Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Meds for oxycodone withdrawl(withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hey all,
I've been addicted to oxycodone since age 14. I'm age 28 now and ready to put this behind me. I've lost everything because of it. I've lost my family, friends, multiple jobs, lost my good credit, and all my money has gone to this drug. I use around 100mg daily, snorted. And only now its just dawned on me that I'm an addict and its the source of my problems. I'm gonna call a methodone/sub clinic Monday. I do have chronic pain, I was shot with a 12 gauge shotgun last year and it really messed me up. Do you think a dr would be willing to give me a chance a prescribe Methodone? Thanks
Dear Rebel,
   Some clinic will probably take your money.
   I have a question for you? Just get off the oxy,right?
  You've come to probably the best site on the Internet for support. Take advantage of your good fortune.  Pamela
Welcome to the forum!  It's great that you recognize addiction is the cause of circumstances.  Just think, if you get clean and get into a recovery program.....ALL those life circumstances will turn around for the GOOD and you'll only be 28 yrs old!

Since you said you've been using for over half your life, you're gonna need to learn all you can about addiction....change all your using friends, places you hung out and get yourself involved in some various forms of aftercare support.  Cutting your sources, sharing your addiction with someone that can hold you accountable once you decide to get clean, and support from other human beings who are choosing to live their lives without drugs are crucial to succeeding.  (STAYING clean one you detox).
Wish you well.....hope you'll post and share.....this forum is FULL of support and good advice...not to mention some funny, loving people~
Please research the methadone and suboxone.  Both are very strong and very hard to come off.  Read the posts here before committing to either of those drugs.  You can do this without using subs or methadone.  You'll get a lot of support here.  The Thomas recipe helps take the edge of your symptoms.
Oh yeah, with a 100 mg/day habit to a short acting opiate....it'd be crazy to go on subs or methadone....they are TOTALLY synthetic....long acting...MUCH stronger that oxycodone...and VERY HARD to w/draw from.
We can't "avoid" w/drawals and feeling uncomfortable and sick for a bit....we have to be willing to go thru the nasties to get to the goodies.
Hi & Welcome,

You have so many choices. You are looking at Suboxone or Methadone? Okay, here is my take (from personal experience). If you choose Suboxone understand that it is not just a pill. It IS a program designed to get you through the rough part and help you get your life back. It should always be combined with counseling and some sort of group meetings like NA. If you just take the pill you will at some point have to detox from that and it will make the others drugs seem like a cake walk.

Methadone? RUN..RUN like the wind. You will be so sorry that you ever took it. I could go on for hours about it but I hope you will not need that talk.

Have you considered just stopping and not going from one pill to another? I don't know your medical history but cold turkey is always an option. Tell us what you think?
Hi rebel and welcome to the forum. I'm sad to hear that you have had a 14 year addiction when you are still so young! I'm glad to hear that you now realize that it is the source of many problems and that you feel ready to quit. That is the first and most important step in this journey. Everyone here has been where you are now, stay here with us because we do understand. My drug of choice was also oxycodone. It is very powerful and grips your soul, making you believe that you can never live without it. Guess what? It's not true!  Some folks here like me did it cold turkey, while others used suboxone under medical supervision.  We have all been successful. It seems that those who used methadone just traded one big problem for another.
I think c/t is faster and more efficient.  The most important thing is that you stop using oxy. You must CUT YOUR SOURCES, delete dealer numbers and let everyone know what you are doing. Use the Thomas Recipe to ease detox symptoms which you can link to at the bottom of this page. We will be here for you whatever you decide.  Keep posting and let us know how it's going.
Hi and welcome!!  It's great you found your way here.  This sight is full of support from people in all stages of recovery. Oxy was my DOC, and I was on Suboxone for about 1 1/2 years.  I can tell you that the detox from subs was worse than the oxy for me.  Really do your research about it so you can make an informed decision.  There is life after drugs, you can do it.  Remember to cut your sources, tell people so you don't have to do it alone.  Post to keep us informed of your progress and ask questions when necessary!!
Thanks for all the posts. I'm serious about quitting, and willing to cut my sources, and commit to counseling for however long is necessary I have never been able to quit cold turkey. I always go back to my old ways. So I though methadone or subs would be a good idea this time. But yall really seem against that. I don't know what to do :(
Be brave. Take the leap and jump off! We'll be here to catch you!
Again honey, if you jump to another drug you will have to detox from that.. when do you get off the merry-go-round? You need to make a decision to take your life back. What will it be?
Hi Rebel...you say you've never been able to quit c/t, you always go back to your old ways.  The big difference THIS time is you have all these people here at Medhelp to guide you, lean on, and catch you, as msdelight said.    

Real quick, let me share something with you.  I was in the deepest hole just 48hrs ago.  Because of all these great people (and one person in particular namely 10356), I got the push I needed to flush, then cancel the refill on a script.  By myself, I would of Never of done that!

Please listen to everyone.  You can do this, girl, you can! :)
Hey rebel,
Welcome to the site.  I just wanted to drop you a message to let you know that you are not alone.  I have been addicted to massive doses of fentanyl and oxycodone for chronic pain over the past 20 years, and I have been trying to taper off the fentanyl slowly.  Just a few days ago I posted a similar question on MH, asking if I should follow my psychiatrists recommendations and go on methadone to make the taper easier.  I received a similar response to what you are getting--NO WAY!  Methadone and suboxone are both synthetic opiates, which have a tendency towards lingering in the body and making them much harder to come off of.  In addition, the half life of these drugs is the longest of any opiates, and the longer the half life the longer the withdrawal period.  (I also should mention that methadone severely impacts hormone levels--especially testosterone if that makes any difference to you...)
I know 100 mg of oxy sounds like a lot, and it is a decent habit.  But the bottom line is I really think you would be trading in a medium- sized problem for a gigantic super sized problem.  Have you ever tried to go cold turkey?  I know it is hard, but it is a HUGE accomplishment when you are through.  If cold turkey isn't an option, how about tapering?  I know when you are addicted tapering can be very difficult, but is there someone who can ration out the pills for you?  If not, perhaps putting all but a few days supply in a safety deposit box so you really have to work/think before getting access to the extra supply?  There are lots of tricks to tapering on your own and I would be happy to share them with you.
The bottom line is that you have other options out there besides going on methadone or suboxone.  If you are alone like i am, this site is a tremendous resource and you will be blown away by the caring advice and support you will receive.  Please keep posting and we will be with you every step of the way....
Phoenix