Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Lyrica

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Lyrica

Anyone take this med? I called it on Saturday and forgot to pick it up due to child illness. I have been on it for a month or two. I just plain forgot. Kids come first. So, i had been off of it for 2 days, maybe, and I went upstairs to check on my daughter and I felt like a taser-gun like shock in my back and my legs hurt and then went to sleep(numb). I sat down and it went away. I done that all day yesterday but I could sit down before they went numb. Is this because of the Lyrica or id I just reinjure myself?
Where are all of the peeps that were on here last week handing out advice?
Its off and on....they could be at work, still sleeping......just doing something else..

I for one am going back and forth....I have a little one here today and beadwork to do.....Just busy..

and sorry, I dont know anything about that medication..
Thank you for just responding. It seems that when I post, I get nothing back. I guess maybe my subject? I am going to start putting something up there that is all funky!
Good morning....I have never heard of that. Did you google it to see if that is a side affect???
lol that might..work...

sometimes people just wont post..it isnt anything personal..it could be they are just busy..or dotn have time..or just cant relate or offer any advice...

I try when I can..even if I know nothing about it..to atleast acknowledge that someone is readding...I mean after all..it would make them feel better..to say the least..however, not everyone is like me....THANK YOUR CHICKENS for that lol.......and nor do I always the patience or the time..

butyour not ..not being heard...I hear ya..just cant relate lol much
I have taken Lyrica before but I'm not sure if what you are feeling is because of it or not.  I just took it because I liked the way it made me feel and when I stopped taking them I had mild w/d but at that time I had my hydros to fall back on.  Sorry couldn't be of more help.
My doctor gave me Gabentin. It does seem to help with the back pain and  I did not have any adverse reactions. It is suppose to make you sleepy and does something to help the sciatic nerve. I think it also helps with anxiety. You could ask your doctor about it.
Always,
M
That is about all I can get too. It is so new, there hasn't really been that much to report. I don't know what they made you feel like. I can't tell I have taken it when I have, but I can tell when I haven't! I guess it will be one of those forever meds, huh? It works really well for me. No more, burning, stinging and shooting. Just numb. Numb sucks but is better than pain!

My doctor gave me some samples and I never took them. Here is what I found on the net. Hope this helps

LYRICA is used to help people with diabetes manage nerve pain and for pain after shingles. It is also used together with other seizure medicines to help people with partial seizures.  

LYRICA is not for everyone. Some of the most common side effects of LYRICA are dizziness and sleepiness. Others are dry mouth, swelling of hands and feet, blurry vision, weight gain, and trouble concentrating. You may have a higher chance of swelling or gaining weight if you are taking certain diabetes medicines with LYRICA. And, if you drink alcohol or take medicines that make you sleepy, you may feel more sleepy when you
start LYRICA.  

You should not drive a car or work with machines until you know how LYRICA affects you. Tell your doctor if there is any change in your eyesight. Also tell your doctor if you have muscle pain along with a fever or tired feeling. If you have had a drug or alcohol problem, you may be more likely to misuse LYRICA. You should talk with your doctor before you stop taking LYRICA, or any other prescription medication.  
I was a surgical assistant for 15 years.  Leaving the hospital one night, I stopped for gas and was shot in the chest, point-blank by two individuals who then robbed me.  I nearly died and thank God I am still alive.  The bullet is still over my left lung and is lodged against a chain of nerves which causes me to have horribly constant burning pain all over my body almost all of the time.

I tried every pain and neuralgia medication on the market from Neurontin (Gabapentin) to Lyrica and nothing would stop the horrendous burning & tingling that shot through my extremities.  

The pain was so tremendously bad at one time, that I attempted suicide just for relief.  

Then recently, I read on the internet that many patients with nerve pain have had success with medical cannabis, or medicinal marijuana and exasperated, I tried it myself.  I found that cannabis gave me instant relief and I didn't have to take the prescription narcotics my doctor had me on anymore, which was great because those drugs rendered me a complete zombie...  

Anyways, thankfully the benefits of medical cannabis is finally being realized in the United States.  If anyone thinks they might benefit from the use of medical marijuana, they must possess written documentation & authorization from a physician that cannabis helps their symptoms.  Additionally, one must live in one of the current fourteen states who have ruled constitutionally in favor of helping to alleviate patient's in pain with the therapeutic usage of medical marijuana.  

I know different things work for different people, but for me nothing stopped my terrific pain except smoking prescription cannabis.

Good luck to everyone else who suffers from nerve pain out there...  We're the only real ones who understand how bitterly painful these diseases are.

I found quite a lot of useful answers to my questions at NORML.org  a non-profit organization dedicated to the National Reform of Marijuana Law.

God Bless;

~R
I have complex regional pain syndrom (syndrome) which is a nerve problem.I am also on Lyrica.I hate it.I have stopped taking it now.It makes my body go to sleep and I have gained soo much weight.
Different things work for different people but to anyone who is considering this please read all the side effects and be careful.

