Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Looking for a safe way to taper off Norco

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been taking narcotic painkillers to help with severe diarrhea-predominant IBS/Crohn's Disease since February '08; it's escalated from Tylenol w/Codeine to Norco 10/325.  I have a serious problem with the drugs now, as I'm taking a lot more than I should, and I want OFF.  I have a new medication to start for the diarrhea, but need to be off the narcotics before I can.  I think I have enough pills to wean myself off without suffering too badly from withdrawal symptoms, but am not sure what to do.  My doctor is out of the country until the end of September, and I really don't know who else to ask.

Thank you -
Hi there. I am tapering off hydrocodone right now. Ive been dropping 5-10 mg every3-4 days, because that is what works for me. I drop a little more once my body gets used to the lower dose. I started at taking 60+ mgs everyday, now Im at 30. Everyone is different as to what works best for them. I feel a little tired and aching legs from time to time, but all in all I have felt pretty good. Like I said, this is what is working for me and Im so proud of myself. I can do this....and so can you!!!!! Others will share their methods with you. A wonderful bunch of people here that has so much to offer. Like I said, I drop a little then go with that for several days until I adjust to the new dose, then go down a little more. Its good if you have someone that can hold your pills for you and give them to you on your schedule. I dont have that, but so far Im doing good. Good luck and you have made the right choice to rid yourself of those horrible pills and you have came to the right place!!!!
Hey there - I really appreciate the information - I've been here before, only not to this extent (it was with Vicodin about 20 years ago, and at that time it was 8 pills a day) - this is much worse (for me, at least - I see people on here who have been taking outrageous amounts of Oxycontin and are still alive to write about it!)  Thanks for sharing what works for you - I was hoping to find someone that would take the time to encourage me - I don't have anyone to "hold" for me, so I will have to "man up" and be good about it myself, because I know what's in store for me if I don't.  I don't know what's worse, the feeling of my skin crawling, the yawning and watering eyes, the body aches, the restless legs, the feeling like my stomach is going to drop out of my ***, the sleeplessness or the depression - that's why I just can't go CT - I can't.

Thank you again for your help - my name is Karen.  Hope to talk with you again.  Any other information or advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated as well  :-)
Someone on here suggested going down one pill per week, but for me I dont want to drag this out that long. Im very anxious to get this over with. This would be easier with someone to hold them, but Im like you, I have to do this myself. And CT is not an option for me. For one I have to work, and another Im just to chicken to feel so bad. The ones that do that are so strong. I have so much respect for them. I just cant do it. It helps coming here and writing how you feel and sharing that with others. So definatly keep coming here. These people are awesome! You can do this! Find what works for you. Come and share how you are doing...Good luck to you!
Hi, I am currently detoxing from a norco taper and I am feeling really good. If you go to my journal you can see my taper schedule and my comparison between a taper and cold turkey detox on a daily bases. The best way to taper is to drag it out a bit or the taper doesnt really work. Other wise you just drag out the wd. Good luck
Hey there - thanks again for the next reply - I'm so appreciative for the support - I've looked at this site from time to time, but didn't think it work for me (as I said, I have Crohn's Disease, and have tried other support sites for my illness that DID NOT help me) - so thank you again, and I will keep you posted - I start my "clean up" tomorrow.

:-)
Hello - thank you very much for your reply - I did read your journal entries and must say that's an awfully detailed list!  I unfortunately don't have that kind of time - I would if I had more medication, and am really glad I don't have that much medication, because I'm already in trouble, and would be in even more trouble if I had any more.  But I will go back and read it again and see if any of it could potentially help me.  Best of luck to you, and thanks for your support - I appreciate it  :-)
I need help and much support tapering off this monster. I currently take 20 10/325mg of Norco. I have been on this regimen for about 2 weeks.. But overall I have been on these pills for almost two years. I regret ever taking the first pill,to begin with. I have been reading the posts on how to taper off. I'm thinking I should cut mine to 10 pills a day to begin. But then what? I'm frankly sick and tired of this demon & definitely going broke... Any advice - encouragement will be highly valuable and definitely take into action. I can't do CT.. I have children to care for and no one to help me. I need to do this for them & I want my old self back.
Hey, if you go to the top of the page and click on POST A QUESTION, its in the orange box. That way you will have your own thread and you'll receive so much more help. This is a really old thread, starting your own is the best way. Hope you figure it out, stick around there's loads of help in here. Wishing you well, ;)
Hi Love me and welcome to the community. this post is some 4 years old and the members are not active. If you look just below you will see a blue link that will take you back to the community. Once there, at the top of the page is a orange (I think that's the color) button which will allow you to start your own post. That way it is current and there is great support here. We can walk you through it every step of the way. Hope to see you out there. If you need any help, just yell.
& digger1976.. Thanks. I was able to start a new thread. Please follow.