Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methadone and Xanax Detox

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methadone and Xanax Detox

I went to detox for methadone and xanax about three weeks ago. I was taking 180mgs of methadone and 20mgs of xanax per day for about 7 years. I know that is alot. It did not happen overnight, but I did taper the methadone down to 40mgs within a year, then went to detox 2 days into methadone withdrawal. The ER doctor gave me Klonopin for the xanax WD's because I was about to have a seizure in the ambulance from only 16 hours of no xanax. Anyway, I was taking suboxone for the methadone wd's, and librium for the xanax wd's but I was extremely agitated, violent, and suicidal because of the wd's. It's too much to wd from both of these without tapering. I saw a psychiatrist yesterday as a last resort before I relapsed on xanax or killed myself, and he gave me Neurontin and Ambien. I simply cannot believe how well this stuff helps. I was convinced that nothing except benzo's would work on my anxiety and severe wd's, but this REALLY helps. I'm totally relaxed, slept like a rock last night, ate dinner and breakfast, don' t hurt, and can think straight. Just want to tell this to anyone who is going through a similar situation. I promise you< it is DEFINITELY worth trying. There is hope!!! Good luck!
HI welcome to the forum.....its always great to here when someone finds a solution when there struggling ...neurontin has worked for some of our members its good to help get off benzo's im glad your sleeping thats usually a huge problem coming off them...as for switching over to sub from methadone it usually ez to get off of just make your time on it as short as possible a 90 day detox has worked for several of our members keep posting
to let us know how all this go for you long term good luck and God bless.....Gnarly