP. I want to believe that I have no long term damage from the years of abuse, but I can totally agree with a lot of what I have read on here so far from others. I find it super hard to find the words I'm trying to say, I stutter, and I constaly feel insecure. I don't believe I have any physical damage, but the mental clarity I once had has never returned. So that much is apparent. People who are already on the drug will swear up and down that it isn't harmful, but that's to be expected. Take it from someone who has struggled with DXM and tried to live without it, it's no fun living with this addiction. The moment I think I have kicked it, I slip again. It is getting so hard to bare the burden on this addiction. Even when I go without DXM from a long time, all it takes is the right conditions (having the house to myself for the weekend for example) and I am almost certain to do it again. I feel what people are saying about trouble finding the right words to say, and my memory is very unreliable. It's much harder to learn new things. I am hopeful that perhaps I am playing the blame game, after all I have to have hope. One thing is for sure though, I wish I had never done DXM. It certainly did more harm than good, of that I am 100% sure.
i started doing DXM when i was 16. it was the best feeling i had found at that time , i fell in love. my tripping turned into a full blown addiction. there was other drugs i was hooked on at the same time, adderall (adderrall) was the other biggie. but no matter what, i always had to have DXM in me. anywhere from 2-4 bottles a day for around 5 years (there were some days off, too ****** up to do it. slurred speech, sounding mentally handicapped. in rehab, jail. etc) but i cant really say when it turned from tripping into addiction- just happened. at one point i was so gone i believed in my heart reality was not real at all. i was living in a dream.. i've been clean from it for 2 years now. my mind is still kinda messed up, i feel i'll always be kind of out there..but i can manage myself, im not batshit crazy...just a lil in my own world sometimes. my use of DXM really took me to a deep and dark place, did alot of bad things, didnt care, i was too crazy to believe there were consequences for anything... hurt alot of people, loved ones, family, friends. overall i wouldnt recommend it- even tho i know the places that it can take you can feel amazing. it may not be worth the trip for you...be safe
-TRiP-
I tried cough syrup, but with narcotics.  I was a pharmacy tech and got hooked on pain pills!  I feel the same way you do about being a little out there!  We just need to love ourselves and we are not out there!  Maybe to the outside society we are, but we are sick and have hurt ourselves.  It's just hard mentally sometimes!

That is awesome, that you have been clean for so long!  

I know people tell me stuff that I already heard, so I understand if you heard this already.  I always say, I am just sharing the love!  I am on day 25!  It's tough, but we have to do it!  $ hungry drug companies don't give a crap about us!  So, we have to!  I care about you and everyone on here and for the little people!  Us 99%!
my addiction to DXM started in October of 2008. like many here, I went on binges. I would do 4 boxes of Coricidin in the course of a night. I'm pretty sure I reached plateaus that were never experienced consciously.
I spent a weekend at a friend's house this past February and my 'rent' was to constantly be ****** up. I had to have a beer in hand at all times and they went and bought me DXM and scheduled out when I should take how many...that was probably the worst experience I ever had. I ended up humiliating myself and betraying a friend and losing someone else's trust I was trying to build back up. I was even told I did things I didn't do because they just wanted me to be upset and feel like **** and think I was retarded. most of the time I tripped, I was happy and outgoing, and energetic, for sure. DXM is apparently a milder form of PCP, and I'd end up breaking things or hurting someone with what I thought was a gentle punch.
I've done too much on this drug than I care to remember, but now that the side effects are catching up to me and I'm reflecting on the ones I've hurt and those I've lost...it's kind of just all coming to the surface.
the last time I used was this past October, and I barely remember taking them. I don't even know if it was only one box or not. I had already been on my Ambien, which I'm also developing an addiction to...and I stole a box [or two] of DXM from the store. I remember taking them out of the package in the bathroom, and then being at home. I've been having urges to take them lately, but it's just not as strong as it used to be.
in the past few months, I've slowly been becoming detached from my physical state and having horrible memory lapses and fuzzy thoughts. my muscles feel horrible and my vision is acting up really badly. I'm one of those new agey people, and thought for a while that I was adjusting to the potential Photon Belt and all of the solar flares and activity going on in space and such...but, I think I'll be seeing a doctor soon...just to be safe.

I strongly advise against DXM. it can ruin your life and your body. it's only "fun" for so long, until one day, you realize none of those days were ever really fun. if I could choose any point in time to go back to, it would be when I was first offered DXM. I would say no and stay away. it changed my life. mostly, for the worst, but I do know that I've learned a lot from it. I still have a long way to go to reconcile with myself, but it's needed.

I'm not sure what else to say...take care all.
peace.
i've used DXM on and off since i was about 13. i used to be really bad with it back then taking an average of 16 cordies a day. i was addicted to it. now i only robo trip occasionally to party up. probably once a month at the most. but i can say my brain is ****** up from it. i used to be incredibly smart and even though i'm still functioning on an above average level, i can certainly see the difference. i like the feeling once in a while, but if you don't have enough self control, this drug can be very dangerous... and deadly. sometimes i used to forget how much i had taken that day, and use even more. i ended up using over 30 quite a few times. i took 48 once and had a seizure. and being a smartass i even took 74 once on a dare. that certainly didnt go well, as my heart ended up stopping when i got to the hospital. luckily the doctors revived me, but after that i've been very careful by not having more than 1 box of cordies OR 1 bottle of tussin in the house at a time. be very careful if you use this.
i have the exact same symptoms... :( drank about as much for 2 years
it's been a few years i've been off now and my heart is still ******
i just think it's gonna explode most of the time
it had me on klonopin for ages because any sedatives help
but i feel for you
nobody ever told us this would happen
Hey megaking767.
I read your post, and I've been experiencing the same things.
I have a few questions:

1.) Have you recovered yet?

2.) If so, what did you do to recover?

I really hope you reply, and if anyone else sees this, please share how you recovered from this terrible drug.

I started when I was 16, and it's been about 1 1/2-2 years since I quit, and this fog still hasn't gone away.

I've pretty much given up on life, because it's so difficult to live like this. No friends, no job, no memory, no happiness. No life. It really *****, and it would be nice to have a little hope to hold onto.

