Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methadone for detox from hydrocodone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methadone for detox from hydrocodone?

Over 8 months ago I was prescribed 10/325 hydrocodone/apap for chronic knee pain from a snowboard injury. After a few months and tolerance building I upped my dosages from 10mg to 40mg daily.
When attempting to take days off of the drug completely I become extremely weak, have nausua, and have no energy. yada yada...withdrawel.
I may have the option to obtain methadone and was wondering if these is a safe and effective way of coming off of this opiate.
About 3 weeks ago I took 10mg methadone each day for 7 days and it really helped. I felt much more clearer than I do from the norco and was able to function without the strong buzz from the opiate or achey (achy) feeling when the hydrocodones presents has expired.
I'm interested in doing this again, however am fully aware of the consequences one would pay from the withdrawel from methadone. Is 2 weeks of 10mg safe for coming off of norco?
Any other suggestions for detox?
If you stop now you might not be too bad it has been my experience if you stop taking a real opiate for long enough for it to get out of your system while taking a synthetic like methadone. You have not had enough time to develop a bad habit on the synthetic but everyone is different so stop and see how you feel and if your sick you will have your answer...a-wakan
While10mgs of methodone may not seem or feel stronger than your norco.. it is.. Using methodone to kick a 40mgs a day hydro habit is like shooting a mouse with a elephant gun,, due to its strength and very long half life you may end up with a worse addiction than you started with..many before you have done this and ended up hooked on methodone since the wd's are alot more intense and longer than norco wd...
if i were in your shoes and was only taking 40mgs a day i would try to taper over 2 weeks or just quit cold turkey..and spend 3 days feeling like death.. I would get it over with before I played with the fire of methodone..
Using Methodone to get off Hydros....is like shooting a sparrow with a 12 guage......

Methodone is very addictive and all you will do is substitute Methodone with the Hydros.......

do into a inpatient five day detox.......they will use subutex or suboxone in a five day weaning period and your done.........
DO NOT TAKE METHADONE!  You dont need it to kick the hydro addiction.  Quiting cold turkey will make you feel like death for about a week....at least 4 weeks before any type of normalcy returns.  

If you want to limit the withdrawals I would recommend tapering over 2 months.  I wont lie to you...this wont be easy but YOU CAN DO IT!  Stay on this board...a lot of people here will help you INSTANTLY if you ask.  Also....drink lots of water...it will help.
While I agree with these folks that your intake is very low, and you could probably get by w/o needing anything to help you, I do differ on the rest of their responses.

I have used methadone several times when I was out of my lortabs/percocet. I, however, was taking way more pain pills than you, up to 250-300 mgs a day.

I get a monthly script, and always run out early...like 2-3 weeks early.

I was given some methadone, along with some advice, and it worked, for me. Having suffered through withdrawals on a monthly basis, I was in pretty bad shape. Not ready to quit my pain meds, but scared to death of any more withdrawals. Unfortunately, I wasn't scared enough to quit.

Anyway, this is what I was told to do, and what I did, with great success.

Wait until the withdrawals kick in, somewhere around the 24 hour mark. Take one 10 mg methadone pill. Take no more for at least another 24 hours, then take one more. At most, I would do this for 3 days.

Surprisingly, at times, once was enough! Never have I needed more than 3, taking one 10mg pill a day.

They do say that methadone is very addictive, and that the withdrawals are intense. I don't know as I've never been addicted to them nor suffered any withdrawals after taking them. I get no high from them, so as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to get addicted to, and no reason to continue taking them once my hydro withdrawals are over. This basically just gets me through the worst of the hydro withdrawals. After those first 3 or so days, and after you've quit the methadone, you will still be low on energy, you will still crave hydro's, and you will still have the "minor" withdrawal symptoms. But, at least in my experience, the difference is amazing! I would honestly recommend it to anyone who is trying to quit pain meds, and who can't stand the worst parts of withdrawal.

I really don't think you'd need 7. I would think one, maybe 2, would be all you'd need, but we are all different.