Good luck to you all
Jen
I have been taking Lyrica for about six months now for the treatment of fibromyalgia which is a terrificly painful condition. Unfortunately I am also a drug addict. It began with my diagnosis and all the pain medication that was prescribed for me. I have never met a pain pill I didn`t like. It got to the point where I was ransacking every medicine cabinet that I came in contact with for labels that read "may cause drowsiness". I was worried when I first saw the label on my Lyrica bottle and I was right to be. I am now in the same vicious cycle with them as with all the other pills. I take too many and I run out early and have to try to figure out how to get more. I have not experienced any of the side effects that you mentioned but you never know for sure.
My friend abuses lyrica and gets stoned out of her gourd off of those things...i took one and my fingers were numb and i felt yucky the next day from it...i take neurontin and will stick to that...some get an euphoria from lyrica similar to narcotics....I spoke with my pain mgt doc about the drug...i have the feeling that drug may have some more guidelines soon.  
I have never had the numbness that everyone keeps referring to. The thing is that it does help with my pain a whole lot! When I take it the way it is prescribed it makes all the difference in the world. It helps with everything, the fatigue, the pain, it helps me sleep, all of it. I just have to find a way to stop taking too much of it.
My wife took it for a month and for that whole time everyone who spoke to her thought she was drunk.  He speech was slurred just like she had been drinking to excess.  She would tell me that her thoughts were clear enough but she could not connect to her mouth.  And she is not a woman with low tolerance for opiats.  Yes it does help a good percentage of folks.   But this stuff has a lot of side effects they aren't telling people about.
I didn't read all the above comments, so I may be repeating someone else's response...but, I know that you are not supposed to cold turkey quit lyrica.  You should wean off.  It is probably what caused the strange shocks and pains in your body.  
My doctor just prescribed it for me and I will see how this works for me. I hope it does but if not oh well. Let me know if iyt works for you and I'll do the same. I dropped script off and they have to get doctor approval for insurance purposes. Search me? He wrote the script but that is what pharmacy said to me so I will probably call today to see if it is ready. What dosage are you on?? Just curious. Mike
hey..i take Lyrica everyday. Actually 2x's per day. It has worked for me. It did take about 5-6 weeks to feel it though. I have never had a problem with them as some have mentioned above. I get no high from them or anything like that. Thank god. That is the reason i am on them. I needed something for my pain but as we all know cant trust myself with the pain pills. I take 75mgs twice a day.
Hi Angel,

I took Lyrica for a few months and had the same thing happen to me when I stopped. I felt tingly. The wd's were jsut as bad for me as the opiates. So I stopped. It is addictive though exspecially if you have an addictive personality. Just don't stop it abruptly, wean yourself off.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.

Melissa
I was told by Dr. taht he prescribes it for the pain as well as the lovely nerve damage symptoms of burning etcetera.......
we'll see how it does and I pray it has no reprecusion in the way of addiction for me.........
Just wean yourself off slowly, what dosage are you taking?
I tried it...it is like the new nuerontin...my fingers went numb like and tingled when i would type on the computer...i did not like it at all...my friend altho...loves it...it makes her feel euphoric and she abuses it....she is post addict and alcoholic...i dont think it is a good drug for some especially people who are addiction prone..I am sure it is great for others..we are all different
I have degenerative disc disease and have been taking it for about a month and a half. They started it while I was in the hospital. The docs decided to give it a try since I was getting up there having been on the opiates for years. They decided it would probably work better with oxycontin. it took about a month on both, but it totally annialated the pain. I have 0 side effects so far, but if it starts to bug me I'll post here.
Hi, I have been addicted to Lyrica for some time now. For me this is a horrible drug considering i was an ex addict. I can relate to alot of the posters side effects they described. I have never experienced anything like you were talking about though. My advise would be to see your doc...sorry couldnt be of more help
      The only thing I can say is I took it for about 2 months and I don't have insurance
,it cost $100 dollars for a 20 day supply, It did relieve some pain I was having in my left side . i didn't find it to be addictive but do feel that any meds you see advertise on TV often are going to be outrageously expensive.

I'm now on Nuerotin which makes me very sleepy therefore I only take it at night .
I take 1/2 mg zanax in the morning and 1/2 at night which seems to help my chest pain. I have had test on my heart/lungs/and stomach and the pain in my chest & back  continue on my left side. It is accompanied with  a heart fluttering feeling .I just thank God I wake up everyday, Each breath we take is a gift

I hope & pray  you get better
I have been off of Lyrica for 3 weeks now and suffered horrible withdrawals from it. My doctor had me on it to see if it would help my Interstitial cystis and vulvadynia. It did nothing but cause major weight gain.I never had any high or addiction from it at all. It did nothing but made me gain weight! *****! Stilll trying to loose it! Its hard! So I told my doctor I wanted off and I did a 2 week wean. I knew I would have withdrawals but, I didn't think I would. Boy, was I wrong. I am still not sleeping right. I had flu like symptoms for 2 weeks straight and headaches and agitation and anxiety, weird body temp,leg cramps...no rls though. I still have GI problems, some insomnia, but its getting much better! I just recently read about a woman weaning off Paxil and having electric shocks in the back of her head and back. Come to find out, they were very common withdrawal symptoms of getting of Paxil. I was on Paxil when I was 21 for anxiety and it did nothing and when I got off it my doctor told while I was weaning off I would feel like I had the flu for 2 weeks. Well I sure did but, it was not as bad as Lyrica and plus at 21 I had no idea what withdrawals were really. I think you need to tell you doctor about the symptom you had! If you abruptly stop taking Lyrica, you have a very high chance of having a seizure! Even if you don't have seizures, thats why you have to do a very careful wean with your doctor. I hope everything is ok!!
I was on Lyrica for quite a while for nerve pain (I've tried a lot of different meds.)  I was like duckandcover's wife.  I couldn't make the connect from my brain to my mouth.  I slurred words, I had trouble word finding, and I sounded drunk.  I hated it.  No one ever told me there would be withdrawals, and I don't think I experienced any, but I did have the oxycodone so maybe that covered the withdrawals.

I hated what Lyrica did to me.  It did help my nerve pain a little bit though.  I do remember, though, they told me it is not a drug you have to taper off (like Neurontin.)
It very well could be the reason . I am on it and very much try to not miss a day bc I have numbness n tingling . Double check with your dr. About the issues you had. I know one thing for sure its a med you just cant STOP SUDDENLY ! Hope it helps