Thanks to anyone that can offer *any* advice.
After reading much of the experiences with DXM, I realized how serious of an issue this is for everyone. Among the bundle of comments, I read how they can disrupt receptors in the brain, as well as daze consciousness. I'm shameful to say that I have also abused Triple C's, and that I have similar symptoms. It is hard to focus on anything, at all. Listening to music is no longer as thrilling as it was when I was on the pills. Listening to music after taking these pills is like having sex after having sex on ecstasy. Taking DXM takes away who you are. I also have trouble even trying to figure out the words to put on this. The pills have a great affect on who you are, and will change you. Every time I try to associate with a person, I find myself trembling and cutting myself off. I'm hoping that there is some sort of recovery when it comes to communication, but in the mean time, the symptoms really get to me. I'm thinking about starting yoga, to help myself get back into the world. Nonetheless, to anyone out there, don't take these damned pills. You'll regret it for sure. I'm sorry to hear everyone else's story as well - it's sad that these drugs are even considered recreational.
I don't know what to say except your not alone.  I take Mucinex DM every day. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to take it, I don't get high off it anymore.  It's a weird pyschological addiction.  DMX dulls me enough to get thru the day I guess.  I don't think many people realize it's abused.  It's legal and over the counter, so I thought I wouldn't get hooked. but once an addict always an addict.  I think at this point I could get addicted to toothpaste ;0)
My psychiatrist at one point, Dr, Phillip Berent, prescribed me robotussin pills (which is pure DXM) for my bipolar when i was in high school. It can work, but be extremely careful not to build a tolerance.
Hey I read the article you wrote and the long-term affects that "robofrying" has had on you. I am 20 years old and I am experiencing similar if not the same affects that you are describing now. I have got high on robotussin two or three times in my life when I was 16. I also shroomed once when I was 16. Those are the only hardcore drugs I have ever done in my life. And even though I only robo fryed acouple times and shroomed once I realize that I did it when I was young and my brain was still developing. Ever since about a year ago when I was 19 I have felt dazed 70 % of the time or like I am high on marijuana. I feel as though I couldn't function like I use to. It has got a little better since the feelings originally started but still pretty bad. Could the affects of these drugs be just starting to catch up with me. The only main difference I noticed right after I did them was I became very lazy and my grades began to go down. But then acouple years later I begin experiencing the affects I described above. Please give me your oppinion on my situation and if you think it is because of my experimenting when I was younger.
The main reason DXM (dextromethorphan hydro-bromide) is so bad for your body (brain in particular) is b/c the bromide part.

Look up bromide/bromine poisoning to see what it does to the body.

They need to "add" bromine in order to allow the dex to pass the blood-brain barrier.  Without it, almost none will; Certainly not enough to have any noticeable effects.

The main problem with long term bromine exposure are brain lesions.

Enjoy your destruction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromism
How much were your taking, on average (in milligrams) ?
DXM, like opiates, its very deceptive in its addictiveness.

Yeah, you may not being doing them everyday, but what about every other week ?  Seems about the rate I was at in my worst with it.

Just when the acute physical symptoms are going away, the mental draw creeps back in (which I think is partly a physical craving) and the cycle repeats.  Anything with a pattern is an addictive behavior, no matter the frequency.
I did tripple c's last year and im suffering GREATLY! people cant touch my face because it triggers flash backs from using the drug.
at the time, i felt like i had nothing to lose, like after a few hours all the side affects would vanish and i would never have to deal with them again, and they probably would have if i had only done C's once. but no, i did them for a year straight, i was almost never sober and now i cant do alot of simple things, my grades dropped severely not because im not in school but because i cant focus on the question, it takes me about 3 minutes to figure out things that some people can figure out instantly.
side effects i still suffer from -
ranom dizzyness
if im ever in a big crown and i get bumped and dont realize it it feels like the floor vanished from my feet and i panic
im constantly paranoid
People cant touch my face because ill start tripping again
i cant eat or smell artificial grape or cherry lavors and scents, no more grape koolaid, or cherry popcycles, nothing, ill puke.
i cant take any form of Dextromethorphan or ill start tripping as if i'd taken 14 tablets
when im nausious i get dizzy and i almost always puke.
i cant look at flashing lights or anything that moves too rapidly
if someone turns the lights off and i dont expect it, ill jump and sometimes cry
people cant get too close to my face or ill freeze up and cry

These are all things i still suffer from and there are tons more, it's really complicated for me to get up and start the day and it's coplicating to stay happy as much as normal people.
I am truly jelous of people who dont suffer from these affects, im pretty sure i'll never be able to be a normal immature teen again, the experience just shocked me and i grew up almost instantly
im only 13 and ill probably have to live with these affects for the rest of my life.

PLEASE DO NOT DO TRIPPLE C'S YOU WONT REGRET IT AT FIRST BUT AFTER A WHILE IT'LL REALLY MAKE YOU WISH YOU NEVER HAD!!!
Hang in there. You're young your brain will heal.  Just stay away from all drugs and alcohol.  You don't want to be me ( almost 40) and still fighting addiction.  I wish I got my s h I t together when I was your age.
I am 37 yrs old and from 1995-1997 I would "overdose" on robo 2 or 3 times a month. I would usually drink a lot of beer while on it. Usually drinking 2 8oz bottles of robo and about 6 40oz of beer. We would drink a lot because the robo would dehydrate us. After a bad trip I stoped. But as the years go on the effects get worse. Extream parinoia around people I've known my whole life feeling that everyone around me can read my thoughts............... I occasionally have have flashbacks where I feel like I'm detached from my body and have to go walk around outside to calm down. These effect get worse as time goes by and I fear one day I'll be in a padded cell or take my life to make it stop. I've researched    a lot about the long term effects of the drug, but have found little info on it. Most psychiatrist I've seen have never heard of it or no little about it. I read somewhere that you can come out of a trip but come back in a different state of reality. I'm now take 1mg of Xanax twice a day for the past four years. After I had a complete mental breakdown. It helps but I will forever have to take that drug to feel normal. I've tryed to go off it, but after a short time of feeling how I did before being proscribed Xanax. I can't see how I walked around in that state of mind .SO IF YOUR THINKING OF TAKING ROBOTISSIN FOR A GOOD TIME ! GOD HELP YOU!! I've had one friend kill himself from the effects of this drug, and everyone i have spoke with who took it at the time i did is on some form of psyciatric medication! I urge Doctors start researching the long term effect of this drug!!!
Mark my words. DXM being used recreationally is bad bad bad news. At 18 I was at a private college that was being completely payed for in a pre-medical program that almost guaranteed me getting into med school.. I had tripped once before but wasn't fond. Then I met a friend at my school named Christian. Up to this point I'd popped a few aderall and smoked weed now and then. I'd juggled all that since I was 16 and still managed to have a 3.7 GPA, a great job, a great body from weight lifting and being on the swim team, and very attractive girlfriends. This all changed Fall Semester of 2011 at Harding University. My friend Christian introduced me to pure DXM I could buy online. The first time I tripped I had the full experience. I was in a dream world where everything was possible. My brain was controlling this machine underneath it. I heard and saw things. The euphoria was amazing. Long story short I tripped on and off as much as 3 times a week for a semester. I still didn't quite notice the long term effects until the next semester. The first semester I came out with a 2.8 GPA. It wasn't great but I was going to class and getting work done while balancing a social life. My friend Christian left and the next semester by the end of January I had met the love of my life Julia. That semester I decided to still robotrip frequently with normal doses being anywhere from 400-800.
Well let me tell you this right now. I live in my own personal hell now. I always prided myself on being sharp witted, funny, having a nice body, and being a social animal. Now, I've lost my job, flunked out of two semesters, I'm out of shape, I have barely any friends and no social life, and due to that the girl I loved left me to move back in with her parents. I live in a fog. I can't even COMPREHEND long term goals, I cannot think clearly, and I never feel like doing anything. I am constantly depressed and my life has no direction because I can barely pull myself together long enough to function successfully for one day. I know things will get better, but DXM has cost me so much money and so many relationships. Including my family too. Heed my warning. Steer clear of this drug OR PAY THE CONSEQUENCES. There is no such thing as free instant gratification. If you are looking for happiness and euphoria then EARN IT. Succeed academically, succeed at work, get in shape eat healthy paint read interesting books but DO NOT fool yourself into thinking DXM is ok. How this extremely detrimental drug is available over the counter I will NEVER KNOW. Much love, Andrew, AR
If you ever need someone to talk to about this, feel free to PM me.  I'm a year clean from a Tramadol addiction, but got hooked on DXM 3 months ago.  After not being able to get myself to stop, and feeling my life slip away, again, I entered outpatient treatment about a month and a half ago.  

