Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methadone for 3 Days

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methadone for 3 Days

I had a 5-6 month long heroin habit (0.5-1gram a day) and went into detox where I was supposed to be given a 7 day methadone detox.  The first day was 30ml, 2nd 25, 3rd 20  then i said no more meth and stopped at 20ml.  it has been 48 hours with no methadone or any opiates, and 5 days with no heroin and I've had sore muscles and teary eyes, depression, but nothing super bad.  Should I expect to get my *** kicked in the next couple days or is the worst over?
Tags: methadone
The methadone's long acting effect is making the heroine withdrawal easier. The long half life of the methadone will also slow down your total detox and it will like be longer, but doable. Your symptoms sound normal. All the methadone will be out of your system in approx 5 days. The Heroine is gone, but your brain chemistry still has to kick in. Exercise and good nutrition, mixed with time without opiates, that is your best medicine. You'll be feeling continually better within another week, but I'm not sure how much H and for how long. Metabolism and lots of things play a factor, that's why it is different for everyone. You have made the best decision, it doesn't matter how you feel now, you will never regret getting clean. Do anything, do what it takes, your life depends on it.
hi  methadone can hang around for 36hr in your system   give it a few days to where off  you will get a mild version on heroin withdrawl (withdrawal) just ride it out and dont take anny narcotic  give your brain a chance to heal  also start treating the addiction   N/A is a good place to start   keep posting for support  good luck and G od bless...............Gnarly
hey

thanks for posting

ya you both are right about the detox being doable

i kinda feel like i'm on day 4 of a heroin detox.  feel all achy and sore and slow, and **** sleep, but nothing really uncomfortable.
hey   sleepisabiggy with methadone  it seam likeit is worst then most narcotics  hang in there it dose come back with time  try some of the more common sleep aids  melatonin vlarian root  Ihave found lemon balm to work for me   keep posting for support.............Gnarly
Hi..I just wanted to give you some support..I went down to 30mgs from a 12 year ride on Methadone..I also went c/t from the adderral I was snorting with the dones..and a benzo at night to come down..I am no Spring Chic so it did take me some time..It was a whole other detox experience then coming off the hydo/oxys..I went into many different stages..They where very strange but rewarding in the long run..I sure do not want to ever go there again. I must say..If you are achy, take the Epson salt bath and go lay under a Heating Blanket..Magnz is the greatest detoxer..You need to keep Hydrating the body and Replenishing Vit/Min and Electrolyte Deficiencies..OK! Hang tight and fight the fight it will all pass as the Brain & Body heals..Try the sleep things that they suggested above..Great Job on wanting your life back..
Bless..
gnarly- thanks.  i tried the valerian root and actually passed out for 6 hours last night.  Truly a miracle

VICourageous-  thanks for the kind words and advice    much appreciated

well folks,

I'm on the start of day 5 with no opiates and am doing fine.  I've had a really sore and navy body the last while but i can feel that it gets a little less heavy every day.   last night i actually got some sleep too.   first time in  4-5 days i think.  looking forward to getting better every day
There's a good article about this...blog rather. Called getting the monkey off my back by Stephen Gaudet. It's on a website called cure talk. Google it.
how are you doing   sleep is a biggy  glad it worked for you everbody is differet hope to see you post again  keep pushing on it is so so worth it in the end  are you going to N/A OR A/A meetings yet???? recovery takes work..................................Gnarly
Alright..I am so proud of you..I can tell by reading that you have a good attitude and are very serious about your recovery..Now remember that the Journey was not meant to be walked alone,,How about checking the AA/NA meetings out?? They both can be very supportive too!!! OK..Good Work!
Bless...
WODAgirl-  thanks for the info, good blog

gnarly- no meetings yet, just drug /addictions counselling.  

VICourageous-  i'm doing addictions counselling right now instead of NA/AA.  thanks for all your help

day 5 is behind me and now I'm working on day 6 currently.  i'd say 70% of the feeling of being really heavy and lethargic is gone.  still a bit remains which makes it still a bit of a pain in the *** to get around.  my head is  getting clearer for sure though,   starting to feel almost human here.  i think a couple more days and it will be safe to say that the methadone is out of my system.  i'm glad that i stopped the methadone when i did.  still not very good sleeping, but not really expecting sleep to fix itself very fast.  a week off opiates is in my near future!!  

Ok..Very Good News..Now just remember that it is Baby Steps for a while..You might come around Physically but most have some Mental issues that come and go..Just keep your Self away from your Self if you know what I mean..I can tell you feel much happier..Ya!!!!!!
HI CONSOLING  is a great start to recovery I used it for 3yrs and still go
but I found more help at N/A meetings give them a try and truly get your life back.............................Gnarly..............................

