Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methadone Maintenance

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methadone Maintenance

Hi all, dont know if you remember me from a few years ago as blotoutthesun, anyhow since then got off pills, but went onto methadone, been there 2 yrs, i went to 80mgs back to 30 back to 80 now at 26, anyway im starting a 1mg decrease every other day friday, im sure someone on here has done this, i was wondering if i quit at like 5 or 10 if my withdrawal symptoms will be severe, ive detoxed off a 100mg a day oxycodone habit and it sucked, everyone tells me methadone is a nightmare to detox off, i am so WEAK, if i quit and start to feel bad i know the first thing i will do, i have the most stressful job dealing with truck drivers and their stupidity all day everyday, i cant stand anymore stress!!
also is depression normal with methadone detox, ive never in my life had trouble controlling my emotions, sometimes i almost breakdown, when i used to be able to keep it inside, im not a person that shares what im feeling with anyone, but here lately i feel like im goin to explode
That is typical for all opiate withdrawals.  It stinks.  I cry at the drop of a hat these days.  It drives me crazy.  
thats exactly what im talking about, i feel like everything is falling out from under me, this nice life i have is slowly slipping away and there isnt much i can do to stop it, i cant afford $330 a month to be on methadone anymore, but im scared to death of quitting it, ive got 4 kids and im basically running my dads company, i cant be sick and still keep everything running smoothly
deep breaths.  You will get through this.  I dont have experience with methadone but have come off Fentanyl and it sucked *** but I got better and slowly felt better.  Hopefully Gnarly will be on later to give you advice on coming off Meth.  It will get better although it may not seem like it right now.
ive been on methadone for 7 yrs n was on 75mgs had two kids on it...the last 2 yrs have been lowerin my dose by 1mg every two wks n today im on 1mg with very lil w/d..if ur gonna lower dose id say go by 1 or 2mgs every two wks..the slower the better..give ur body time to adjust..if u have any other questions im here
totally agree im so depressed lately but now that im so low im startin to get hope back knowin its almost over.....i started writting how i feel everyday...from what my kids did to **** me off to how my body feels..it actually helps alot...good luck  hope u have a great support system at home that makes a big difference to..if not im here to talk  good luck n smile:)
Hi there, I think DEVONSTAR has given you some good advice. I think if you quit at 10mgs or even 5mgs you will suffer a fair bit, it is best if you can go right down to 0. I understand that it is expensive for you and that is too bad, I wish you had a system like we do here in Canada. I am on methadone too, tapering off and I am at 10mgs now, I have been dropping 1mg/week but now that I am at 10mgs I will drop 1mg every 10-14 days. The last 10mgs are critical, we want to get this done as quickly as possible but it's not the best way to go , although some member have done it. In Canada we do not have to pay to go to a clinic nor do we pay for the doctor to write a script, I think it is horrendous that  you have to pay that much. I don't even pay quite 1.00 for my weekly dose. Anyway, whatever you choose to do I will support you and I wish you the very best. I am open to a private message if you choose. Take care and good luck and please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.
HI   I was on 150mg for about 6 12yrs been clean from methadone now for several yrs the trick to not feeling the full brunt of it is pump yourself full of of vitamins and go slow if your going to be running a bisness your going to have to......now for the vitamins go up to walmart and pick up a 3 in 1 vitamin...calicum magnesum zinc ...take 4 in the morning and 4 with dinner in a few days this will greatly cut down on the withdrawals you feel we cant post tapers on the forum but let your body be the final judge when to drop if  your feeling it wat it out til you dont feel it any more then drop down again...slow is good and most only run into problems because there going to fast if you need more info just message me good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
