Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Mixing Methadone and Oxy.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Mixing Methadone and Oxy.

I have always been an advocate for methadone.  Methadone is what got me sober.  However, I lost a friend this weekend after he mixed methadone and Oxy.  It had turned my world inside out as I know he didn't take much of either.  Plus he wasn't even ADDICTED to oxy, he just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.. How much of each is needed to create an overdose??? This has been awful.
Tags: Addiction
sorry to hear of the loss of your friend... i really am, it hurts my heart everytime one of us dies from drugs.

i imagine two central nervous system depressants can and will kill you. i OD'd in december from heroin and alcohol. just lucky to be sitting here, at a new job, hanging out online and ALIVE.

this **** does kill us... when i am clean and i think about the risks i have taken with my life and how many times i have cheated death it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck... but when using it just seems to make perfect sense... go figure...

peace,

amber
I am sorry to hear of your loss as well.  Being an oxy addict would have been to your friend's benefit.  It just seems he didn't have the tolerance to be doing that.  Methadone is a very dangerous drug to those who are opioid naive.  It will shut the store very quickly for someone who is not used to it or another potent agonist.  That and oxycodone makes for a serious punch for the non-initiated.  I am going on the assumption your friend wasn't physically dependent, of course.  Again, I am very sorry for your loss.  Life would be good if I never hear of anything like it again.  I just know that isn't going to happen.
sorry to hear of your loss, my prayers are with you.
I  lost my younger  brother to an deadly mix of drugs,
He was taking xanax and some one spiked his beer with heroin.
so just a reminder to all here at the fourm
XANAX AND HEROIN is a very deadly mix.
i think it is a very important topic, to mention
any type of mixtures of drugs that kill.
i did not know that oxy and methodone is a deadly mix.
i have teenage neice who is now on methadone  becuase of a nasty  oxy addiction, i will warn her of the dangers of
taking her methadone and mixing it with her drug of choice,
which could easly happen to her , i could just see her hanging
with her freinds on a friday night and someone giving her an oxy
.she is 19 and has been on the methadone for 2 months now.
peace !!!!!!!hippy   thanx this information could wind up saving her life.
I'm sorry to break in here! I've tried to post for 3 days now.I'm new here.. but it looks like some of you have tryed to quit many times like me. My question is..do you think it's right to relocate to get clean? I have one child and a great husband. I've tried to get off Lortabs for 3 years now.I do not shop DR's or go to ER for meds. The longest time I ever had to go off was 3 days. I came clean with my family and thought about relocation for the summer to get away from the people I buy from.I've never been the type just to walk up to someone asking for stuff. My problem began when my brother gave me some for a headach. That was it I loved them!! Now we both know the same pep's here and I can get them usually any day. I wonder if leaving town until I get strong enough would help. Any thoughts would be great. Or am I being selfish to leave? My plans was to go alone to get past the first week of WD's then bring my Husband and daughter down. Please help.
Methadone and oxy isn't a deadly mix in as far as interactions go.  Basically, it sounds as if the person overdosed.  Methadone in itself is very dangerous for anyone who is not used to it or opioids in general.  It is a very strong opioid.  I know of a couple people who take methadone for pain and the oxy on top of it as a breakthrough med.  Even though it is like someone peeing in the wind for them to be taking oxy on top of methadone, they do anyway.  The one person I know is taking a huge dose of oxy to compensate for the methadone blockade. I don't want to see anyone getting needlessly scared.  What happened here is plain misuse.
hey  there, my name is michael/ hippy,
your idea to get clean is a good one.
anyway you can get clean , off the pills is a good one.
change your phone number, change your cell number.
look up the thomas's receip here at the fourm to help
with the cold turkey withdrawls, it helps more then
i can say. it helped me get off the pills.
the biggest problems were the severe depression, restless
leg and body, lack of sleep, lack of energy.
the receip helped tremendosuly with these side effects.
the receipe  is.
l-tyrosine 500mg 8 a day in the morning week 1, 3 or 4 a day weeks following.
b-6 100mg 2 a day
calsium-magnisum
a strong multi vitamine.
vitamines  A-- C   AND E
phosphours-zinc- copper.
imodium (immodium) for the runs and shits week 1
valume or xanax for sleep weel 1- taper off it as the week go's
gatoraide early in the day for lost electrolites
plenty of water. and bannas(patasuim) for restless leg.
lots of hot baths for the restless leg and body. the more the better, especally at night.
the l-tyrosine may cause jitter;s but it acts like a buffer
with all the pain from withdrawl (withdrawal).
the 1st 5 days are the hardest, after that it get easier as
each day go's by,
week 2 time to start an exersize program. the more the better.
5htp helps with depression, and 4 of them help with sleep.