I know this thread is about long-term effects, but for ANYONE who feels they cannot break out of this prison OR is considering trying it 'just once', please let me know. I have learned so much about how and why I got hooked on this specific substance, and how to turn things around.  I've relapsed a couple of times, but have 4 days clean, now.  I hope to find others who want to help each other out.  EmilyPost's Tramadol journal on medhelp saved my life, twice, so I hope to build a similar community.

We carry a lot more shame with this addiction, since almost no one understands it.  You are not alone.
Most times I drank 2 bottles at the same time (Robitussin Max Strength). Sometimes 3. I also took the pills. Sometimes one bottle, sometimes 2.

It was a horrible addiction. Disgusting one too... Now I can't even use it medicinally without gagging.
hello
i am addicted  to dex , been taking it for 7 years, I need help , any suggestions would be great

than ks
RM
How much do you do? Daily or occasionally? How do yor take it? Mucinex, Robitussin, ? I've been taking it daily for almost a year.
Hey there,

It would be a great help if instead of replying to people who are posting inappropriately, you just report it and let us know.  

Thanks!

Steph
My boyfriend has been tripping on tuss for years now I worry about him every day doing it. I am scared to lose him in every way shape and form. He's the love of my life and I look forward to marrying him someday and starting a family when we are older. I feel like scum cause I can't say no when he asks me to get it cause he gets mad but his addiction is getting worse. He can't work or function in life without tuss. I don't know what I can do to help him can anyone give me advice?
i so know what u mean i used off and on for years my heaviest being almost three years straight with only a few months being sober off it and it's messed me up it's left me being slow and im not goot at making decisions and im paranoid as all get out. i strongly advise against the recreational use of this product it will ruin u and i wish i would have never did it the first time. i used 2 love dxm but now i hate it
My post may not mean much to alot of people and forgive my awful grammar.

2 and a half years ago i joined the air force at a time in my life that was pretty depressing to me in fact i joined to kinda escape what i had done to my life, not because of drugs but really just my own stupidity. After basic training I went into tech school which the Air Force has all of its personel do to learn their respective jobs. I was still slightly depressed at the time  and when I heard about dxm it sounded like a great way to escape. I began to take dxm on about a weekly basis mostly on the weekends kinda as a way to pass time. Oh what a fool i was i told myself I would keep it as my recreational pastime but I was a fool and over time I began both upping my dosage and to increase the amounts of times throughout the week that i would take. It began to take over my life and there was a time about a month in when I realized deep down it was an addiction and I hated what I had allowed myself to do. At that time i called my parents and wept to them but i didnt tell them what was really going on (you see my parents are both Christians saved by an almighty god) I begged them to pray for me and I think i perhaps scared them and made them hopefull at the time that I would turn my life around from whatever it was that was controling me. After that i pretty much broke contact with my family and I continued to up my dosage and the amount of times i was taking. For about two years this went on and when I turned 21 I turned to alcohol in the hopes that it would perhaps help me to end my awful addiction to dxm (at the time I was averaging about 360 to 480 mg a day just about every day) alcohol didnt help not one bit and while I never became addicted to alcohol it did serve to make me perhaps an even more frequent abuser of dxm.

The turning point perhaps in my life was when I met the woman I wanted to spend my life with, oh how I loved her. I kept it a very close secret in my life from everybody that i was an abuser of dxm for I feared all my friends and most of all my beloved woman would turn against me and hate me. I knew what I had to do I knew I must quit in order to have the life that I wanted. I desperately tried to quit but it was all for naught the addiction was a powerfull one in me, and it only made me hate myself and what I had become. I slowly began to turn to god and the first few times I only begged he wouldnt let the drug abuse kill me. More and more though I began to ask god that he help me "turn my life around" (to everyone around me i had the perfect life nobody knew the struggle that i was dealing with.) Things continued to go along as normal and then I found out I was deploying and at first I was very against it, but then I thought oh what if I have no access to dxm then oh my gosh ill be forced to quit. Once again I was content and once again I turned away from God. Well i got to my deployed location and what do ya know of course i searched dxm out and it was readily available. Being the addict and  the fool that I was I went right back to it and once again began to hate my life and what i had become, and all hope escaped me. I still managed to hide it from everybody that I was living day by day with no real hope for my life. This went on for about 5 months of my deployment, and then it happened. I was talking to my sister over the internet one day and she was telling me about her life (even as i write this tears stream down my face)  and suddenly it was so clear that almighty god had orchestrated every event in my life...no he had not made me the wretched sinner that i was but he had controlled the events around me to put me in the place and in the mind set that i was in. I reached out to my sister that day and I told her that I wanted her and everybody that she knew that would pray for me to do just that. I know they did and she had no idea why but she contacted my parents and they did just that. I began to seek out God and I know i sound like a fool to probably most of you that take the time to read this, but know this God Almighty wants but one thing from us seek him out with alllll our hearts and he will look upon us and he will show us what he wants us to do moment by moment and he may indeed make us search him out for a long time maybe as a test to our resolve to find him i dont know i just dont but i know he wants us to search him out and we will find him
cont.

