Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Long term subutex/suboxone withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Long term subutex/suboxone withdrawal

I have been on Subutex and suboxone for 6 yrs now and am on my 17th day of withdrawal. I started on Subutex for 2 yrs then for 4yrs have been on Suboxone. I didnt evan start withdrawing untill dat 6 and now I am at day 17 I am still withdrawling and am confused. I'm being strong and pushing myself yet I need some help with some sort of time line, as without hope I feel as if this will never end. If anyone has a history of use on this drug as long as mine it would be of great assistance to me to have some feed back. thank you.
angie I am so sorry you are having such a hardtime I wish I new what a timeline might be but honesly I dont. Let me see if I can find someone with more knowlelge of sub WD Hang in there we are here for you ...
i wish i knew what to tell you as far as a time line goes. my boyfriend just started taking suboxone for his long term heroin, oxy & vic abuse. i was kind of hoping that him going on subs wasn't trading one addiction for another but that's what it sounds like from what i have been reading.
Its really hard to gage some sort of timeline when it comes to sub withdrawal, especially when you've been on for 6yrs. I was on sub for 18wks, the first 10-14days were physically the roughest for me, however the mental aspects of w/d continued on for awhile. Besides the depression/anxiety related issues the hardest part for me has been sleeping and fatigue. I tried some different medications but none of them really helped. The one thing that has turned my life around has been diet and excercise along with a healthy dose of vitamins and amino acids. Try and be as positive as possible about the process and allow your mind/body the time it needs to recover. As slow as it goes by, time really does heal, hopefully here soon you will start to feel better. Anyways congrats on kicking such a long term dependency, keep up the good work. Take Care.
Thankyou for you positive feed back I will take it all on board. I am tring to live hour to hour at this point as it makes the mental side easier. Also Tysonred thanks for the diet and exersise advice as this is something I have planned and you reitterating it gives me strength to push myself. will write soon as am not well. Thankou for all your support, it helps in a big way. Angie83
Hey there and welcome to this forum.  It is truly hard to gauge a timeline.  6 years is a long time.  I was on suboxone for a little over 2 years.  I took my last suboxone on Sept 2 2008.  I will not lie and as you already know - suboxone is a hard and loooong detox.  You made it 17 days already and CONGRATS on that.. Thats a big deal. Dont be confused- what you are experiencing has been experienced by many people coming off suboxone.  We are all very individual in how withdrawal effects us, but I suffered badly coming off of suboxone.  20 days in and I was still losing my mind with physical and emotional symptoms.  Like you I was confused and really thought something was wrong.  But your ok.  Just hang in there.  Its so taxing on the mind to experience this for such a long long time.. You expect withdrawal but when your at day 17 and still feeling like he11, it can really break you down..  Each week will get a little better. I think around 30 days you will start feeling a big improvement.  The emotional/anxiety stuff can linger for a while after that.. getting through the first 60 days is key.  17 days and you have come very far.  I PROMISE you --as someone who would never have believed it at day 17 -- that it DOES get better.  You will feel better again.  It just takes some time.  So hang in there.  Things that can be helpful -long baths, brisk walks, music, and anything and everything to take your mind off of what you are going through.  It is a lot part mental... so stay positive.  Posting here helped me tremendously - just relating to other people going through the same thing and not feeling so alone.  Use this forum as often as you need to talk.. many great people on here.  Please know there is a light at the end of this miserable tunnel and stay strong.  One of these days you will begin to feel better, more like yourself.  I am about 5 months off suboxne and I feel better than I have in years and years and never imagined it could get this good again.