good luck, and post any questions, try to have a computer near by during the detox so you can keep in touch.

peace HIPPY
So sry, like amber said, to hear of a death of one of us. So scary

Hippee, what is 5htp?

rwc
Omg.. talk about sinchronicity!  I have a dear friend who last night told me... in a confused, out of it state.. that  they were using meth and crushing oxy's and using another narcotic.  They denied they could die from this behavior.  they say they have such a high tolerance and are too strong and mean to die.  ( this person has a golden heart.. not mean).  They did not want to hear that this consequence is real and frequent and the effect this suicidal behavior, if continued into death, would have on their young child and spouse.
Plz pray for this individual that somehow God can reach them in their total denial.. before it is too late!
Love,
Suzie
hey , rodewc
5htp is a mineral or vitamin
it helps with depression, and if you take 4 of them it helps
pretty good with sleep.
you can look it up. i was told about it here at the fourm,
some people swear by it.
i used it when i was in week 5 of cold turkey to help with
depression, it helped, i took 1 a day for a few weeks.
my wife took it for sleep ,4 of them at night  and she had
good results. she suffers from chronic restless leg.

peace!!!!!hippy
I think the person Mike is referring to is me. I am prescribed
100mg's of methadone aday and 120mg's of roxicodone every six hours for breakthrough for moderate to severe pain. I take this everyday and go to the Pain Center every two months to get checked out. If this was dangerous I don't think the Dr.s would
prescribe it to me in this way. I to sadly believe it was an overdose.
Did you not find it hard to stay away from the source? I guess I'm a weak person. Everytime I try to stop I feel very crappy as I'm sure that is normal. The leg thing at night is the worst! I just thought if I could get away from the people who I get them from it would be much easier. I could change my numbers but it's easy to drive to thier house myself. I was offered a summer job and it is on the beach at Paudre Island TX. I do not work now and find I have wayyy to much time to think. Most of this happened out of bordom. I know you can't run away from your problems but it helped me before.15 years ago I was on crank and I went to rehab for a month and never touched it again. I had enough time to clear my head before I was back around the same neiborhood where I bought it. i DO NOT WANT TO GO TO REHAB AND LET MY DAUGHTER SEE ME THERE. Maybe I just want someone to say it's ok? My husband works for his father so he can come back at anytime for work. It's my family I will miss.
IT HAS TO BE TRUE, THAT THERE IS A TIME TO BE BORN, AND A TIME TO DIE FOR EACH OF US. AND GOD ONLY KNOWS THAT ANSWER. (OR A LOT OF US WOULD BE GONE!!!)Anyone want to comment on that? "BOOMER" (smiles)It's true! PS-I am truley sorry about the death of your friend.(prayers)
Sorry to bust in on the thread here, but I have a question. What exactly is the differnce between Ultram and something like Hydrocodone? I see that they are both opiate agonists, but how do they differ? I have an addiction problem with hydrocodone. Does Ultram get you "high?" I promise I am NOT asking this in the hopes to get high. I am in fact trying very hard to stay clean. The reason I ask is I suffer from legitimate pain, very bad TMJ. Advil, tylenol, moist heat, etc do not work when the pain is over about a 7. Hydrocodone does. I was wondering if taking Ultram might be a better idea, or not. Wanted to ask here first before talking to my doctor (who knows I am an opiate addict btw). Thanks
And I too give you my condolences, Rick, on the loss of your friend.
WEll now my dear friend is revealing more that they are using heroin and meth plus another pain narcotic med and crushing oxy's...All i  can do is pray and reach out to them in love. It is never hopeless.  Maybe if we all pray it may help. This dear person does come here and read...
Love,
Suz
Ultramm doesn't work very well for pain and doesn't give you that good feeling that Hydro gives, It did give me energy if I took enough but after a short while it makes you grouchy then after tolerance begins I found my self taking more then It would make me sleepy it is still addictive and w/d for me was just as bad as taking hydro at 20 a day. That was my experiance I guess every w/d is different.
I have a ques. I have been going through vic w/d for 13 days and the last 2 I took norco for pain only and as perscribed, I pain is better today and I stopped the pills, Will I go through w/d again? or does it differ with each person,  Thanks TER
It isn't any safer for an opiate addict to take Ultram.  Actually, in the literature for Ultram, its use by opiate addicts is contraindicated.  Many docs will readily prescribe Ultram for the single reason of it not being a controlled substance.  It has nothing to do with its safety.  In my opinion, you would be better taking something more effective than Ultram or tramadol if you need to take something for pain.  You will have less problems in the long run.
Gofor - Anything you can do to put distance between you and the drugs is good. Get away from them until you are stronger. If you don't have access to them, obviously it is harder to use. Get past the first awful days/weeks and take things one step at a time. Distance definitely helps.