Well I did search him out and i didnt find him that day but I deep in my mind didnt think i would. I continued even then in the midst of my depravity to use dxm but a few days went by and luckily i happened to have a KJV bible with me and i had begun to read from it even in the moments that i was high....but listen to these words all you that are willing to listen and to read God and i mean God almighty which is in heaven is almighty to save and he can do whatever he wants he is GOD. On the 9th of january of 2013  yes only a few days ago God saved me he put alllll the pieces together and he helped me to see the wretched sinner that i was in alll my depravity. and he once again used my sister to suddenly put the pieces together for myself. I was still pretty heavy on the effects of dxm and i wasnt saved yet. I was taking one of my buddies home from work and yes even then I was on the effects of dxm. I began to open up to him about how I felt about my life and how I was beggining to turn to God for salvation and even as i spoke these words to him suddenly God reached down and he saved me and I knew in my heart at that moment that god had given me what he had given my parents an undoubting mind to know that i was saved god had saved this wretched fool and i openly wept at that moment in front of my buddy and he was shocked and i explained what had just happened not about the dxm but about the salvation and he congradulated me of course not fully understanding i only pray in the future he gives him (my buddy) the same salvation he GOD gave me.

I knew in that moment that I would never again allow for mind altering substances to cross my lips and I praised god for the freedom because many times i had lied deep in my mind and promised myself i would quit but this was different and i knew it.

That however is not where my story ends. God laid it upon my heart that i must come forward to my commanding officer and i must admit what i had done, and if you know anything about the military you know the chalenge that i was faced with. I knew that the moment i confessed to him there was a very good chance my career would end and since military laws are different than civilian that i might even face jail time for it. I wrestled with the idea for about a day but it was clear what i had to do and so i went before him and i laid it all out before him and sure enough he read me my rights and a great fear was upon me but ill tell you now i fear an almighty god more than i fear what any man can do to me.

my story isnt over folks and i dont think it will be over soon right now its been a few days since my confession and it appears the military only wants whats best for me and they want to make me better. I am being sent home just 10 days before the rest of my unit but thats gods purpose and ill follow his leading.  do not be of heavy heart for me for my future is in gods hands and even though its very uncertain and I dont know what all it is he would have me do i do know im on the right path and i do know i have finally defeated the dxm monster that was in my life for just over 2 years.

ill leave you with what this post is supposed to be about lol =P
as far as long term effects go i am not yet far along enough to know. I do know that my concentration level is very hard to maintain and I have to think very hard to keep my mind actively thinking about what it is i need to be thinking about. My stomach is almost continually messed up and ive vomited once and felt like vomitting quite a few times. Blood circulation seems to be limited and I have bright flashes in my head, it doesnt affect my sight but its odd and obviously not whats supposed to be happening. My memory is very finicky and it seems random what i do and dont remember at times.

If you managed to read all this gratz =) and i leave you with this last thought if you are on here browsing this perhaps looking to start dxm abuse or maybe your just starting and or trying to quit....please for the love of yourself the love of your loved ones and for all those that would look up to you i BEG you please please please do not start, and or do everything in your power to quit.
Whatever u do dont touch dxm!!! I lost my brother-in-law in may of 2008 he died a week b4 his 22 birthday and we buried him on what would have been his 22nd bday....he abused cold pills/ cough meds to get high..his hands shook out of control and whenever we saw him he was usually out of his mind...he died from dvt (deep vein thrombosis) a clot that went to his heart and killed him instantly...i believe he was high plateauing becuz he was unresponsive for over 20 hrs and his roommate refused to let anyone call for help until it was too late...he was literally 5 min from the hospital...if u dont want to end up in a bodybag dont ever touch this horrible drug!
thanks for sharing ... it gives me hope because I know other people are suffering just like me and I am not alone in this powerful addiction ... I started using it over 10 years ago and did things I am ashamed of , I did 8 1/2 years in prison over some dumb **** I did under the influence . Today I am on SSI and trying to get a job but it's been a struggle .... I ruined my life and still can't stop using . But it is good to hear other peoples' stories . Thanks
SWIM had the same problem feeling as though his brain had become somehow blocked and that he could not escape, until SWIM tried sh rooms and then felt as though that mental block had vanished. SWIM was 15 when this happened and SWIM tried dxm again and felt as though that mental block came back. But SWIM is getting sober now and has not used dxm in 4 months or so and talking about swims problems helped him get over the crazy thoughts it gives you afterwards
you know that is how i started out using here and there. I did this so i never had to admit there was a problem. I thought that I was "under control" of my addiction. Here i am now detoxing off the pills for about 1 month sober. I do not have any crazy side effect but right now i do feel like crap i am sick and i do not trust myself to take any cough meds. However what I can tell you is i used for going on 3 years. and it was the worst 3 years of my life, ive been to jail 3 times something that i promised i would never do i grew up in a home that was no broken i had morals but when those pills went into my mouth that all changed i became someone i didnt want to be but i always found myself chasing that high. Take it from someone who knows the road your on... get off of it now before you become me doing any form of drugs always leads you down 3 different roads, 1 jails, 2 institutions, and finally death. take your pick because while your still taking these pills you will be nothing and become even worse. i have been sober for 1 month and i plan to continue down a sober road but since ive been sober ive finally started to get my old life back, one before drugs i have my entire family back as well. trust me NO PILL is worth losing it all.
It's been 10years since when I did a lot of DXM. This drug came in pressed pink pills.
I think they where 250mg but I could be wrong. I always did as much as I could. Going up to the risk of death warnings on erowid.
I always known that it ****** me up but I have never really got to the point to read about other people. I googled for longterm effects of DMS and just arrived here.

I am almost 30 now.
Please find another drug to try and use! And don't go with all the new research chemicals or spice mixes that nobody knows too much about. 10 years ago I didn't know anything about DXM and it seemed ok as people using it at the moment didn't have any difficulties after. If you are going for drugs please consider to first try the classic illegal drugs. If you can't get your hands on any and research chemicals are easier go to TOR and Silkroad. They send it to your house. Why do I write this? Because if you want to do drugs you will do drugs. Then it's better to do the ones that you know how dangerous they are and what hapends after heavy usage. But always read about everything you try and don't buy a pill from whoever. There ate tests like Eztest and tests for cocaine and stuff. Use IT! It's worth it in the end.

Don't do anything newer than MDMA if you want to be at least a little bit safe.
And this one might be really hard to follow, I still can't but don't use more than what is seen as an average dose.
I have never been an real addict to anything(not when comparing myself to "addicts") but when I do something I do it all the way.

I haven't written any of the **** I am going trough but it's all mental and it came without me ever knowing it.

If somebody told me back then what could happen, I would still do it. But If I went back today I wouldn't because now I know how it has been.