YES I DO REMEMBER YOU..I'VE BEEN ON MAINTAINACE FOR 7YRS & AM NOT GOING BACK,,I HAVE 12 BOTTLES TAKE HOMES,,& I'M GOING TO TAKE 1/2 OF THE 60 MILS SINCE I'VE ALREADY BEEN TAKING HALF  BUT EVERYTIME I RETURNED TO THE CLINIC THEY WERE GIVING ME 60 AGAIN SO I COULD NOT KEEP GETTING A SET BACK,,I ACTUALLY SPILLED IT WHEN THJE NURSE TURNED HER HEAD,,MY COUNSELR  LIED TO ME..THERE WAS NO WAY HE COULD JUSTIFY THE STORY THAT WHEN IN JUNE I ASKED TO BE RAISED FROM 36,,I WAS LOOSING MY RIDE AS A RESULT OF UNSCRUPULOUS MANAGER AT TRANSPO WHEN I HAD A SAFE DEPENDABLE RIDE FOR MANY YEARS THEN AFTER AYEAR W/ ANOTHER COMPANY HE INSTIGATED A TRANSFER,,I WAS NOT GOING TO SHARE A RIDE & GO TO A CLINIC WHERE I'D HAVE TO ATTEND 30 CONSECUTE DAYS I REPORTED THIS TO JUSTICE DEPT UNDER WASTE FRAUD & ABUSE,THE MANAGER & EMPLOYEE[S] INTIMIDATED ME AFTER MED ASSISTANMCE DIRECTOR FAILED TO READ THE NO OPTIONS TRANSFER & THE FACT THAT I ALREADY HAVE THE STARES EXCEPTION OF TAKE HOMES FOR 2 WEEKS,,MED ASSISTANCE CANNOT FOLLOW THEIR OWN MEMORADUMS THUS HAVINGALTERED METHADOME DIRECTIVES A CONFLICT OF INTEREST.I LOVED MY DRIVER & IT WAS VITAL THAT I HAD SUPPORT,I FOUND A TRUE FRIEND & THE RISDE TAKLES AN HR 10 MIN,,APPROX IT WAS NOT THE SUBSTANTIAL EXPENSE THEY SAID IT WAS,,SHARE A RIDE & THE DAYS I'D HAVE TO ATTEND ANMOTHER CLINIC WOULD MAKE THEM MORE MONEY """WARD BILL SB 638"" INEXPERIENCES MORONS CREATED AN EMOTIONAL DANGEROUS,, CATHCH 22 INSTIGATED THE TERMS THAT ONE MUST HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY?& OR PHYSICAL SAFETY? THE FACT THAST ONE WOULD SUFFER WITHDRAWALS "WAS" THE MED EMEHGENCY & PHY SAFETY WAS THAT I WAS ALONE W/ CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE THUS  I WAS RESPOSIBLE & DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYONE ROBBIBNG ME..MED AXXISTANCE HAVING DENIED MT APPEAL  CALLING MNY COUNSELOR HE ACTUALLY TAKED TO THEM AFTER DIRECTOR OF CLINIC TOLD HOM TO TELL THJEM NOT TO CALL MEDICAL FACILITY TRANSPO HAS BROEN EVERY LAW RE:PRIVACY I WAS TERRIFED OF NOT HAVING A RIDE,,DISABILITYY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY DID SO  I CALLED AN ATTORNEY, I WANTED THE DR WHO WRITES FOR METHADONE TO WRITE ME ALETTER BUT COUNSELOR SAID HE CAN'T DO THAT HE NEVER MET YOU HE COULD LOOSE HIS LICENCE" WELL THE ONLY CONCERN THE "DR" HAD WAS WHERE DID I GET HIS NUMBER?" THIS WAS SHEER .. NEGLECT BECAUYSE THIS IS A CONTRADICTION IF THE DR NEVER MET ME WHY DIDN'T HE LOWER ,ME 5 MONTHS LATER TO  WHEN I ASKED TO DO THE SAME BLIND DETOX THEN WHEN I WAS REALLY LOXE I'D HAVE TAKEN STAPS TO DO IT AT HOME,,I WAS JUST INFORMED I AM STILL""""ON 60?> WHEN COUNSELOR DID NOT TELL ME I HAD TO SIGHN A PAPRER FIRST  I NEVER HAD TO 'SIGN" ANYTHING TO BE RAISED,,WHY DID I HAVE TO 'SIGN" GOING DOWN? COUNSELOR NEVER TOLD ME HE WAS NOT GPOING TO LOWER ME!! HE'S ACTING LI9KE AN AUTHORITIXE CREEP 20 YRS YOIN\GER WHILE I'M BEINBG SUBJECTTED TO IMCOMMPITANCE AFTER ALL THIS TIME THIS COUNSELOR HAD TO COME ALONG HE HAS ISSUES & IS OFTEN OUT,,TAKING CARE OF "HIS" HEALTH WHATEVER IS WRONG W/"HIM" I AM NOT STUPID THIS TIME I WILL LET THEM KNOW THEY HAD BETTER WATCH OUT BECAUSE THEY'RE GONNA BE RESPOSIBLE FOR ME IF ANYTHING HAPPNEDS WHEN THEY DO NOT SEE ME THEY'LL ASK HIMN QUESTIONS,,THAT'S EXASCTLY WHAT I WANTED,,HE'LL NOT GET AWAY W/ WHAT HE DID TO ME,,NOR WILL THE SMUG DR,,WHO HAS MADE MILLIONS,,& DIDN'T PAT ATTENTION TO MY PERFECT HISTORY [RSORD OF NEVER HAVING "ONE"POSITIVE....THIS SUDDEN,,I HAD TO SIGN FIRT AINT GONNA FLY.. COUNSELOR SAID FROM  SIGNING,,HERE ON IN" BUT WAIT,A MINUTE WHAT HAPPENED TO LOWERNG ME AFTER 5 MONTHS? MONEY GREED? NOW I AM REPORTING DR TO LAWYER & WHEN I DO NOT RETURN THEY WILL BE SHOCKED AT WHAT MY COUNSELOR DID,,THEY'LL BE WORRIED KNOWING I WAS UPSE PLEASE TELL ME IF IMMODIUM D WORKS A LITTLE FOR THIS WITHDRAWAL T..I BOUGHT A LIVER CLEANSE,,AND ORDERED "NATIVE REMEDIES" FOR ANXIETY,,DEPRESSION [LOOK IT UP] I WILL MEASURE 20 MILS THEN 15,,THEN..SO FAR I AM STARTING WITHDRAWAL EASE PILLS,,3-5 DAYS BEFORE DETOX..I'M SO ANGRY,,OUT OF SHEER REVENGE I AM DOING IT AT HOME,,AND ON 60 BUT REMEBER I'VE BEEN TAKING 1/2 FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS.. I DID NOT TAKE ADVANTEGE OF MY TAKE HOMES I TOOK ADVANTAGE OF MY RIGHT TO BE LOWERED,, THE STAFF WILL BE CONCERNED..COUNSELOR & DR,, WILL BE SHOWN THEIR KARMIC ERRORS,,!!! LET THEM ""WORRY" NOW..TELL ME ABOUT IMMOD D PLEASE THANX JENTILPET