Squirrel - I had my first seizure on Ultram, and was taking no more than prescribed. It's a dangerous med, as are many. I've had more since then and truly believe this I had a latent tendency toward them that was "triggered" by the Ultram. It is one of its "rare" side effects but really screwed me up. Be safe.
Suz, You are such a dear! After everything that you have gone thru you make time to worry about others! Remember that you have to take care of yourself. You have a beautiful daughter and a wonderful family. You are such a caring, loving and selfless person and you are such an asset to these forums!***** Rick, it is very hard to lose a friend or loved one, to drugs! I also send my condolences.....Love, hugs, friends,, afriend,,,,,,,
I have been taking 5htp for a while now and right away I noticed an increase sexual desire.  I am not kidding around here the stuff is great!  My husband calls it the female vigria does this happen to guys too?  Hippy maybe you could help me as I am totally serious and have wondered about it.  Thanks Pammy
I noticed that too when I was on 5htp. Wierd, 'cause it increases seratonin, and that ususally decreases libido.

I'm on prozac now, and that just about kills libido, but at least I don't want to die! lol

Watch your language Girl! (sorry, Woman)!
And you're just NOW getting around to telling me this???? LOL  Peazy
Peazy, do not take that stuff! I am begging, NO! It wouldn't be good for you I promise! JK
It's a scary thought, ain't it??!!!!    LOL   Peazy
I know you well don't I? I better stop at that before I get us both in trouble!  K?
Hey, don't hold anything I said last night against me. Well now that I thinkaboutit you can hold 'it' against me anythime, sorry!
Hey--that's NOT what you said last night......!!!!!  LOL  Of COURSE I am KIDDING......;-0
I happen to know you say that to ALL  women.....So, think of something different for me........:-) Dare ya, dare ya.......
OK here's one I never use:   wanna ****?
Sure, I LOVE kissing.......:-)
KISSING?
Who was talking about kissing. I ain't got time for all of that, now **** ****>
Tomorrow on TEEN TALK, we'll begin discussing puberty and "furry regions".
This show has been brought to you by Clearasil!  Pimples GONE in two days!
Till tomorrow, I'm your host Slim Shady saying, Use a shield!  It CAN happen to you!
You'd the man, man!
Man... this place is Hoppin'!  Unfortunately, some of the threads are still a little Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Have a good one!
Pentagram, Pentagram, goatshead, blood...yadda yadda,
Methman
You know these idiots that worship Satan are sad pieces of **** you know. All lost and trying to make everyone else stupid like they are. Hey Satan ooooooooooooowwww Im scared........
Bring your lunch dude, You don't scare me a bit,now under my feet.
See how easy that is! Just say be gone and he is! poof just like the 'Rapture" poof..........LOL
Uh---You guys care if we get back to the "wanna **** part???  LOL   C'mon!!  Concentrate here!! Peazy
OK I am all yours. Do what you will just save alittle for me.
Hugs and Kisses............................wanna ****?