It's so easy to be stupid today and it's so hard to not regret things later in life.
Try things 4 times/year and never over do the dosage. 4 times isn't much you may think but when you get older 1 year isn't much ether, at least when you don't remember any details and the moths just go by while you go to work and come home from work.
I keep reading all these comments and it makes me want to cry. I wish I had seen this page a year ago before I stared using. I did DXM for 7 months drinking about 2-3 bottles a month. At first I would feel the negative effects only a few days after and then they would go away. I would feel low-energy and quiet. It was as if I simply didn't care enough to hold a conversation with anyone. I would go to school and just try to get through the day. Towards the end of my binge I finally started to noticed how much it destroyed me. I was completely careless about anything. I was hardly living, just going through the day. I became very depressed and anti-social. The worst part was that I didn't truly notice the effects until I was off it, and at that point it was too late. One of the last times I did it, I combined it with formec(Designer MDMA). At first it was one of the greatest feelings I had, but in seconds it turned into a terrible trip. I remember thinking that if I had a gun I would have killed myself. After that, I had a constant, horrible feeling of anxiety. It was mainly worst around women too. It was like I was a scared little kid who didn't know how to talk to a girl. I waited months for this horrible emotional numbness and hazy mentality to go away, but it never did. For awhile I developed slight dyslexia and to this day struggle with reading and comprehension as well as a ton of other critical thinking skills. It's not like I'm retarded, it's just a constant reminder of the mistake I made and who I used to be. I've been reading all these comments and have noticed every effect that has been mentioned personally. I'm anxious, paranoid, awkward, quiet, depressed, emotionally unstable, I struggle to comprehend and remember things. My short-term memory is terrible, and I feel like i'm in a constant mental haze. Almost like the dissociated feeling I used to get on DXM but without the actual high. I feel like I'm constantly zoning out and have to struggle to stay alert and attentive.

When I first started using drugs I didn't believe a lot of what people said about them. I had myself convinced it was mainly just propaganda and fear. It was mainly because people said weed killed brain cells. Once I discovered that was disproven, I considered a lot of scientific research on drugs to be a badly and quickly done experiment to keep drugs illegal. I figured that I knew enough about drugs to know what drugs were dangerous and I would be smart enough to avoid them. It's like DXM snuck up on me. It was an over-the-counter drug, how harmful could it really be? Little did I know that it's probably the most mentally impairing drug out there. I know that some people are reading this with a bottle of robitussin in their hand, wondering if they should drink it. No matter how many comments and forums you read, you're still going to convince yourself that you'll only do it once, maybe twice. There's no way you would let yourself have a problem with DXM. But trust me when I say that we all thought that as well. Trust me when I say DXM is ******* cool! And as awesome as an experience it may be, that only makes it that much harder to not do again. Ask yourself, do you think heroin addicts tried smack for the first time, assuming they were going to be addicted and just said **** it? No, they convinced themselves that they'd only try it once, or twice. But drugs are like mind control, you'll think of any excuse to do it again.

