Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Lyrica

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Lyrica

Quick question,  I have pain from surgery I had for cancer years ago.  My dr just gave me Lyrica.  I have been taking 4 hydros 10/500 a day for several years.  I very seldom use more,  I took the first Lyrica last night and feel pretty sluggish today.  Has anyone on here taken this and had any luck with it?  I have read some bad things about it which I guess all of these pain killers have bad side effects.  I just want to know has it helped anyone cut back on the other pain killers.
I'm surprised no one has any answers on this?
Lyrica is not a opiate. It is in the anti depressant line.
I did try it for migraines. Some have have great success with it.
It is also used for all type of pain. Fibro, back pain. It works on different
receptors of the brain. I do know it takes awhile for your body to get use to it.
You may want to spaek to your doctor about the side effects.

Terry
Thanks for the reply.  I read about it and was concerned about the side effects.  I know loritab is not good to take for long periods of time but it has seemed to work for me.  I took a 50 mg lyrica last night and I had a tired feeling most of the day.  I told my dr I would try it for a week.  I didn't want to get on anything that was going to be harder than loritab to get off of.  I did ultam a couple of years ago and it was no fun when I stopped that.

Thanks again for your reply.
I am coming off lyrica after taking it for two months.  75mg twice a day.  I have weaned off of it and have now stopped all together for about three days.  i am feeling increasingly sad and anxious.  Im not sure if it is the drug symptom  I feel introverted and dperessed.  Treating my partner with disrespect which is not like me.  I feel disinterested in any physical interaction.  I don't know   just totally out of sorts.  Do you think this is withdrawal   How long does this last.  i am tired of apologizing to my partner.    Also very lathargic. I feel like isolating.
Hey, everything your feeling is so normal, I have no experience with Lyrica so I can't advice you as much as I'd like too, but the fact your 3 days in and still very early on the road to recovery I would suggest you surrender to it! It take while for motivation to return, depression to leave, and so on! You should start your own thread, you will get more advice and support. It might take a few hours for people respond as it's late now but respond they will. If you go to the top of the page, in the orange box, (post a question), and put down as much info as you feel comfortable giving. I wish you all the luck in the world!
I would run from Lyrica !! I took it for a month and it did a number on me! I've also read where it is the HARDEST drug to get off of. Thank God I only tool it for a month. It made me stay mad all the time.
Hi there. I take a whole lot of Lyrica every day, 50mgs/3caps tid and 2cap hs. have been for a couple of years now. This is the maximum dose. In my case for severe Fibromyalgia pain.  
Apparently it was created for Diabetic nerve pain...which is why it works on pain receptors. It is a different type of medication and they all take time to become effective. Best when you have a continued, regular pattern like 3 times daily etc, not just one here and there.
When I run-out of my meds ( too unwell to get to my pharmacy) I do feel my pain much more so than I anticipate. So I do know it works at reducing that.
I don't remember having side-affects, but then when you have my illness at a severe level...symptoms blend in and you never know what is the illness or something new?
I hope you find it helpful, if you have to move up a dose, do it gradually. I did and although at the top, it is working for me.
I am also on Cymbalta which seems to compliment it.