Well by all means, you little devil you.
Those words will come back to haunt you, Doll.....LOL                  Uh   HUH!!!!!
Haunt me, I don't think so Doll! You still haven't answered my question. Wanna email me the answer? See ya Babe! LOL
Are you guys down hear being naughty??!!!Now!Now!!  Jerri
Me naughty, no way. Haven't you heard I don't like girls LOL
OH YEAH RIGHT............
Yes Jerri I was flirting with Peazmeister, she likes it too!LOL
See ya Jerri2 and tell us how its going today  peace,  Bill
I feel like I got hit by a mac truck in my upper body!I dont get the rls so thats good I guess from what I've read!I'm on day 2 and hopefully dont give in again!What a ride and we know what its like each time but do it anyway!!!How you doing today?? Jerri
Hey bmac - you're NOT allowed to be naughty...(at least unless you include me!)...don't worry, peazy will share...smile.
HI JERRI!!! LOVE YOU!   Lisabet
Yo Girl!!    Of COURSE I will share----Billy's a bassplayer, after-all.........that's the name of the game!!    As long as you know he's a naughty lech, you're all right.....;-)         But I go FIRST......LOL   Love, Peazy
Well, Doll, until all the **** blows over up top, ya wanna just hang out down here w/ me, Daddy??  LOL  By the way, I DID email you my answer........:-)  Love Peazy-Pie
Awwwww, peazy...."sloppy seconds".......again?  Damn!  heh-heh

How you doing, sweet peazy girl?  Always read your posts, and always glad to see you on here doing your "thang"...smile.

Have a good day and a great weekend.  Love ya, Lisabet  :)
Hey Lis!!!!
Haven't talked in a while.....every time i go to tag on a thread, its "truncated" with non-constructive stuff.

Are you still hangin around 4 vikes/dy??

I think you intimated a summer detox(??); and i just wanted to remind you, the other mangy dog is here for ya.....if you require.
Definately NOT one to push anything on you, but we could taper you down to zero and end up with a August 19th first clean day(my "rebirth" day)....That'd be pretty cool....two dogs on the same day,  Or hell if you wanted, we could make it July 19th, or now, or whatever the hell you want.................you get the idea, i just am thinking about cha!!!

Peazy, should we try the monday monday again??
RIP DJ AM I didnt listen to his scratches/music but he tryd to make a defference in his community with intervertions RiP

i know this perticular forum is for the info of methdones and oxy, and as described by another member it was a overdose, they could not handle it, 40 mg dones were ttaken off the market also taken with xanax is deadly no matter your tolerence.  The thing is all the talk about hydro u will soon be on twice the amount or looking for herion and loosin ur jobs, i believe cancer patients should be the only people prescribe regularly, if you dont have cancer you dont care, unless after all said and done(the relaxation fun happyness then the horible WDs) u enjoid urself  iam 25 and have had a late start in life becasue addiction,  IAM TRULY SORRY FOR THE ONES THAT TAKE THE PILL TO MAYBE HAVE FUN AND WITH SO MUCH ON THE MARKET ALMOST ANYTHING CAN BE DEADLY,,Iam truly sorry for you loss.

