Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
More drugs???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

More drugs???

Hi all so I am 17 days clean!!  But I have been seeing a doctor and today I told him that I CRAVE the pills everyday.  And it is true.  It's not all I can think about but if I had them I think I would take them.  Especially after my horrible week on Effexor.  I stopped the Effexor and now he wants to put me on a drug that will help with my cravings.  I can't remember the name.  It starts with an N.  He said it wasn't Methadone and it wasn't addictive like it.  My question is should I really take more drugs??  I dropped the script off to get filled if anybody knows the name and has any experiance with it I would love to hear it.  I will update the post with the name when I get it. Thanks everyone!!!!
Hi Looking.
I don't know what it could be. Did he have any comments about another antidepressant that would not make you wired?
~Lindsay
PS: See we told you, you'd get through that awful night... (been there, smoked that...)
Yes he gave me wellbutrin but I am going to start it next week.  I need a break to see how I feel.  Yeah that was the worst night!!! thanks for helping.  It made a huge difference!!
Seriously, I can relate. Wellbutrin can make you kinda speedy, too. Just may want to take it in the a.m. so you can work it off. I know that baby of you will put you to work!  ;)
was it  neurontin?
Is it Naltrexone?
Naltrxone is the name...Thanks Kleen.  Anybody know it???  I don't want to trade one pill for another.  But my cravings are feirce.  Like I said if I had them I would take them with out even thinking about it!!!!
I thought naltrxone just blocked the effects of opiates not help with the cravings.Please if I'm wrong someone correct me.Keep goin 17days is awsome u r my hero.Good luck and God Bless
I definitely wouldn't worry about becoming dependent on it.  Naltrexone is an opioid receptor antagonist commonly used to treat both alcohol and opioid dependency and it definitely removes all temptation to use again since I have known people to become very ill during the unlikely event of a relapse.  I'm not familiar with it as an outpatient treatment but it was protocol for heroin overdose when I was a paramedic several years back.

Just be very careful with this medication by keeping even social drinking to a bare minimun.

Congratulations on your decision and progress!!

Unfortunately Naltrexone wont stop the cravings, so you'll still need to be prepared to handle those.

What it does do is block your opiate receptors, so that if you did use opiates again, they wouldn't have any effect on you.

Take care
So I don't have any pills and don't plan on getting them.  It's too much of a risk so maybe I shouldn't take the new meds.  I think I will start by going to an NA meeting.  I am getting a sitter once a week so I can go.  
I think NA could be really helpful in helping you learn to deal with these cravings and supporting you through them.

Otherwise, just remind yourself each time that cravings don't last long (15 mins or so), so try and find a good distraction- a short walk or phoning a friend maybe.

Take care
Naltrexone is an opiate antagonist- Like the others have posted, all it will do is block your receptors so that if you relapse, you will not get any effect out of your meds at all.  Contrary to popular belief, taking opiates or alcohol while on Naltrexone (Also called Revia) will not get you sick- you just get no benefit from taking either.

Many get Naltrexone confused with Antabuse (Disulfuram) which is an old school drug used to treat alcoholism.  Drinking while on Antabuse causes a nasty reaction, and will have you damn near projectile vomiting!

I was on Naltrexone for a few months, and of course I tested the theory- I got nothing out of using.  The problem with Naltrexone is compliance.  For it to do its job you must take it every day.  This creates a new routine of still taking a pill every day. For me this just didnt work well.

Naltrexone also can cause liver issues and requires a pretreatment liver panel as well as regular liver checks while in treatment.  Most of us pill heads already are at risk for liver issues due to the APAP in a lot of our pills.

There are pros and cons to this option, but its not for everyone.  

Good luck!
Henry
lol. projectilevomiting. the things we do to ourselve, huh?