VICourageous-  thanks for the advice and for posting.  one day at a time as they say

gnarly-  ya i had my first appointment today.  seems like it was a good decision.

so i made it through day 6 and now I'm on day 7.  getting really close to a full week off all opiates.  feeling burned out today.  no energy and feeling a bit depressed.  i'm wondering if there is still methadone in my body or not right now.  since it has been nearly a week without anything and i only took methadone for 3 days.  sleep is still crap, but don't expect it to get better really soon.  i'm still feeling physical withdrawals but it's getting weaker each day.  i'll update later

ONE WEEK

I have completed one full week of no opiates!  I have not had any heroin in 10 days and did the last dose of methadone 7 days ago.  I can feel that it's getting easier to move around now but I am still lacking energy, especially in the hours after I wake up.   My head is also clearer and I have mild depression.   On day 8 now and looking forward to completing another week clean.   Hopefully all the methadone is out of my system by now.   Hope my sleep returns soon too
HI ya your methadone free but the energy crash can take a wile to go  it ok in the beggining but gets old quick  just bear with it it will pass eventauly
keep focusing on the prize your dope free WOOHOO you can do this just keep pushing forward............Gnarly
Gnarly-good to hear you think I'm methadone free.    I will keep going.   I, know eventually this stops.  

Still going on day 8.    Forced myself to run for 30min on the treadmill just a bit ago.   Was hard to keep going but pushed through the full 30 jogging the whole time.   Made me feel pretty good after though.   Think ill try and do this each day.    I wanna kick this detoxes ***!
day 9

actually got some sleep last night!  passed out within 5 mins and slept about 7 hours, but woke up about 2 times.  still, i'm not complaining at all, the sleep was a blessing.  my head feels clear today and my achy legs and back are becoming more of an annoyance than a hinderance.  my mood feels way more positive today too, not nearly as depressed.  starting to also get some food into me also
HEY Dude  well you where only on it a few days so recovery should come quickly  a couple of weeks   dont know how the H will play out for you may take a wile longer  I abused pills for 10+yrs then methadone for 7yrs more
it took me 90 days to come around  its different for everybody  but it is what it is  you just have to accept your getting better........Gnarly
Ok There Bud..I want to get on a Jump and say Ya!!! You should have 10 days..Hey I was weak for awhile but I came off the dones with 2 other meds that pulled the nervous system up, down and all around..Ha!!! Besides My cabnit looking like the Natural food store. I did get the Rhodiola.  This is Popular among the Athletes. It provides nutritive support for healthy stamina levels and guess what I have been forgetting to take it..Gezzzz..No wonder!! No really it did help when I Was taking it daily..OK..I will read you tomorrow and it is my Birthday and I do not want to be another day older..Yak!!
Bless
vickie
gnarly-  ya I'm pretty sure all the methadone is out of my system now and what i'm feeling is residual heroin withdrawal symptoms.  every day it gets a bit easier

VICourageous-  happy b day!  i'll check that med out, i'm taking quite a few right now, magnesium, multi v, zinc, fish oil, etc.   hope you have a fun and happy b day!

DAY 10

alright, well, day 10.  into double digits today.  tried to sleep unmedicated last night and slept for about 3 hours.  so when i woke up i took a clonodine, shook my legs out and managed to pass back out for another 3 hour stint.  my body isn't nearly as sore anymore, as stated before, just really lazy and no energy.  its such a task sometimes just to get up and grab something.  have minor rls too but isn't super bothersome other than when i wake up.  i keep on focusing on making it to day 14 right now.  the first two weeks are the worst :-(

your doing great  i think your right about the H hanging around but every day is a victory keep pushing forward............Gnarly
I'm getting impatient about making it to day 14 right now.  i want to get this second week of detox done badly, but alas, i am only on day 10.  

i can sleep moderately well if i take a clonidine, and some valerian root pills.  i am just worried about the side effects of them, especially the valerian root pills.  sleeping unmedicated last night wasn't nearly as refreshing as with the clonidine and valerian root.