When I found this forum I started just by reading a few posts. It wasn't until I continued to scroll for so long that I actually looked at how long this page was, and that's when I was truly amazed. How many people have made the same mistake as me, and spend every day wishing they could take it back. Imagine not even being able to put a mistake out of your mind for a second, because it is your mind that's the mistake. It's a truly inescapable regret. At first I came to this page just to see if people were suffering from the same effects as me, but after I saw all these people with the same regret, I had to tell my story as well. So please, head all these people's advice and simply don't do it. I'm not going to tell you what drugs are good and bad, but just don't do this one. I was reading a forum before this and someone said that they had done meth, heroin, LSD, shrooms, cocaine, MDMA and other drugs as well, but they admitted that DXM was the most mind impairing drug they had done. The saddest part about reading this forum is that nobody said it got better. Not one person. It's like a curse that you'll have for the rest of your life. A never ending dissociation from the world and from the person who you used to be. It's not as if you've changed, it's as if you've lost yourself, forgotten yourself. Please, I'm not asking you to think twice about doing DXM, I'm telling you to pour the bottle down the drain. Because if you don't, it may take months or years, but one day you'll find yourself reading a forum similar to this, wanting to cry as well.
Thanks for your comment and you to everyone who posted....I posted years ago it's crazy to think I stumbled upon this thread again just searching for answers...I have finally been clean from DXM and alcohol for almost 6 months now..the longest its been for me being completely sober in 10 years. I abused DXM consecutively everyday for atleast 4 years or more of my life, going on and off from "tripping" on it in about that span of 10 years. It has been extremely difficult, emotionally, dealing with all the years of abuse I am putting behind me. I try to remind myself of gratitude everyday for my life. I think I'm depressed, even though I try to stay positive and functioning. With out using anymore I hardly know "who I am" in some aspects, I don't seem to really know how to have fun anymore with out using. So I'm trying to keep my head up and believe things will get better, and I'll have fun out of life the way I can with out DXM and alcohol or other drugs..Social situations are also more difficult for me, so is my overall energy level. I appreciate hearing stories of people who have recovered, I want a life where I'm happy and not bogged down my words I can't describe. To anyone who's contemplating using this substance, just like many others posted, it's not worth it to any degree. I almost killed myself, it made me want to kill myself. Now I'm just trying to find myself.....any thoughts are appreciated
I have read this entire page and can agree with everything here. I am 24 years old and thought I "used" to abuse DXM. It started with 8 pills when I was 16 and I felt like everything was somehow enhanced and cool like on MDMA. I walked home from my friends house feeling numb. When I walked I felt like I was bobbing up and down in zero gravity. I call this the moon walk. The problem with these pills was that you grow impatient for your high because you're used to instant gratification like marijuana gives you. So you end up taking more and then they all hit you like a brick wall. My body felt like electricity were running through it and my whole brain felt the most incredible release of happiness I'd ever felt before. I was hooked and cooked. I would steal as many boxes as I could find and move on to the next pharmacy. There is a high you get in stealing as well. The act of buying a drink you chug the pills with just to make them think you're a paying customer when you have 4 boxes jammed down you shorts pockets or hoody is scheming. I would also talk to the employees and get friendly with them so they wouldn't follow me or be suspicious. These attributes I've learned are something I regret and not the person I am. The drugs made me con and lie and steal. And being on skittles already when you go and rob more makes you very friendly. After awhile they started putting them behind the counters in my local area and I swear it's because my friend and I would steal them daily. Now I realize I'm not the only one. I went from 8-16 at a time and might chase with another 16 after an hour or more. I took so many one day I felt like God. I laid out on my front porch in the sun and just giggled for hours. I hallucinated so bad one day that I twirled my hands at a cloud through my windshield and it actually spun and came down and touched my windshield like a funnel of a tornado. I looked at the tiles on the floor and the grout line became a zig-zag then went straight. It got so bad that my friends used to take me to the hospital because I was "too high." They used to call my parents and tell them and it made me angry. I am red flagged at the hospitals due to an overdose of over 100 triple c's. My friends dropped me off there and I was so angry. You won't believe what possessed me to do this. I am no dope. I research every drug I do extensively and I came across a guy who overdosed on six boxes and died. It was the most I'd heard of and I wanted to outdo him. What a fool I was. I was transferred from the hospital to a locked unit to detox. I was high for a week straight. The fluorescent light would swish around in circles and was blurry. My friends came to see me and I was crying I was so excited. I'd finally done it! I'd permatripped! I was permanently high. I didn't believe it possible and later found out it was not so after I'd come down. Eventually I got so sick of the taste of the triples and the amount I had to take and the vomiting etc. that I quit. It's been a couple years now and just last week I tried them again. I went out again after that. I worry this will kill me. I'm taking 8 then 20 minutes later 8 more followed by 8 40 minutes later chased by 8 so 2 boxes. In the past if I made a day of it I take 3-4 or more. I found out something more deadly then the dumb things I'd already done. One day I could only snag one box and proceeded to buy a 12 pack. I soon realized that the alcohol increased the pills potency and vice versa. I could literally hear my brain sizzle after I came down. These pills were free and gave me the best high out of all the drugs I've taken and I've taken many. How can you get sober from something that is everywhere and that you love so much? I'm lost. I'm doomed. I've though of asking a pharmacist if I can somehow order pure DXM like dexalone etc. I wanted to ask about permanent side effects but through my research I have found no medical proof of brain injury. This further fueled my using. I read comments about things I currently experience but someone said it goes away after months or years. These are things an addict does not want to hear because it lets them know this drug is okay. Drug use is all about rationalizing usage. I realize dxm puts holes in rats brains and most assuredly does so in humans but there is no proof. Little is known about the side effects and the medical world is ignorant to possibly the number one addiction out there. I lost friends over this because they didn't want to see me destroy myself. My fry buddy said her personality had changed. I believe it is quite possible. I know for a fact I have an above average IQ because I'd been tested years ago. So I felt like If I want to be mindless zombies like other people who somehow always have a smile on there face then I could abuse drugs. I had chronic depression and mental illness before I used any drugs. This drug helped me express myself and feel confident. I could smash things and never feel it. I could talk to total strangers and be content. I could be left in a dark and lonely cellar for awhile if you just gave me skittles. It made me content no matter what went on in my life. I've been through a lot and lost good friends and struggled socially. I never asked a girl out. I'd put deodorant on 15 times a day and wear a winter coat to school all year round.
I always thought people were judging me and thinking how chubby I was etc. I used drugs and ate munchies because it was the only thing that made me feel good. I lost my friends due to there own selfish behavior and how people change on a dime. My drugs became my friends. They were always there for me and always would be. They never let me down. I must add that these social and mental problems occurred before using any drugs so they became my outlet. I have no idea how I haven't died or crashed my car while on skittles. I used to pull over when the second box kicked in but now I find myself still driving. It is so dangerous because what you look at is pretty clear but it's in a small circle of your vision. Everything else is a complete blur. It's like looking through a paper towel roll. I used to go to Target and pop em in the bathroom and then go behind the store and just sit and walk around and have fun all by myself. I didn't need anyone. If I used with others I'd find myself not even talking I was so high. The amount of things and thoughts going through my head were immense and talking was a distraction from the plateau I was on. From what I've read I've been to the highest plateau several times. At one point I even thought the drug was a means of entering a third dimension or spirit world. It was just another reality I'd entered. This world was just as real as the one I'd been existing in. When I entered that detox I was working and going to school. I was a functioning addict if you could call it that. I'd go into work high and skip classes I didn't like to get stoned and pop skittles. My parents paid for my College which is something I regret the most. I ended up in detox again one day after I'd went to a pump and pay station and well.....I didn't pay. I had no money for gas and skipped school because I needed skittles badly. I pumped on the other side of the pump so the cashier couldn't see me and I had my hoody up. I thought of removing my license plate just in-case but decided I may get pulled over and was in a rush to get high. I blasted down the highway high already without having taken any. Only an addict could understand the excitement of either having the drugs on you or knowing you're about to get them. I got home to my parents house and since I didn't have red eyes I passed as sober. The awful thing is my