Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Lyrica???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Lyrica???

Hey there...I had my drs appt today to ask for help getting off of Ultram.  Thankfully he did not turn me away.  He set me up on a slow weening schedule and since I was worried about my fibromyalgia pain coming back, he put me on Lyrica.  I know nothing about this med.  Does anyone have any info? The dr. did tell me it was not addictive because that was the first thing I asked him!!!  I got online to read the side effects of lyrica and it said you can not suddenly stop taking it or you will experience w/d!!!  That sounds addicting to me??
Any info y'all might have sure would be helpful! :)
All medicines tell you not to suddenly stop taking them.  I have fibromyalgia as well and my pain has come back big time since I stopped taking the pain meds.  Lyrica is an anti-epileptic drug like neurontin.  I am on neurontin it helps with the withdrawals but I don't find any relief for the pain.
I am taking Lyrica for chronic nerve pain.It has helped me so much.I have read the side effects and it also scared me...........I have had no ill side effects while on it at all.I have not gotten off of it yet but my doctor said he would wean me down slow and I would be fine.Do what you think is right for you.Talk to your doctor and tell him your concerns.  :)

Good luck
I am currently on Neurontin (gabapentin), and wanting to switch to Lyrica. I have heard great things about it.  I suffer from nerve pain from scoliosis and am on painkillers too.  I am hoping the switching to lyrica will help with the amount of painkillers I need to take in the run of a day. A friend of mine suffers from Fibromyalgia and started taking Lyrica over a month ago and has had wonderful results. Best of luck trying out the Lyrica! :)
I found this information about Lyrica on the Pfizer website for the medication. Click on the "Patient Product Information" tab and you can read entire summary. This is just a portion of what you will see there.

"LYRICA may cause some people to feel "high." Tell your doctor, if you have
abused prescription medicines, street drugs, or alcohol in the past."

Website link is:  http://www.lyrica.com/content/main_home.jsp?setShowOn=../content/main_home.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/main_home.jsp

I don't know if this means that it is addictive but they obviously mention this for a reason. Still, you have to work with your doctor and decide what is best for you.
I'm picking up the script today.  Is it like a pain killer???I just hope it works!  It would be great if it helped with any w/d I may experience plus keep my fibro pain to a minimum.  It seems like some people have had success with it.  I only hope it works as well as my current stuff....the bad stuff.

I take it and it works for nerve pain. At least it eases it for me. It is addcitive though. You can't suddenly stop it. I know when I did(should have tapered and didn't) I had withdrawals. It will help with your withdrawals from Ultram such as restlesss legs and muscle cramps.

Melissa
It will not be like taking narcotics *at least it wasnt for me* It helped alot, but differently.
Good luck and remember to give it a few doses to start helping.Dont expect the same feeling that the others give ya tho cause in my case that didnt happen
A freind is on lyrica and it makes her kinda loopy....she is the type to abuse just about anything tho...i do think she takes more than prescribed...I am on nuerontin..i asked to change to lyrica but my pain doc said nuerontin is a safer drug..lyrica is stronger and I would not take it the first time if i had to work the next day...as with any drug...use as prescribed and be on the lookout for any abuse tendencies towards the drug...for me there ae some drugs i would tend to abuse and others that I would not..I like the energy and do not see myself ever abusing benzos or sedatives of any type..but post-addiction we have to keep our eyes open and educate ourselves on any new drug we are prescribed ..many of us have chronic pain issues and some types of medication will always be prescribed for some...u r right to look into it before starting it
It also makes you gain weight ):
Definite bumber then!  LOL
Remember, Ultram is marketed as non-addictive.....Just be careful
I just wanted to put this one back at the top to see if I can get more info!