gonna try and get in a 30 min jog on the treadmill again this afternoon

Day 11

So it's day 11 off the junk.   Got 6-7 hours of broken sleep last night.   Still low energy.   I really have to push myself to get off the couch.   Depression is becoming milder last couple days.   Having low energy is actually more annoying right now than the ****** sleep.    Just need to get through week two and things will get much better I reckon.  
Ya!!!!! 11 days already!!! You are doing soooo Good! I am proud of you..Yes the weakness and no motivation was actually my last stage..Oh the emotion kind of come and go..But it has been much more better then ever..Just try to push your self as hard as you can..I did in my first 40 days and then fell into a Slump..Of course mine was in the winter and the Snow made it hard to get out..Each day I do more and more..It really does get better..I am just so happy..It might of took me longer then some but it is so nice to be clear headed..You just hang tight and take Baby Steps if you must..You will be taking the Giants Steps real soon...Ya!!!!!
Oh man, I remember describing how I felt, like blood was mercury and my muscles where lead. You'll have the spring in your step and will sleep like a child. You are getting closer by the minute. I had an idea of what sobriety would be like. A little disappointed at first, then my experience far surpassed my expectations. I found that focusing on being a good person was what finally made me feel good. I kept trying to feel good so I had the energy to do the right thing. Turns out the good feelings are side effects of staying clean and clear. How's your aftercare? Do you feel that you have a plan for those days, you know, one of those challenging times that we all have?
VICourageous-  thanks for posting and kind words.  it's getting easier each day, although i do have to remind myself of that lately.  i'll keep pushing forward

weaver-  i hope you are right that ill have a spring in my step soon.  i've got a pretty good councillor right now i'm seeing weekly.  i've also got friends and family i could call incase the **** starts hitting the fan.  hope I'm out of these detox doldrums soon

bout halfway through day 11.  just relaxing mostly.  i can sit around on the couch or whatever now mostly rls free.  i only notice the rls when i wake up in the morning.  i usually feel the worst after waking up and it kinda fades away into the night.  body soreness has come down a lot, but still a ***** and a half to get around, though not as intense as the first week.  I'm heading back to work next week, i hope i can handle it.  regardless it will be nice to have life returning to some sense of normalcy.  
I just pulled myself from heroin cold turkey 14 days ago today at home. I can say for ME that I was so heavy and tired until yesterday really. Day 12 I could barely walk through the mall. But that night I went to bed and soaked my sheets and cloths, I think my body was breaking the mild fever I had from the detox. Anyway I woke up day 13 and actually my legs and body felt much stronger. I was even able to take a pretty long walk with not much of a problem. Now I did have a few crashes of exhaustion yesterday as well but overall I have not felt that strength in a loooong time. So hang in there. Someone told me at a meeting that 13 was always the magic number for him. He just keep saying wait for day 13, magic will happen on day 13. Well. Seems like he was right. I'm no where near perfect but doing much much better.
Back2me-   Thanks for posting.    Ya it's nice when you can feel physically and mentally you're progressing in detox.   Yesterday some of the symptoms eased up on me.    Still have a bit to go.     I'm on day behind day 13 so I hope it is my lucky number too!

DAY 12-

I think some of these physical wd symptoms are finally fading.    Getting up stairs is certainly easier, so is just walking around.     Have I hit a milestone in my detox? I hope so.   Anyways, day12 is here and I'm feeling some relief.   Not tons but I can tell its better
DAY 13

had some friends over last night that i hadn't talked to in many months and had a great time.  had some beer and smoked a couple joints, laughed a lot, it was a really nice release from the last 2 weeks of hell.

i woke up today expecting to feel a bit rough from the last nights activities but actually felt MUCH better.   first time i've woke up in 2 weeks without feeling like ****.   energy seems MUCH better today, foggy headed feeling seems to be almost gone today.  overall, everything seems to be painted a much more positive colour today

i actually slept for 10 hours broken up yesterday.  so sleep is getting easier.  i feel much more refreshed today.

i think i can finally say that the physical part of the wd is dying off.  FINALLY!!  

i hit 14 days (2 weeks) tomorrow!  been hell getting here.  almost i can say that the worst is behind me!!!!!!!!

2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!

Officially 2 weeks off the junk folks!     What a struggle to get here!

Feeling much better overall.    After day 12 I noticed wd symptoms starting to fade really noticeably.  

Last night I got 7 hours of unmediated sleep and only noticed a minor amount of RLS when I woke up.    Yay!

My energy is much better too.   Getting around and up and down stairs isn't nearly as dreadful.    Still do have droughts during the day though.    

My body seems sensitive to greasy or really heavy foods right now.   So I'm trying to stick with fruits grains and vegetables.    

I start work tomorrow so hopefully I can make it through as pain free as possible.  