I can only advise you based on my experiences. Always remember that we are all different, and respond differently to our drug use/abuse.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

all of your responces has been helpful. about an hour ago I found what some sites refer to as the "thomas recipe". I couldn't understand any of the ingredients except the valium. so i took 10mg valium. It put my mind at ease, obviously, but the physical pain is still with me. I now feel drowsy but have no desire to sleep. blargh! screw that, lol
Instead of the methadone I'll probably try and taper down of the hydro. Unfortunately I have none right now and getting more has been more than difficult. I was frequenting a walk-in clinic and they said no more...they don't deal with chronic pain. bummer...what sucks the most is the thought of entering another clinic in my condition.... it could be a bit shady, me being in the condition I am. droopy eyes from no sleep.
any suggestions on getting a good night sleep. or any sleep at all?
any foods that will replenish my body with the nutrients it needs?
foods to avoid?
Please don't use methadone.  I was on 90 mg a day for several years and the detox is 100x's worse than off the opiate pills.  I am now in day 2 of withdrawal from 20 vicodin es pills per day and I won't even use valium because they are so addicting themselves.  Valium detox can cause death.  I think I remember that day 5 was better in the past.  It's been along time since I last kicked vicodin cold turkey but I am determined to do this.  
Dont use methadone!! Plz talk to me.Thats exact way it happened too me! RLJ
Last night I slept a couple of hours because I took 3 flexeril and 4 benydryl.  I'm not sure about tonight because I feel so much worse today.  I have a full time job and took today off.  It's a miracle that I still have a job because obtaining vicodin or percocet was another full time job.  They were my lover, my best friend, and my worse enemy.  When I was taking them I felt on top of the world, now I feel so depressed and dope sick I could scream.  

I feel like drinking a bottle of Nyquil to sleep right now.  This really sucks!
I forgot to add that my doctor had given me Lunesta sleeping pills and I've never had to use them yet. The tea really works!!!!!
***For 2 months I took 20mg a day. Next 2 months it was 30mg. Next 2 months it was 50mg. Last 2 months it was 70mg.***it is amazing in the amount of shame I feel with explaining things in an appropriate setting. I lied to myself and everyone in my first comment by saying I took only 40mg. Drugs are so deceitful. Can't wait for September. I should be off and back on track.

2 nights ago--what is very interesting about your suggestion on the tea is that is "exactly" the same product I used attempting to get some sleep through which turned out to be one of the worst nights of my life. Having 2 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours I drake one cup of the nighty night. very soothing stuff. However left me feeling exausted, good at first but no sleep. I lay awake tossing and staring at my girlfriend hoping she might be able to help me. Nothing.
I didn't sleep until 11:30am the next day. It was strainful on my body but mostly on my mind and thoughts.
Last night I took one valium(10mg) @6pm and one xanax(.5mg) @2am and just woke up. It felt good to actually get some sleep.

For sleep try this herbal tea called "Nighty Night" by Traditional Medicinals. It's helped me tremendously with w/d from hydrocodone. You have to make the tea in a cup, cover the top for about 15 minutes, then drink.
2 cups would put me to sleep for a good 8 hours. When before I couldn't even settle down to lay down (rapid heartbeat and panicky feeling)
Hope this helps:)
Thank you all for the insight you share.Unless you've experienced
the struggle turmoil,it isdifficult to know what todo.
And thesuffering involved.
I have been struggling with opiates.
Don't have themoney to go to a program.
And am a single Mom of a young boy.He isamazing.
I am very ashamed .
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mya
This is a very old post. you need to post your own question. Go to top of page and hit "poat a question" and start your own question. you will get more people to respond..
most people will not take the time to read such an old post...

Everyone here is going through or has been through what you are...
I will be looking for your own post...

LadyBoop
My wifevhas been on hydrocodone for the past at least 10 years she takes anywhere from 8 to 10 pills per day, he also started her on methadone along with the hydrocodone and she takes 1 to 2 or 3 per day also, I have noticed thatvshe is very mean to me when on the methadone. What can I do? ____Mark
This is a very old thread.  Go back to main forum and search for living with an addict...start a new question.  You'll get lots of help there.