Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methadone and Xanax

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methadone and Xanax

I've been on methadone at 150mg a day and about 15 mg of xanax.  i went to detox for 21 days, i've been home 1 week and i just keep feeling sicker.  Can anyone help me before i just give up, I'm 51 and have been batteling this problem most of my life.  Is is possible for a real drug addict to get clean
Tags: xanax, methadone, Life, help, problem, drugs, help me, feeling
Hi & Welcome,

Did they taper you or did you go ct off of the meds?
Yes, a real drug addict can get and stay clean.  I am one of them.  Did they taper you off the meds?            sara
do you have a program? the only way i can stay off is by going to meetings and talking to people who understand. i've tried doing it myself so many times, never successfully. i am 47 and have been using for about 34 of those years. from crack, mda, heroin....well you get my meaning. i surround myself whenever possible now with folks who have what i want. recovery. keep posting! peace, sway
Methadone and Xanax is a potentially lethal combination, as I'm sure you know.  It's hard to know how much is too much, as we don't hear from the ones that don't make it.  My son was one of those (1 year ago, age 27), and I have some idea of what he was taking.  On one of his (survived) OD's, he took 1600 mg of methadone and I don't know how much Xanax (he often combined them).  On the one he didn't survive, I only know that he had both drugs in his system, and also had about 30 mg of Xanax in his pack.

What got him was uncertainty about dosage, a byproduct of the effort to quit, because of loss of tolerance.  From what I have read on this forum, it sounds like quitting is possible with a long taper, a lot of determination, and the help of a support group of some kind.  My son had only the middle item, and it wasn't enough, after a 3-year battle.  There's a lot of good information on this forum, and you have a good chance of making it.  You are the same age I was when I joined AA 24 years ago.  There's a lot of good stuff left to do!
HI and welcome to the forum....I detoxed off 150ml of methadone also its 226 days for me now...but it does take quite a wile to start to feel better the first 30days are brutal the energy crash can be debilitating and depending on how you went off of it the withdrawal itself can be pritty drawn out....try not to get discouraged you will get better with time
and proper nutrients a 21 day detox is only going to put you right where you are....feeling like you got ran over by a truck...at this point all you can do is damage control
look up the amino acids protacall on the right hand side of the screen get out and get some supplements they help the brain heal from years of abuse...I drink whey protein shakes you can pic it up at walmart for 15bucks and its full of vitamins and amino acids as well as protein all of witch the brain needs to heal...get out and go for a brisk walk even if its just around the block getting out in the fresh air and sun helps
you will notice improvements at 30 60 and then around 90days things  really started to come around for me...right now im comfortable in my recovery life is a beautiful place again...but it took a wile to get here.....aftercare is a must do with methadone your going to need all the help you can get so get pluged (plugged) into something N/Aor A/Ais good and its free...if thats not a good fit try a substance abuse consolor or an addiction therapist ...hang in there you can do this and in the end it is so so worth it good luck and God bless ......Gnarly