Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methadone headaches

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methadone headaches

I was wondering if anyone has every suffered from Methadone headaches when the wake up in the morning. Like a horrific, horrible headache, to the point of not being able to stand or lay down, just sit straight up until the next pill kicks in. If so, have you figured out what the cause its? Too much, too little, adverse reaction or what? I'm taking it for headaches (ironically) in which all other opiates failed to relieve the pain.
Thanks for you time, I've been looking and asking everyone with no answers.
karen how much do you take? sometimes too much can cause your body to become too toxic . But if you have problems with headaches it could be that ..? a-wakan
You say you are taking the methadon for your headaches.  Why are you thinking the cause of your headaches is the methadone?  Doesn't seem to makes sense, especially since the headaches go away after the "next pill kicks in."  

Try this...get up an hour or two before your usual time and take your hit then.  That way it will have already taken effect when you get up for the day.

At your side,
Rider
Hey, hope your well.  I've been on methadone for the last five years.  I have to agree with Oneofus, because I've never experinced anything like that.
In saying so everyones experience can be different.  The first year I was on it I had a super harsh pain in my legs.  I was only 27 so I'm not sure where they came from, and I had never had them before.  anyway it's one thing that seems common among methadone maintance takers.  I had  never had any pain like that before so I think it was from the meth but who knows?

take care, Robin
Thank you so much for your responses. I stopped taking one before I go to bed and getting up earlier and so far its been helpful. I am taking about only about 20mg per day and whats weird is it doesn't even show up on my tox screens. I've also recognized my joints aching alot, you never know what the side effects are going to be.
joint pain while taking methodone is really common side effect... just FYI
I've never felt a more warming opiate blanket like I do after waking up from taking methadone the day before. The only thing I ever feel is an extreme goodness all over. Its not like a high, less than that, for sure. But never any headaches. I agree with Oneofus because if by taking your dose is making the headache go away it sounds like once the drug has worn down the headaches just simply return.