Methadone adverse reaction
This is my first time to take a methadone tablet and I took two because the first one wasn't working. I took them for extreme pain associated with interstitial cystitis and pelvic pain due to a cystic ovary that ruptured, causing peritonitis.The Medical community that I see are reluctant to prescribe anything that I tell them that works when I have these problems, which is not all of the time. I don't understand that. It pushes people to find pain relief that is oftentimes not ideal and dangerous besides as I don't really know what strength of pills I took. I am worse now. I am having some problems with the side affects and posssibly interactions with other medications that I regularly take. I am afraid to go to sleep for fear I will stop breathing. My skin is breaking out in rashes and I am experiencing a lot of itching. My blood pressure will not stabilize and I am getting scared. My stomach is swollen and I have urinary retention(just what I don't need with the IC) Is it safe to take Phenobarbital for seizures(something I normally am prescribed) and lorazepam as my neck is getting stiff Maybe from stress or sheer terror of what I have done. When will this methadone wear off??? Please if you are there ,talk to me. I feel as though I am extremely nauseated. I took these methadone pills about 9 hours ago, been up all night .Can I go to sleep now? Please help. Diana641
she just contacted me she is still awake
yes it is dangerous for her to take it together but it makes it even worse cause she is having an allergic reaction, she will eventually stop breathing if she dont start blocking the it, and that what the benadryl does till she can get to the er she needs to go as of 2 hour ago.
im not trying to be  mean but i dont wanna see anything happen to her.
Please let us know how shes feeling.I'm on the edge of my seat here.I'm really worried.
she still is feeling pretty bad  but she is still awake
What about the rash???Is it still there?Has it gotten any worse?
she didnt say  she has not posted me back since the last time I posted her back  lets hope she does I will ask her or I hope she posts back on here
thanks Avis..
Im glad you girls are there for her.          sara
has she posted back yet this is really scary
Maybe Im mistaken but didnt she say she usually is on dilaudid, so she may not be an addict but if shes taking dilaudid(hydromorphone) on a regular basis, she's most certainly dependent upon opiates, along with her prescribed benzo. Now it sounds like she ran out or for some reason didnt have her dilaudid and chose to take some methadone to ease her pain. When doing this its hard to tell what dosage is correct when switching from one medication to the other, and when she's taken a foriegn opiate to her body and mixing in her regular lorazepam this can lead to very serious consequences. It could be that I misread a post, Im not sure, but the fact remains her body has never dealt with methadone and that alone can be cause for concern. Im just trying to help, never would I call someone an addict that I didnt no for sure. But it sure did sound like she is an opiate tolerant person, just not with methadone. The most important fact is not that she is not an addict, it is that she has taken a medication that her body has never dealt with, now she's having what sounds like an allergic reaction, and on top of that the added benzo isnt going to help matters, it will only complicate the situation. I hope things have become clearer in the time I was gone, my only intention was to help the lady, as I think was all our goals. Hopefully thats what was accomplished!
if you reread her post..she was not on diluadid regularly..it's way up at the top..
I feel for your tough situation. These problems are tougher when a friend give you strong drugs. This person could be held accoutable in the case of something catastropic. I used to sometimes give friends who were in pain strong drugs but that was a big mistake. I'm not a real doctor. all the best
has anyone heard from her, if so is she ok, please let me know im really worried about her
I have been very worried about you all day as I am sure everyone else has too..when your able..please post back to us..I am praying that your ok..

and to anyone..like Mr.Lucky said..think twice before you hand out your meds to someone elase..especially something of the likes of methadone...not a good idea..
Wow....I hope she's ok nad i bet she learned alot thru this....I know i did.

You guys are really such great people....You all really seemed to care and i bet your PM's to her were even more helpful.

if you could please ready my new post.
I HOPE SHE IS OK, SHE HAS BEEN ON MY MIND ALL DAY. I REALLY HOPE SHE IS OK. TO BE HONEST I HOPE THE REASON SHE IS NOT WRITING BACK IS CAUSE SHE WENT TO THE ER
methadone is notorious for killing people who are first time users of the drug
it can interact with other medications, i believe this post should have been reported to the moderators
but thats the paramedic in me
her son is with her
can you believe her husband stuck a nerve pill in her mouth before he went to work???
whats up with that
I hope she is ok, this is insanity
this post made me think of my first few times taking methadone, on my 3rd or 4th time i was on 60mg, mixed it with another drug and i had to walk into a gas station and beg the cashier for help, i was only 18, they propt me up agaisnt the wall and my family came,
it is so sad, i am crying right now thinking about everything drugs take from people
if you come back to the forum, please do something about your addiction
goto detox, goto na, get better, you can do it
and hopefully your son will never have to see his mom go thorugh another possible over-dose
she PMed a few hours ago and she was fine.