one last thing i take around 10 pills a day of oc every  a t  my werst time, yes that is abuse, to add to my prob but if i have to use it to save 1 life lock me up.neways its worth it to me....  1 10mg methadone would take the place if i didnt have any thing so to put in perspective to people who need to know its like takin 10 30mg or 40mg  OC pills very dangerous,  
I love everyone on this forum cause addiction hurts and it maybe ur first approch to getting clean and enjoi peace

RIP DJ AM
This is an old thread you may get thru to more people if you post your response on a new thread of your own.  A lot of people will not even read this because it is old.
Lisa
Jacksonville,FL
I am prescribed 75mg of oxycodone (not oxycontin so its not time release) every month, tho, those 2.5 30mg pills/day don't last. It has gotten worse with the loss of my mother a few months back. This month I find myself 18 days from my refill with 24 pills left. I used to b ok on one a day til I herniated a disc. Now, about 3 control the pain, but sometimes I take up to 7. Anyway, hubby has ten 20mg methadone tablets. I'm wondering if I can take one roxy when I wake up and a methadone in the afternoon. Will it work or do the drugs cancel each other out? Last thing I wanna do is waste any meds. I really need to get my poop together. Every month hubby gets frustrated, and now that my father has given me access to his money I've been spending a lot after I run out of oxys. I cannot keep buying 500/month of norco anymore. I want to make the month without spending one dime and I know I can with these meds but what's the best way to use what I have for max pain mgmt and to avoid withdrawals? If I can I wanna wait 3 xtra days to go to doc cause instead of going the fri before, 2 days early, I can do the mon which is a day late and which the doc would prefer. Ty in advance for the advice.
hey goforyourdreams, I am not sure if this will help but here is my story. I was physically and mentally dependant on morphine a couple of years ago. I was surrounded by the drug in my hometown and had easy access. I had to go to college oneday and could only take a couple of morphine 60mgs with me. I knew I was going to be in trouble but I broke the pills down into little pieces and just kept lowering my dose until I took about an 8th of a 60mg pill one day. After that day there was some mild withdraw but nothing like trying to quit cold turkey. This whole process took me between 4-6 weeks and I was clean from narcotics. Unfortunately when I went back to hometown I could not resist the temptation of going back to that feeling and I'm back to where I started. But, I do not have a family to support or anything. Maybe if you use for family for motivation you can have the willpower to stay clean. Hope this helps. Good luck.
To answer original question. I take about 2 40mgs OC's per day to get high and then take about 2 10mg methadones at night while I work to control the withdraw symptoms caused by the OC's. I sometimes get chest pains when I take the methadone and wondered if combining the drugs was putting a lot of stress on my heart. I'm relieved that these two drugs mixed together do not have a reputation for being deadly. But I would still be careful because I am just a recreational user and these chest pains have to be a sign of something. FYI I was taking narcotics long before I started using this combination on a daily basis.
AFTER HEARING MIXING OXYCODE WITH METHODONE I'M SHOCKED CUZ A FRIEND OF MINE WAS GIVEN A SCRIPT FOR BOTH. WHY WOULD A DOCTOR DO THIS?
I HAVE TO SAY MY BROTHER DIED NOV 3RD FROM A MIXED OVERDOSE OF 3 METHADONES AND 2 OXI 80S HE WENT INTO RESPIRATORY FAILURE IN HIS SLEEP ALL VITAL ORGANS SHUT DOWN BRAINS SWELLED AND TURNED TO MUSH
im not sure how long ago you posted your question about ultram but i do know the answer to that. Ultram is actualy not an opiat drug it acts as one though. It would be much better to take than hydrocodone or any other pain med for that matter. I was on them for a long time and they helped me a lot with my cronic (chronic) pain and this was after being an addict for over ten years. I took very strong medications like methadone and oxycotin, fentynol, opana, about anything an everything you could think of an ultra actualy still worked for me after taking all those other opiate drugs. good luck. I am also very sorry for the loss of the persons friend who started this post. my prayers are with all of you. god bless.