parents were so used to seeing me on skittles they thought that was the normal me and I could get away with it within reason. They got a knock on the door and it was the guy from the gas station. He said when he saw my hoody up and noticed my car had reversed to specifically go on the other side of the pump he grew suspicious and got my plates before I'd even finished filling and peeled off thinking I'd escaped scott-free. He never even called the police and just asked for the money back. My parents said I was in school and the clothes I was wearing were not owned by me. The guy said he wore a blue hoody and wasn't really wrong but the one I was wearing was very dark blue with red and white stripes. They believed someone had stolen my car and then dropped it back off at the school. I hid my use for seven years and had them convinced it wasn't me. They then went through my car and found the sheets of skittles I was too high to throw away. I'm sure you know that you may toss some out but after a binge you may miss some. They had no idea what they were and looked them up. Eventually it was clear it was me and I was sent to detox again. After this I'd become homeless as I had to quit my job and suspend my second semester at college because I'd been in detox 2 weeks. My parents wouldn't let me live under there roof If I continued to use. I used my last paycheck to go from pharmacy to pharmacy taking pills and blasting music. This was actually worse for me because I was bored and homeless so I got high all day long. The worst part was when I was at the shelter they'd give us free bus vouchers to go get jobs etc. I rode the bus and got off at Target and popped boxes. I waited 45 minutes til they came back then hopped back on and got off at CVS etc. Another time I had watched Superbad for the first time on 2 boxes at my buddy's college on a big screen. When I left I was weaving inside my own lane and someone called it in. I was pulled over and failed a sobriety test miserably. DXM alters your balance significantly and I had to hold onto a fence to keep balanced. They took me to the hospital to take my blood and after a night at the station was released. They never found anything in my system of course and I made up a story of how I was drinking and someone must have slipped me something. This is how I beat my DWI. The cop told my parents that is the most high he'd ever seen anyone. When asked what town I was in I told him X when it was Y. I quit every single hard drug up until last week. I am a heavy pot smoker and have no regrets about that and feel it's less harmful then alcohol and helps me with mental illness. It's prescribed in other states to patients and I have a half dozen diagnosis that qualify me for medical marijuana treatment. It is expensive though and eventually I was broke and desperate. Past high memories weren't enough to keep me contained so I did triples again. These drugs ruin your short-term as does weed so I used to take videos of my highs. This was a big mistake because whenever I wanted to get high and the pharmacies were all out I'd watch them and laugh at how destroyed I was. I got some of my friends into them so quitting became hopeless and was never thought of at the time anyway. I need serious help. I was so high one day my vision went completely bright red and I srated calling my friends telling them goodbye. This stuff is free and fries my mind the most and I have no idea how I can not think about them. Even while sober I'd find myself peaking down the Cold isle just to see if they were there. I used to have rules about stealing. Be out within 3 minutes and just assume they're already onto you when you enter. Act like a customer and even ask employees where to find things and then never buy them. Talk to employees and every once in awhile buy something to not arouse suspicion. My golden rule was never go back to a place you'd recently stolen from. I broke that rule one night because I was already high and decided I'd need more for the night. Hannaford was the only one that still had them. The last time I was in there they were onto me and I used to work in retail so I knew which cameras were duds and what not. I would be sure I was never stealing them in front of any camera, customer, or employee. They followed me around and I booked it down one isle and snaked out the exit and ran like hell. I foolishly went back the next night and made it out into the parking lot before I heard someone yelling. At first I thought they were in distress, but soon realized they were from the loss prevention team. I could now hear him clearly saying stop and for some reason I listened to him even though my car door was already open. I went inside with him and they sat me down in the back room. I coughed up the skittle sheets and then thought of a plan. I began to sob and tell them I'm an addict and I'm so sorry and couldn't help myself. It was all just another scheme which in reality was true. They ended up not calling the cops and I was free to go. I could go on and on with stories but my point is I will die from this drug. I know the risks and how foolish it is but I can't shake it. If you stop you always go back. There are drinks I could not drink while sober because they reminded me of pounding skittles. There were munchy foods I couldn't even look at. There were many songs I heard while tripping that I couldn't hear without wanting to score one last time. Just one last time....just may be your last.
If I could go back I'd never have done weed which caused me to experiment with other drugs which lead to triples. I've lost friends, jobs, college, and dreams of a better life. I've lost countless future friends and gf's because all I do is get high and play video games and think about getting high when I'm not. Anything to distract my mind from thinking about my past regrets and what I've become is what I'm into. I cannot stop, even knowing there is a better life out there because I'm an addict. Every goal seems out of reach and unattainable but instant gratification and self-worth comes with getting high. I'm so insecure that even talking to a girl out makes me sweat and I shake. I am not like most other people and feel like I am different. Drugs make me feel secure and confident and I find friends who share my interests instead of judge me for them. And having druggy friends is also a good way never to be sober or get sober. Even when a friend OD's it's not enough and may scare you for a few months. I am depressed and anxious and pot and triples are my cure. I've tried anti-depressant and anti anxieties and they didn't work. I took all 60 of my adavan and was blacking out here and there. It wasn't the drug I'd want to die from as it wasn't my favorite but it was free. So I eventually gained self-control and just stopped. This drug is one of many demons I struggle with. The more I do it the worse I feel about what I'm doing to my friends and family but I can't let it go. I wished I never did drugs and made something of my life. I know I'm still young but hope is non-existent. If you want to lose who you are along with your friends, family, and possessions do drugs. If these things do not appeal to you then stay away. Whatever instant gratification you get is only followed by pain and remorse. These thoughts after you come down are actually what cause you to want to use again so you don't feel that way. It is a vicious cycle I have yet to break. I cannot say I didn't have good times with drugs but I know I could have had a better life and have a gf, degree, job, real friends, etc. My heart hurts and I have muscle spasms following use. I hear sizzling in the back of my head. My nerves are completely shot after being electrocuted by this drug for several hours or days. I pee orange and have wrecked my liver. I have ripped my stomach lining so bad I could only eat a half piece of bread and feel full. I feel lost and rightly so. My parents always told me drugs were bad but they never told me drugs make you feel good. I've learned the hard way that they were right. If you've read all of this you are a saint. Any addiction you have consumes every aspect of your life and drains you of your money and time. All you're left with is a feeling of what could have been had you never used. You're an embarrassment to your own potential and to your family and every thought makes you so sad you grab for the drugs. Stay strong and find help through support groups and family and TRUE friends. You're better then this and deep down you know it. Do it for all those who never made it and those who still struggle each day like so many here. Do it for your family and friends. Most of all do it for YOURSELF. You ARE worth saving. Give life a chance before you take chances with death. Thanks for reading.
Weed itself cant cause you to do anything, only your own experimental mentality. Nothing stops you from doing what you want but you. Its all about how strong your mind is, or how weak.
I am 16 and i used robitussin and tripple c's for the first time when i was 13, i took them together. Half a bottle and 4 pills. It was the best night ever, and the start to a terrible world. I bagan abusing it on a daily basis, only resting when stores were out of stock. I would do anything to get my hands on it. I thought i was just having a good time, not hurting anything. It was a pretty big deal where i lived. At first i would do it with my good friends then i started waking up with the irresitable cough medicine craving, and thats how i would start my day. After about 6 or 7 months i started taking up to 3 maybe 4 bottle or 2 boxes a day. After a week long binge of that my stomach began to swell making me look 6 months pregnant. Not only was i abusing tussin and trips, i was becoming a 14 year old alcoholic. I continued to think nothing was wrong because my grades were still great and all friendships in tact