Kova
ok..you guys..girls..friends..she has given NO indication that she is an addict..If everyone would just read what she has said earlier..she does not take pain meds on a regular basis...keep in mind that there are 2 seperate diana's posting on this post...the original poster..Diana641 said that when she does get pain meds for her condition. the only thing that works is diluadid...but the dr.s will not give it to her so she had to seek an alternate avenue of pain releif..please read her responses carefully..she also mentions that she feels she has a high tolerance..well dilaudid really isn't all that strong..most of us that have responded are addicts..so we tend to think about things in that manner,,like what we could tolerate etc...not to mention she has other medical issues including being on seizure meds...this is why it is important to read the whole thread..I know some of them can get tedious..but we have to get our facts straight as best we can...I just felt the need to clear this up...she was very scared and with good reason...thanks everyone..
she told me you guys were freaking her out even more.  she is fine.

Kova
kova when did you hear from her last
I just pray that this woman is the exception when it comes to mixing methadone and benzos,and I hope that she understands that the methadone is going to still be in her system for some hours and not to take anymore benzos for the time being.I have never been so worried about anyone here as I am for her.The fact is when it comes to posts like this,we are not doctors.What this woman ingested today could have very well been fatal,and I don't know if shes out of the woods yet.When someone posts something like this,of course we all want to try and help,but when someones life is at stake,it's not the time to give an educated guess response based upon the fact that we are addicts or that we have personal experience with some of these drugs.Like someone here had said one persons dose can be another persons death,especially when it comes to methadone.The only sound advice to give someone in this womans situation is to seek proper medical attention.I'm sorry that she feels as if we were 'freaking her out'.I'm certain that wasn't any of our intentions.We literally feared for this womans life today,and rightfully so.I'm praying that shes going to be ok.The fact remains though that what happened to her today could have been fatal and the best advice,the only advice we should give someone in this situation is to seek medical attention ASAP.
This was a life or death situation in my opinion.  I am glad some of you stood by her and gave her the honest truth.  This was a situation not to be taken lightly.  sara
Kim,Great post !!!! You are right this can never be taken lightly that is a serous mix especially for someone who has never take methadone before. brushing off the seriousness of the situation  could be very detrimental for the poster .

She contacted me she is feeling better ten this morning and she did get some sleep so far so good hopefully it will stay that way
I pray that she is doing much better by now, However this is a reality check of how people need to read posts before posting, This woman has serious health problems female problems that can be hell to go through, She didnt ever say she was an addict and I dont believe she is, She stated that she was at the doctor and they wont give her any pain meds not that she took all she had and ran out. She was in pain and no she shouldnt have taken a friends meds but havent we all been in so much pain at one point or another? Im sure she learned a lesson and im sure that she doesnt need to hear that over and over again. She is scared to death and the last thing she needs is to come here and be called an addict, Is is ever possible that someone can come here and not be an addict? SUPPORT HER AND GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES,

Sad and Avis and all you other girls, YOU HAVE YOUR WINGS for helping like you do, what angels you are. There is someone up above that is so very happy with you all =)

Sweetie , get some rest and dont take anything else, I understand wanting that feeling to go away but taking more of anything can really make it worse. Hang in there and I hope you feel better very soon.
AMEN!!  How is she now? Anyone know?  I have heard of others itching from methadone and to me the scariest part of the whole thing is the BENZOS she took with it  (unknowningly). I have personally know several people who have passed due to this deadly combination. Good job hanging in there for her everyone.  The 20mg she took to me wasn't the problem..it was the benzos with is and the ******* who put it in her mouth as he walked out the door!  Sorry..had to say that!  Please, let us know how she is if anyone knows!
Great post...you're absolutely right every little bit on posts such as this should be read before we comment and the most important part of the post,the fact that this woman is NOT AN ADDICT,should have been considered,if nothing else, before any response was given.In fact to be honest the fact that I am an addict,and shes not,and I've been on methadone and know a lot more about it since I've been here scared me more for her safety and her need to be seen by a medical professional.I feel as though this woman dodged a bullet today.I hope if this ever happens here in the future that anyone responding reads the entire post and takes the seriousness of the situation into consideration and makes no attempts to second guess what very well could have been a life and death situation.
I thought she may not be an addict but a pain pt.! wonder Why  she posted  on this board? It's a bad idea and illegal to give out narcotics to some else from your perscription.
The last time she contacted me about an hour and a half ago she was doing better and she had been able to get some sleep. I am hoping she will continue to stay in contact.
Kim,

Sweetie you are so right, This post was a cry for help and so many were here to help all of you girls were amazing. And it showed how loving everyone can be, We never EVER want to run someone away by saying those things to them, Its a shame that people cant just give support and help people and realize that its not always about addiction. I came upon this forum when I googled taking meds for years. We really need to read all the way before we start to claim we know it all or tell someone what they are!

