Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Lyrica the wonder med

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Lyrica the wonder med

Just a heads up. My pain doc gave me a script for lyrica to help with the wd. Its for the rls and sleep. I had a taper thursday and the rls came on strong last nite. I have rls to begin with but the wd makes it even worse. I took a lyrica 75mg 1/2 hr before bed and my legs havent been so peaceful in years. Also it works for the sleep and even noticed my pain was better. The nice thing is its a non narcotic and none benzo. Still can be mentally addicted because the buzz you may get but I didnt notice anything but being a bit tired. Anyways just a heads up for something that works for me.
I've seen people abuse these for the buzz.

From rxlist.com:

Abrupt or Rapid Discontinuation

Following abrupt or rapid discontinuation of LYRICA, some patients reported symptoms including insomnia, nausea, headache, and diarrhea. LYRICA should be tapered gradually over a minimum of 1 week rather than discontinued abruptly.

Hmm, sound familiar? ;)
I took Lyrica for a couple of months, awhile back,  did not notice the habit forming thing,  did notice the out-of-pocket cost.  So my Dr. put me on Neurontin 600 mg three times a day.  I only wish it did give me energy, or any kind of a buz cause it would have been nice after detox.  I think the Neurontin has helped me with my nerve pain, and has helped put alot of weight on me,  with the Cymbalta and Remeron.  I am ready to slow down on the weight gain now :(    To me, it is just like everything else, it affects some people differently than others.  For those prescribed it and it helps in more than one area, then great !!  I don't mind needing the anti-depressants or the neurontin,  it is helping me and I am happy for that much!!    Good for you BIKERDAD1963, I'm glad its' working for you !

Ella
From Wiki:
Withdrawal symptoms include restlessness, insomnia, and anxiety. Withdrawal symptoms are similar to benzodiazepine withdrawal but the severity of the withdrawal depends on how much pregabalin has been taken and how long it has been taken. Pregabalin should be reduced gradually when finishing treatment.
Yep I did the research before trying it. This is just to be used thru my detox. Just a great thing to try during detox. I will go back to my normal rls med (elavil) after detox. Also just using before bed not during daytime. Its just a great alternative to Val. and Chlor. as physical dependacy is a lo. Just a suggestion on something that is working for me.
I don't care who uses it for what,  I know that for Chronic pain and lupus,  these meds have been alot of help for me.   I think that if a Dr. offeres something and there is any doubt abt. it, then a person can always find a computer and look things up and find out for themselves.   I know that this is the addiction forum,  just so happens I am one of the many on here who also has Chronic pain and was searching for something not opiate related.   If it helps with a person's pain, and they are prescribed it,  then I don't see a prob. comming off anything,  under a Dr.'s supervision.    I understand alot of people don't have that luxury and I hate that, but as long as I can drag to the Dr. and find help, then I will be okay.  Hope you are too.
E
Glad you did the research. But didn't you warn me about valium and ADs?  I'm confused.

I don't care what you take either. I don't care what anyone takes through detox or for pain. If someone is in chronic pain and taking 20 oxys a day then I don't judge them for it.

But it does sound to me like it can be as habit forming as a benzo or an AD if taken long term.

As for coming off any habit forming drug, whether under a dr's supervision or not, whether you taper or CT, you're going to to through wd.

But sounds like you have a handle on it and are only taking it for a short period of time.

I just don't see the difference between taking valium for a week or another habit forming drug. I know for a fact I will not get strung out on valium after just one week.

Whatever works for you.
Lyrica is not an anti depresent and isnt a norcotic or a benzo. Very safe to take and normally not an addictive drug physically. it is used for nerve damage patients. it tells the brain not to send to many electical pulses to the receptors. It is very safe to use and seems to work for the purpose it was perscribed for, rls. But yes with any addict you do need to be careful with any drug.
Cneck out rxlist.com.

http://www.rxlist.com/lyrica-drug.htm - page 8

Do not stop taking this drug suddenly without your doctor's approval since seizures may come back, or you may have a withdrawal reaction.

This medication may cause dependence, especially if it has been used regularly for an extended period of time, or if it has been used in high doses. In such cases, if you suddenly stop this drug, withdrawal reactions may occur. Such reactions can include difficulty sleeping, nausea, headache and diarrhea. Report to your doctor immediately any such reactions. When stopping extended, regular treatment with this drug, gradually reducing the dosage as directed will help prevent withdrawal reactions. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.

Though it is very unlikely to occur, this medication can also result in abnormal drug-seeking behavior (addiction/habit-forming). Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently or use it for a longer period of time than prescribed. Properly stop the medication when so directed. This will lessen the chances of becoming addicted.

Got it Read it. Thank you. I am on the lowest dose for 1 1/2 weeks. I am on my final taper now and start detox thursday. I was told to start it before my detox so it gets into my system. I was very sceptical myself  as I always preach about taking one drug to cover up another. The fact that its a non narcoric and requires long use to become possibly addicted sold me on it. Besides I only have enough for a short while. After all I have been thru there is no way I would ever ever ever take a chance to become addicted on anything again. Well maybe sex....LOL.
I took lyrica for fibromylgia (fibromyalgia), it worked for the pain but the weight gain and my hands and feet swelling didnt. If you read the pamplet that comes with it,, it states it can be come addictive if the patient has an addictive personality. My doctor also had to slowly decrease my dosage when it was discovered I couldnt take it for the side effects..  I think it is like alot of meds, works differently for different people. just be careful and stay under your doctor's care while taking it.   I have never heard of it used for detox but more power to you, I hope it helps you,
Lyrica was developed for the pain of Fibromyalgia.
It really doesn't matter what Lyrica was developed for. What matters is what it is prescribed for.

Lyrica reminds me a lot of oxycontin in it's marketing. And it's all about the marketing. I'm not saying Lyrica is as addictive as oxycontin but we don't know the whole story about it yet.

The history of oxycontin in Appalachia is a horror story. The FDA approves a drug which is then really tested on the general population. The pharmaceutical sales people push it and give out free samples and it is the new wonder drug.

Oxycontin was marketed as this new wonderful pain medication with a low risk for addiction and abuse. Doctors were prescribing it if your toenail hurt.

Then someone discovered you could crush them and snort them and get a really good buzz. And even people taking them as prescribed were wanting more and more.

Soon it got to the point where you could sell them on the street for $1 a mg and pharmacies were being robbed daily. The pharmacies stopped even carrying it and put signs in the window to that effect.

In comes the DEA to the rescue. A lot of doctors were sanctioned and some lost their licenses. But the lid was off Pandora's box and to this day, hillbilly heroin addiction is alive and well.

This is true. Google it. West Virgina sued Purdue and won the lawsuit.

Now, I'm not saying that Lyrica is this bad. I'm saying you just don't know until something has been used for several years by people. Ultram was also marketed as being non addictive.

I have seen people abuse Lyrica. I have seen them exhibit drug seeking behavior to get it.

J And I'm not saying BikerDad shouldn't take it short term. Or that someone in pain who uses it and gets relief shouldn't take it.

Just something to think about.
Just took a lyrics 150mg for the first. Time.. it definitely. To my pain. Away. And I definitely. Feel like I'm buzzing