Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Morphine Withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Morphine Withdrawal

Have been taking 25mg about every other day for about 1 month. What kind of withdrawals and for how long am I going to have them and how to lessen them. Aloha,Wildog
   Aloha all, I forgot to add that I went off the morphine once before and on the third day after I started having WD's and took some more morphine, wish I would have just stayed off and would probably be OK by now. Aloha,Wildog
Aloha, wildog :)

Please, read the Thomas recipe and the Amino acid protocol on the health pages ( bottom right side of your screen ) where you can find some advices to make those wd's more tolerable...

good luck and stay here and let us know how are you doing , ok ?
how long w/d's last really varies from person to person. morphine was the 1st drug i ever got w/d's from back in 77. back then it was just a couple of days. now at this age, it would be more like 10 days. maybe more. laurel's advice is just what you need. good luck. let us know how you make out. peace, sway
What were you on the morphine for and who was prescribing it?  They should be able to help you get off it if you don't want to go c/t, though a lot of people seem to be successful at going c/t.
   Aloha Mellie, I was taking the morphine for an injury to my foot that was extremely painful. The doctor gave me vicodin but it didn't even hardly touch the pain and a friend gave me the morphine. I am 62 and had major cancer surgery twice dut ot cancer of the tonsils and they had me really out there on morphine. But the also were able to wean me with out any WD's so I figured I may be able to do the same on my own especially since I have been taking way less than they had me on. Yesterday I took about 20mg's and have been using less and less every other day hoping to avoid any major WD's. Is it possible to do it this way? Aloha,Wildog
I don't know much about tapering and less about how to taper, but if it was prescribed originally by a doctor, can't he help you taper off?
    Aloha mellie4, That is the problem,it was not prescribed by a doctor, a friend just offered it to me since I had told him the vicodin wasn't helping. I told the doctor that I had taken some morphine but not how much and he just told me not to because I might overdose. But I knew that the smaller amounts I was taking would not lead to an overdose but didn't think I had taken enough to get WD's when I stopped. Probably should have looked into morphine first but the pain was the main thing on my mind. Have about 4-100 mg's left and was going to use that to wean myself by taking smaller doses and waiting longer between doses.I have read that by doing this I will cut down the severity of the WD's. Aloha,Wildog
Good luck.  Maybe there's someone here who can advise you on that.  Sorry, but I have no knowledge of morphine.
   Aloha sway, I am 61 years old andam wondering how age affects the amount of time that it takes to withdrawal from the morphine.Aloha,Wildog
    Aloha To all who were kind enough to answer my question on withdrawal from morphine, I want to thank you for your help. I have gotten some help from an acupuncture doctor and with his help I was able to not have any withdrawal symptoms at all. This is something any one ging through drug withrawals should consider since it is painless and works.Aloha,Wildog