Now on to the sweet lady that needs support, Has anyone heard from her? is she better? feeling better and is her BP anymore stable? Someone let me know , I will keep her in my prayers and all of you angels for the help that you gave so freely
Sometimes people are brought to us and we should help them, NO matter if they are an addict or not they need help. This forum is for that but we can also help others, We know alot about meds and sometimes can just lend a helping hand. There is a reason she came here and not to the Pain forum, Sometimes its slow over there so thank goodness she did come here or she might not have gotten the support she needed =)
Thanks avisg!!  I agree with you too Kim..I love this forum, it is wonderful, but I do feel that every now and then we get a couple "judgementals" who don't THINK (or in this case READ) before they speak!  

I have many years of experience with methadone and it has done wonders for me, but that's ME!!!  This woman had so many toxins in her, she was obviously  having a bad reaction..perhaps her reluctance to go seek help is due to the hospital doing exactly wehat some in here did....ASSUME she was an addict and did it on purpose!!  That assumption could have reeked havoc in her life, especially when UNTRUE!  

Okay..getting down off the box!  Good job avisg!!  Tell her we are all glad to hear she is okay!!
Yes Avis please send her our well wishes.
we may know a lot of drugs but we should give medical advise or perscribe drugs to our friends or they could become our late friends.
Of course!  Especially nowadays..many states have adopted laws that could turn a well-meaning friend helping another friend into a LIFER in the state PENN!  Lives can be dramactically changed and lost FOREVER!!
i have been communicating with her and she is fine.  the only reason i sent her a private post to begin with is because i also have Interstitial Cystitus and we were discussing it.  i didn't mean to undermine the seriousness of what she took.  she just found all the posts overwhelming.

kova
I just want to say that I think S.I.M., Avisg & Kim went above and beyond to help her today and it was wonderful to see everyone pull together to help her! That was great teamwork and wonderful support. I'm sure she did find the posts overwhelming..I did as well and it didn't involve me. However, this was/is a serious situation and needed to be addressed. There is no need for anyone to start in criticizing anyone or assuming anything. The most important thing on this post today was to help diane641 and make sure she was/is ok.

Diane...I hope you are feeling better. I'm glad you came to the forum and I hope it helped you more than overwhelmed you. When you are feeling up to it please let us hear from you!

JoAnn
O KOVA...I hope NO ONE made you feel bad about being there for her...you should NOT!  Everyone should be so lucky!   Good job to all that cared! And it's great to hear she is doing better!
it's pretty amazing to have so many people care for someone else..that is why I like this forum and the people here..
Kova- i see no reason for it necessary to post what you did earlier about what she supposedly told you..thats all I am saying about the matter. I am sure she was overwhelmed..she said so in her own posts..because she was scared to begin with ..but this was nothing to mess with..however..i think she has appreciated how much we all care..

Diana- I hope you are feeling much better and know that we truly were worried and care..thats what we are here for.
Diana,
Is doing much better today rash and itching are gone .She is feeling a bit spacey but much better.
She thanked all of us for being such a caring group of people that helped her threw this she was sacred in th4e beginning but doing great now ...
Oh I'm so glad to hear that.Thanks avisg for letting us know.
I am also very glad to hear she is better today.  sara
everyone really worked together to help her it shows what a great support system we have here
You people really pulled together thru this and it was great to see.  Look how many posts this generated.
Glad to hear her scary episode is over, but next time you talk to her...ask how her pain is today (PLEASE). I hope she is feeling better and the pain has subsided (which started this whole mess in the first place!)  Tell her to hang in there, she is in my prayers!
she lives with chronic pain, so it is not over for her.  she has IC as well as ovarian cysts and other problems.  she is the reason that they make these pain meds in the first place.  doesn't sound like she has very caring doctors, either.  she has so much going on.  say a prayer for this person.

Kova
Yea..I understood about that, I was just wondering if she felt any better. She had said that the pain comes and goes and yesterday it was at an all-time high..so I was just curious if she was feeling any better in that aspect today.  Nothing is more devastating than living in CONSTANT pain..my heart goes out to her.
She sent me a long email today I think she is doing better . She is dealing with a lot of pain hopefully she can find someone that can help her mange it .She is not an addict so she does not have to worry as much as we do .
Thanks Avisg!  I hope she does find the relief she so desperatly deserves.
I have been prescribed methadone for pain a while back before I was an addict...it is also used for pain and not just for withdrawal...I had used hydros off and on but this was before I was an addict...I was prescribed 10 mg twice a day after a surgical procedure..I dont think I ever took 2 at one time but I do remember it made me a bit sleepy and really did not get a buzz off of it at all/not a good buzz anyway..just a bit sleepy..i have never been a benzo user and I know that methadone/nor any narcotic/ and benzos are not a good combo...I have never seen a methadone tablet stronger than 10 mg at the hospital as we give it for pain often...but I would think it comes in higher doses per tab than 10 mg but never looked...hopefully all is well diana and keep us posted..it is never a good idea to take drugs from a friend...but i do know that when we are in pain things can change and we dont always make the best decisions..drinking nor any other pain meds/nor benzos mix with each other in reality..It is not recommended to take benzos with oxy or hydros either...educating urself on ur meds is important as sometimes it seems doctors do not know much about what they prescribe..be safe