Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Lortabs on Breastfeeding

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Lortabs on Breastfeeding

Anyone have any imput on taking lortabs while breast-feeding? Can't find much info on line. All I can find is " we do not know the effects of taking this drug while nursing". Since it's safe during pregnancy, just wondering if its safe while nursing.
I would call a pharamcist. Just say that you are using the meds for a condition(i dont know what you are using them for) and are wondering if it is safe. They will give you the best and safest answer.
Hydrocodone does pass into breastmilk.  However, short-term, low-dose use is not contraindicated.  Long-term, high-dose, continual use IS contraindicated due to possible sedation or other effects on the breastfeeding baby.

"Because of the relatively low molecular weight (about 381), passage into milk should be expected. Although occasional maternal doses of hydrocodone probably present a minimal risk for adverse effects during nursing, infants should be monitored for gastrointestinal effects, sedation, and changes in feeding patterns."
I am not doubting Grace's posts, but really just call Walgreens. Itll take 30 seconds, and its for your kids safety.
Of course there's no replacement for getting actual medical advice from a qualified professional (insert "I am not a doctor" disclaimer here), but I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the OP had a reason for asking the question here instead of approaching someone in person/over the phone.

In other words, I agree that she should call a pharmacist, but I think it's also pretty evident that long-term, continuous, high-dose lortab use is bad for a breastfeeding baby.  I mean, look, this is a forum for addicts, and it's not as if the OP is going to call a pharmacist and say "Hey there, I've been taking 10 Norcos** a day for all eight months of my baby's life and breastfeeding continuously throughout that time...is that OK?"  Sometimes you take advice where you can get it.  I'd also advise the OP to search on "hydrocodone" "breast feeding" rather than the brand name "lortab."

**Fictitious example only, not meant to imply that the poster in question has been taking this number of pills.
Breast feeding will also include drugs that are in your system...............the baby will get the lortabs along with the milk from you.........