I began feeling sick in the mornings like a knife was stabbing and scraching all around in there. Then my bestfriend, who had previously done it with me began to not enjoy hanging out with me because i was constantly  high. I had a few scares where i thougght i was going to die, one of them being the last time i did it. My heart started to feel like it was under pressure and going to beat right out of my chest, off 8 pills. I hadnt had an experience like that even on 20 pills. Now i suffer long term effect from just 2 yeara of abuse. I stutter or pronounce my words backwards for ex. I attempted to say electrical can opener and insteasd it came out electrical micanicker. Wow. I cant hold a conversation because i draw so any blanks. I also use to be pretty funny and outgoing, now i feel drained and unpleasant to be around. I cant remember the tiniest things, like what i diid two minutes or even seconds ago. I cant remember what im watching once it goes to comercial and find myself digging in my brain for such recent information. Sometimes i even see things in the corner of my eye, a sign of some brain damage. I once did it at school the day i had a math test, me having the highest grade and never getting less than a B on tests, i failed that test. I suggest not doing it and if u must, not more than once, its like meth only to your mind and not your body. I cant go a week without craving another taste, and ive been clean for a year. But i cant unless im willing to lose everthing ive gained.
Oh yeah and my stomach felt that way everyday for about 6 months after i quit using Cough medicine.
Hey how long since you quit? Your age and the maturity of your brain may have a lot to do with your side effects. I starte when i was 13 and did it for two years only being sober when stores were out of stock. My side effects were and are not nearly as bad as yours. How much would you do at once? And i dont beleive all of your symptoms will be permanent. Most of mine have at least partially vanished. Hopefully you have the same luck, your too young to deal with **** like that.
dude dont it suck i live everyday with that shitt im suprised i havnt had a heart attack wotkin out in the florida heat landscaping but it weird it does have much pressure when im workin i cant even smoke a joint without my chest hurtin only thing i can do to help is xanax or another benzodiazpine sometimes opiates but in high amounts it ****** my life up n the ****** thing is i dont ever see it goin away an its been prolly almost 3 years seince ive even touched the ****
I abused coricidin for 3 years (15-18) , my gallbladder was taken out, i was obssesed with conspiracy theories, i placed my hands on my grandma, I did lots of terrible things, broke so many hearts of loved ones
. I now attend a private Christian college, im in the honors list, and been clean all along, all this in the lapse of 5 months since I let Jesus into my life . I still  struggle with  depression sometimes . I am socially awkward, I feel a constant paranoia and I always feel like quitting but i dont let it take action. I am currently under a healthy lifestyle but I honestly give all the credit to Jesus. When I used to Tripp on those things (3 to 4 boxes) I swear I would feel the precense of the devil. Stay away from them , they make you a monster. But because of that trial i went through, I can now reach you guys and tell you that god is bigger than this. I beat the addiction and you can do that too! Contact me if you need someone to talk to! ***@****
I'm 23 years old I met dvm when I was about 13 my first time I did 16 pills I fell in love with it I started out doing 16 pills of triple cs maybe every 3 days when I was 14 I would go through 24 pills almost every day till I was bout 16 then I realized I could escape reality and the stress of life from 16 I would do maybe 30 to 48 cornice dans almost everyday I would not care about anything I was in n out of juvy .. Jail for minors for stealing, burgarys , until I turned 18 .. On one of my binges of maybe 35 pills 8 ounces of delsym and smoking weed I broke a car window stole some things and od'd at the scene I got 3 years in state prison which I did all 3 in prison I would get mucinex from the nurses and get high in there.. I came out nov 12 2012 with a mindset not to ever do it again ... I was working out a lot n stayin away from everyone I knew. Well I started drinking about 2 weeks after I was released n one drunk in night I decided to go to a pharmacy and get some delsym after that night I've been doing dxm worse then ever I'd do it everyday I'm talking 3 boxes of corniced in and a bottle of either robo or delsym with it everyday I'd b so gone I couldn't walk or talk this has been goin on for maybe 5 months or 6 I would do it till I'd breakdown cry n go crazy cause I hated doing it but couldn't stop craving it... Just recently I stopped cold turkey it's been only maybe a week n a half I think about it every hour .. It feels like there's some one in my head yelling go get it go eat some dxm everything will be better all the stress of life will go away if you take it but now I have the strength to say no to myself I'm currently about to be a father n have amazing support I mean right now there's no major side effects I'm not having chest pains I don't feel like I've lost any knowledge from treating my body like **** I'm in shape healthy ... But ik if I do it again it won't stop until I end up dead or in jail........just sharing my story dxm is evil if you abuse it...the only good thing that came out of it is I don't think ill ever ave a cold again. Ha..
I see lots of horror stories here about DXM use. I would like to point out that the FDA did exclude the substance from scheduling, and there have been numerous long term studies about its permanent effects. All of these studies have been found inconclusive. Hardcore use of this drug seems to do one main thing. It down-regulates serotonin production. With chronic use at, high levels it'll slowly destabilize your brain chemistry. This can be mitigated by an SSRI. If you feel damaged as a result of DXM use, this may help restabilize your emotions, and clear the fog. The brain has a way of healing itself over time. All is not lost. Until I see conclusive proof that Onley's lesions exist in humans, I must discount them. I'm not saying that DXM isn't a dangerous drug, but I feel as though it has been villified. Dissociatives work by blocking synaptic transmittion with in certain brain areas. This creates a feeling of being 'out of the body'. Synaptic communication returns to normal, provided that long term chronic use hasn't down regulated serotenergic receptors. I don't think it should be avaliable to anyone under the age of 18, and I would be very cautious about exceeding 400mgs. The expectorants in cough syrup can cause digestive problems, and circulatory problems.Taking any preparation that contains acetominophen, and exceeding 4000mgs of acetominophen creates a high risk of liver damage. DXM all by itself is fairly well tolerated by the body. Do not mix it with an SSRI, as you risk a hyper-tensive episode A.K.A. serotonin syndrome. This can be fatal. What an adult puts into their body is their own buisness. I don't condone DXMs abuse, I just wanted to share a few things I've learned. I welcome rebuttal if any of this information is inaccurate. Be safe, and for god sakes don't get behind the wheel after taking it.
Please don't ever do this for a recreational drug. I was 15 in junior and my friends introduced me to this drug who would of ever thought cough syrup and the liquid gels got you high? We got really into about 20 pills a day for a week and it felt more like months with being high all the time the doctor and the detention center told my friend that we were lucky to even be alive because one day we took 50 pills we honestly thought we were going to die. I had to tell one of my friends that wasn't into this to tell my parents and the principal so I could have a support system to get me away from all of this. I got suspended and my parents were awesome on getting me off of it and the school counselor had me come in 2 times a week during class. It's been 4 years since I've done this and I have memory problems. I stutter and talk extremely fast not knowing I'm doing it and I have terrible migraines and acid reflux.
Stay as far away from this drug as possible so not worth it!
I have been struggling with dxm for several years now. It started initially as an experiment. We would take an entire box of Corieceden Cold an Cough.....and yes i know that it also has the antihistamine in it and is the most dangerous way to use dxm. We had a great time at first. Now i have lost most of my friends, my job, my house, my car and i am on the streets because of the decisions i have made while on dex. When i go cold turkey my body feels like it weighs a million pounds and i sleep for a solid 24 to  36 hours at an thats a minimum.....I have made it to the point in which i am free and clear of the effects of withdrawal and i go for several weeks but then i think well "Just one more time wouldn't hurt". Thus begins the perpetual state of hell my life has become......So to anyone considering using DXM for recreational purposes. I would think twice. I had a career as a professional photographer and i had also started my own company doing armed security for low income housing complexes but all of that was lost because of my addiction to this wretched drug.
I just want you too know I agree with you. There is something weird about that drug. It opens up a part of your brain that we as humans shouldn't be playing with. You walk in a dream like state. And leaves you open for the demons and the devil to influence you, and leaves you open for the taking whether good or bad. Pray that you're stonge emotionally and reality grounded. Bc you will see and hear things that till this day leaves you questioning your very belief of reality. Its my relationship with god and his son Jesus that I never and haven't fallen out...but it is a battle that I will continue to fight untill I am free of the hold it has of me. I talk to god everyday and he is battling with me. If you must take it...be prepared for the battle of your life to not lose yourself. And hold on to the reality of your truth and what life is. If not he(devil) will take you and he will not let go without a fight. And trust me he does not like to lose or anyone to cross him. Ya'll may think we are pulling your leg but yes demons and the devil. There is deff something weird about that drug.
I'm 51 yrs old and have been doing dxm daily for the past 8 years. I've had two two week occasions when I didn't use but that's it. It has literally taken over my life. Been to two rehabs for it. Lost a marriage over it and am in treatment for it now. I know of no other cases where dxm has been used to the extent I have used it. I'm trying to tytrate down now but am having a hard time in doing so. I'm working w/ an addiction therapist on it......Been doing it so long, the only time I feel safe/normal is when I'm on it......
I have been using dxm for four years.  I am in my 12th treatment right now in a locked facility.  It has totally ruined my relationship with my ex-boyfriend and sister.  But I am determined to do it again when I get out of this locked facility.  I wish I could just let it go.