Now onto week 3!
2 Weeks Already?? Wow You are doing so good..I do not want to sound like a preaching mama bear..But please be careful with the weed & beer..It triggers the Pleasure Part of the Brain..I would not want you to play the I feel good or just one more tape back again & again..You are still young and have a great future ahead..OK!  Good Job!!! Ya!
James  your doing great  plug into aftercare and work it you have to work for recovery but it  is so so worth it once your living it keep pushing forward and good luck with work.........Gnarly
VIC-yup two weeks!  I will be careful with them.   I'm not much of a drinker but I have been using cannabis this whole detox and it has helped so much.  I will keep keeping on.  No opiates for me!

Gnarly- thanks for posting as usual.   I appreciate it!    I'm seeing a councillor once a week and have a relapse prevention group once a week so I am confident I have a good support system.  

There are lots of great ideas and suggestions on here about heroin and methadone WD by others far more qualified than me. However, allow me to be a cheer leader and say YES you are doing great, so come on here often, read a lot in here, and we are always thinking of you and your personal recovery, near or far. This group has been an amazing support and resource for me and will continue to be.

Keep moving you can do this...you already are!
Neveragainplease- thanks for the support!   I'm making it through!

Day 15

Hey folks.    Past two week mark now and on day 15.    

Got 7 hours of unmedicated sleep again last night.     I am shocked I am getting to sleep so easy! (Knock on wood).    No multiple hour struggles to get to sleep.    I am asleep within 10 min of hitting the sheets and sleep is starting to actually be refreshing.    

My energy is quite a bit better but not 100%.   The energy situation is actually more bothersome than my sleeping which I've never experienced before.    Usually sleep is the last thing to come back to me.  

I start work this afternoon and I am really nervous about getting through the shift.    I have to be on my feet the whole time so I hope I can survive.  

Will update later tonight
late night update here

made it through my shift at work relatively painless!  thought my feet and back would be killing but was actually in good spirits.  it's so nice to be back to work and talking to people and moving about.  i just got hired for second job as well so I'm really happy about that.  the new job is completely new to me and my usual forte.  i think it will be good for me.

Congrads @ james666..im also detoxing from oxy day 22 now and im finding that "working" isis the best theropy by far..
Alright James..Now when you wake up it should be 16 Right??/When are you going to set up ticker..I can not keep up with you..Hey 2 Jobs Huh?? Wow that will keep you from thinking about anything negative..Ya!!! You got it Bud I am so happy for you..and I hope you are so tired you sleep like a Rock that is if Rocks sleep..Ha!!!
Bless.
Freebandz- thanks for posting and congrats on the clean time.    

Vic-  thanks for all your support over the last while.  Working is really doing me good

21 DAYS

Three weeks off the junk today folks!  Yay!   Things have been busy lately with work so haven't had time to post.    Things are getting much better in regards to withdrawal symptoms.    My energy is improving a lot lately I can feel it getting much much better.    Physical pains are getting to be minimal.    Sleep is slowly improving too and the last two nights have actually been pretty good.     The last couple days I haven't feel gross when I wake up either.    

Starting to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!  
Right On James..You Rock!! The Grass is Greener on the other side! You keep up the good work there Bud..Ya!! Ya!!
Vic-thanks for the support!  

Day22

Past 3 weeks and moving toward the month mark now.   I noticed when I woke up today I had slept for 8 hours straight!   My energy feels much better too.   Still droughts of energy though.   Still get cold chills.   Moving along nicely though.  I can tell things are getting much better and will be even more so when I hit a month  in 8 days.   Yay! This day seemed an eternity away the first week
Make sure you let us know when you hit the 30days..Post it if you want to so we can Congratulate you..Or just hang in here..Doing Great!!
Bless.
Vic- will be posting my 30 day mark for sure.    Thanks for your continued support!

Day 25

Still going strong on the detox folks.    Getting easier and easier to get through the days now.   As far as WD symptoms go I'm still lacking a bit of energy but it is much better.    Sleep is getting close to normal again which is surprising because it's usually the last thing to come back to me.    Still have minor cold chills and skin crawling feeling infrequently.    Things are much better though and I'm close to that month milestone.  
DAY 28

two days away from a month off the junk! i have been busy working, which seems to be the norm around here now.  days go by much much faster, with no countless hours spend clock watching and feeling like ****.  my energy has improved a lot.  i wouldn't say it is back to normal but is getting closer by the day.  my sleep was pretty good last week but this week i seem to be waking up once or twice a night.  i can get to sleep easy just staying asleep is a problem.  the sleeps must be somewhat restful though because i don't feel burned out all day.  

