Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Medical Professionals only please

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Medical Professionals only please

So I need some assistance. I have a friend who has been sporadically abusing ambien and fioricet (not at the same time.) This was actually something both of us got into together, though I have been much much better about cutting down/ stopping. she however has not. To my knowledge she is taking about 60mg of ambien for about 4 nights at a time and then won't take it again till her next script is due (usually a week or two later.) As for the firoicet, I've known her take about 6-7 each time and this is usually for about 6 or 7 days at a time and then she may not use it again for a few months. (I know her pattern, cause it use to be my own as well.)
I a rare occassion she had both meds in her possession yesterday and she just told me that last night she had taken the ambien and doesn't remember much, but she woke up and realized there were 14 or 15 of the pills gone.

Her husband told her she was asleep midnight so she thinks she took the pills before then.
Then she told me that she woke up with a bad headache and took a total of 6 or 7 fioricet around 1:00 this afternoon.
So I'm worried, is she in danger at this very moment? I'm aware that overall she has to stop this but I feel extremely anxious about her having all those meds in a 24 hours. I'm worried about possible interaction-- However, I read the half life of ambien is roughly 2-4 hours so I figure it may have been out of her system by the time she took the fioricet. Please let me know if you think she'll be ok or I have a need to get her to a hospital or something. I am crawling the walls wondering if she's ok. Thank you.
then only post on the doctor forum
Hi and welcome to MH. I'm sure the above poster did not mean to sound so abrupt and non caring...

There are no Medical Professionals on this forum...but there are some very bright people!

I have a lot of knowledge and experience with Fioricet and I'm sure you know what she's doing is very dangerous. Both of these drugs will cause amnesia. The Fioricet is tricky because a lethal dose could be the same as a regular dose for the person who's abusing it. It's very scary. She should be brought to the hospital for a number of reasons. The main reason is the fact that she is going to kill herself today or sometime very soon!
She needs to be taken to the hospital and checked out by a doctor.
I agree with Sarah.  If you haven't done so already...
no i didnt mean to sound so abrupt i am sorry
Throwing my vote in for hospital!  Hope she is ok.  Let us know, ok?