Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Methocarbamol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Methocarbamol

What is this?  And how many can you take?
My doc. gave it to me for the pain.  
Methocarbamol is a muscle relaxant that exerts its effect by acting on the central nervous system (ie the nerves that control the muscles) rather than on the muscles themselves.  Methocarbamol can be used in any condition where painful muscle spasms should be reduced for patient comfort.  Follow your doctor's instructions on your dosage.
It says on the bottle to take 1 twice a day.  I've already taken 4 and i want to take more.  My back is in so much pain.  
Hi this is the first time anyone has ever brought up the drug methocarbamol. It is the generic for robaxin. I take it. As the above poster said it is a muscle relaxant. I am prescribed to take 1 4 times a day. They do not work as well as flexeril in my opinion though. I hardly felt any relief when taking the methocarbomol. I have a couple of times taken more than 4 a day, and it did not make me sick, although I would not reccommend taking a huge amount of them because I dont know if they are addicting or not. I suppose if you abuse any certain drug it could be addicting though, no matter what it is.
is methocarbamol addictive?
soma....and yes it can be
I took it initally when I broke my rib and it really didn't help. I do not believe its addictive. But I guess depending on how you use it, anything can be.
soma is the muscle relaxant that converts into "meprobromate"
I dont know if I ever disagreed with you - but soma is carisprodol........
Methocarbamol is not Soma... I was taking Methocarb. for pain a while back. Its not very effective, no its not addictive.

Soma is metabolized into meprobamate, which sounds similar to methocarbamol which is probably the source of confusion
Methocarbamol is one of the chemical ancestors that led to the development of meprobamate and later Soma/carisoprodol.  So although they are distinctly different drugs, there is a chemical relationship among them - sort of first cousin once removed.

Methocarbamol (Robaxin, Robaxacet, Robaxisal etc.) definitely has abuse & addiction potential, as I know from personal experience and anecdotal reports.  However, its addiction risk is much lower than the other two, partly because it has less euphoric effect, and partly because large doses are required to trigger addiction. Adhering to package dose limits is probably safe for most addicts in recovery, except perhaps those previously addicted to Soma or meprobamate - there is crossover tolerance. But the usual caution applies -- "your mileage may vary", you might be the exception for whom Robaxin is a relapse trigger waiting to be pulled.  
P.S. To answer the original question, "how many can you take?", methocarbamol has a high safety margin and a wide dosage range in clinical use.  Up to 9 gm/day (12 Robaxin-750) can be taken for acute muscle spasm, and 2-3 times as much is sometimes used for acute tetanus, but these are clinical/hospital doses, not for self-medicating. In home use, stick with the package instructions!  It does have a very short half-life (1-2 hours), so smaller doses more frequently may be more effective.
again this post is 2 years old the members are no longer here If you want to make a NEW thread about muscle relaxers instead of pulling up numerous old posts I would suggest you do that .
hi

Im on robaxin i have pains in my lower back, my muscles in my legs and my ankles also
My GP gave me robaxin 750 2 pills 4 times a day i found they helped a little bit but not a great deal, so my GP gave me gabapentin 300mg 2 pills 3 times a day along with the robaxin the two together are fantastic, it took me a few weeks to get used to the light headed ness i got from mixing the two drugs, and now im also on naproxen 250 mg 1 pill 4 times a day and omeprazole 20mg 1 pill a day to help with any side effects from naproxen,
although that is 19 pills i take a day my GP has got the pills and doses just right for me, although im still under investigation to find out exactly what is wrong with me these pills are helping, i do believe id be lost with out them, and i was very depressed before taking all these pills but now im a happy chappy most days and i do believe its down to the pills, and i must admit im scared of the day my GP stops giving them to me