ahhhh, two days away from a month.... that feels good to say.  :)
feels like I've almost crossed **** creek, just gonna have to paddle a bit further
awesome job buddy!!
It will get better with the energy and sleep. I was doing the same thing you were doing plus .     Hang in there and once again .....awesome !!
Great job buddy 2 more days till 30 days *WOW* proud of you!!! Show us "detoxing" how its done. You go man god bless ya :)
Hi Bud I was wondering where you have been..I was going to look for this post and go in and ask you..Ya these things will all balance out!! You are doing a great Job and I am very proud of you my Doner friend! Hey almost 30 days already..Ya!! I will have the big 8 tomorrow I almost forgot..oh well time keeps ticking and sometimes I do not think about it as much..Hope you have your ticker set up!! It does help when we get busy.Can go in a check it out anytime we want..Ha!!!
Keep on Truckin and do not look back!!!
Bless
great job on 28 days!!  you are doing it...don't look back!!  awesome!
Don't ever drop that paddle my friend. The waters get more calm, but sh!t creek has some flash floods forever. That good feeling is only the seed. It will grow and grow. Challenges change, but with every stroke of the paddle, those challenges are fertilizer of personal growth. Not everyday, but I have days that are better than anything I had even hoped for. Those bad days get a good smack with my paddle as I push forward. One stroke at a time, one day at a time, life just keeps getting more worth it. I'm so glad I lived, whether it was God or luck that saved my life, I am grateful to be able to write this post. I am grateful you are here to receive it. Just feeling grateful about anything is better than my days of use. Keep on paddling my friend, you have so much to look forward, even if you can't see it yet.

ricart70- thanks!  energy and sleep are getting better by the day!

jonboi76-  i made it to 30 days!  thanks for your post.

vic- ya i have been working TONS lately, and also feeling better so haven't been in here posting as much.  congrats on 8 thats fantastic!  thanks so much for your posts, they really helped, especially in the first couple days and weeks.

toothfarie-  thank you so much.  always forward

weaver71-  great post, and i appreciate you keeping with the **** creek metaphor hehe.  thanks for taking the time to post in this thread.  always enjoy your posts.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first month done!  wow!  when i was in the first couple weeks of this detox i just kept on thinking, "just make it a month, make it a month..."  Now it has been a full month and i do feel much much better.  the last two nights i have had GOOD and RESTFUL sleeps, and straight sleep for 8 hours too.  seems like sleep is, dare i say, normal!?  don't wanna jinx it.   energy is noticeably better too, i feel worse in the morning and the energy seems to normalize over the course of the day.  

i definitely felt the methadone withdrawal, but i think mostly what i felt symptom wise was from the 5-6 month long heroin bender.  like weaver71 said in the very first post in this thread, the methadone did make the detox easier in a sense.  it wasn't nearly as intense, but i found myself getting really depressed at the day to day melancholy feeling of just being ok.  

anyways i will keep posting updates.  thanks to everyone that posted in here and kept me busy when i was feeling like **** on a stick.  most appreciated.
40 days

been forty days folks.  still going here.  feeling pretty good.  all withdrawal symptoms have gone, with the exception of minor cold chills and this skin crawling, prickly skin kinda feeling.  it isn't anything major but it presents itself a couple times a day and fades off.  sleep seems to have corrected itself after the 30 day mark.  things are looking up!  
48 days

almost at 50 days.  haven't been around much since I've been really busy.  i can honestly say that for the past week i haven't felt any withdrawal symptoms at all.  no cold chills, skin crawling or sleep disturbances at all.  yay!!  took quite a while for those few remaining symptoms to drop off.  love my life so much better now!!
so great to hear that you are doing well!!  congrats on 48 days!!   that's so great!  life is so much better right??  way to go and keep pushing forward!  keep us updated!!  

Lisa
Alright!! I was thinking of you & wondering how things are going for you too!! Sounds like it is good to go! Wow almost the 50 mark already!! Keep up the good work..Ya!!!!!!
Bless
vickie
Congrats on 48 days! You are doing awesome. Keep fighting the good fight! :)
62 days

made it through another month!  i was meaning to update @ day 60 but didn't have time.  using opiates hasn't even been on my mind at all this last month.  I'm pretty sure all my detox symptoms dropped off sometime around day 50.  thank god!  anyways, just thought i would update and tell y'all that i am doing very well.  thanks to everyone here for always being so supportive!
ALRIGHT James! Congratulations on your Months and Days. You sound good or I guess I should say I read you.Sounds like you bounced back very successfully. Keep Stepping up those Steps and do not Fall down. This could really hurt. Och!

Bless