Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Morphine vs Percocet

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Morphine vs Percocet

I take morphine (avinza) 60 mg and percocet 10/325. I don't have insurance right now so I can't afford both scripts at the same time. When I take the percocet, it releives all my pain and allows my body to relax, but when I take the morphine it feels like it does nothing. I still have pain, stiffness, etc. I thought morphine was stronger than percocet, so why doesn't it work?

Thank you,
I'm not positive but I think that you build up a tolerance to morphine faster. Maybe you could just stop the morphine all together and just use the percocet. Morphine is more addictive and harder to wd from. Good luck. Corey
its does not give you as much pain relief or it does not get you as high ? I would spend some time thinking about that .morphine is alot stonger then 10 mg perk but morphine does not cause a high for alot of people .Less people tend to abuse it belive it or not
It is not about the high...it is about still having pain, pain that I don't have when I take percocet. So I was just asking about this because I thought morphine was stronger (which is what you are telling me), so why do I still have pain with morphine, but not with percocet? I understand that this is an abuse forum, and everything seems to lean toward people searching for the high (which I have never denied), but sometimes people do have questions that have nothing to do with getting high, or lying to get more pills but that is where most tend to go.
bluespence most of us are trying to get off of drugs these meds .Questions about how well some drugs work are probably better suited for the pain mangment forum ...Have ya checked that out .
avisg, i understand that, but I have learned a lot on this forum, formed some friends and want to discuss things with people that I have gotten to know. I undersstand why you don't want people asking questions about getting high or stealing pills, but why would you discriminate against anyone who has a legit question. I have seen this a lot when people ask questions that may not fit in this category ignore the question or tell them to go away to another forum...why??? Since most people on this site have used all sorts of drugs who better to ask...besides this forum has the most traffic and people get answers quickly...I guess I just feel like if you don'tlike the question than ignore it, but why tell someone to go away!
I am not telling you to go away. For addictions question feel free to post here all you want. That is more of a pain mangement question . no one ones telling you not to be here . Just some  questions are just better suited for other forums.That is there specialty over there
i am afraid ppl here cant tell you why morphine dont work for you but percs do.  but ppl here support you here if you decided to get off both...thats what we do.  on the pain management forum they deal more with ppl who decide to or need to continue their pill for whatever reason.  avisg was not saying you need to leave, just that that particular question would better be answered by them.
I don't think it easy to get off any of them.I have been on O/C 40 er. I have been taking them for 2 years (not chewing or snorting) My company just got bought out and my ins want pay for it but they will pay to putt me on Morphine Sulfate 60 ER. I really don't want to  change and i'm scared to death. Wish i could just stop. It is effecting my family that i love.
My advise is if you can get by with a over the counter drug you should
The percocet has i'll just say tylenol because i can't spell the other word for it. So maybe that combination works better for your pain then just morphine alone.  Percocet isn't as strong as morphine so if it works better I would just take that because when the time comes to stop taking pain meds it will (or should be) be easier to get off of a weaker pain med. That's just my opinion anyways
Oxycodone is a semi-synthetic opioid that is made chemically (usually from thebaine). Compared to morphine, it has a methyl group added to the 3 position oxygen (like codeine), it has a ketone group in the 6 position instead of a hydroxyl group, it lacks the double bond between carbons 7 and 8, and it has a hydroxy group attached to the 14 position. It's about 1.5 times stronger than morphine when taken orally , this is probably why it offers better relief for you.
I am on 200mg slow release morphine twice a day and also oral morph about 600ml a week on top, any help?  
I am a recent disabled vet and I have been taking percocet for over 5 years. I was told that I'll be taking hem and muscle relaxors for the rest of my life, or until they find a cure for fybromyalga and spinal nerve damage. I was informed by a pain management specialist that when I get older I will need to change to morphine because they are stronger. So I guess morphing is stronger. Although, if you take the pill according to how they are prescribed you don't have to worry about addiction. There are times when they don't work as well but at those times just deal with it instead of trying to force the meds to take away all of the pain. hopefully this helps.
This site seems to have SOME ppl that get a high from talking about it. I've been in recovery coming on 4 years in January. But I try not to talk about all the drugs I did that almost took my life on numerous occasions. My point is I used to love talking on forums about getting clean when I was high. It seems to have lots of this going on.