My best friend is smoking pain pills
Today my best friend and I had a falling out...
Let me back up, about a week ago my friend got a bunch of money from an insurance claim.  He wanted to take me and my girlfriend to a casino for the weekend for fun.  We all stayed in one room which had to be smoking (my gf and I don't smoke) and we saw just how bad it was.  He was up all night, had to smoke a pill every 2 hours or so.  We would go down to the tables and play blackjack and he would practically fall asleep during hands.  Then, randomly at lunch on the last day (sunday) we asked him if he wanted to go on a vacation for labor day and he said "I don't know...I might being going to rehab on Monday". We told him it was a good idea and talked about it. Then we came home and he stayed the night. He probably slept for 15 hours waking up in-between to either smoke a cigarette, smoke a pill, etc. When he finally woke up he was just wanting to argue about everything and wanted to leave.  He said he wanted to go get a hotel and be by himself all day. Now he won't answer calls or texts.

This guy has money, some depression, and scripts for anything he wants.  He has soma, diluadid, opana, oxycodone, xanax, and some others I can't keep up with.  He has been doing this for at least two years.  We find over five used strips of foil squares a day and he uses a ped egg to grind the pills up.

We are so worried about him. How bad is the pace he is at? Does he want help and that's why he mentioned rehab to us? What should I do? Should I contact his family? Should I leave him alone?

I am very worried about him
Hi!  It looks like you posted a while ago, so I'm going to move this up a bit.  There are a lot of qualified people here who will be able to answer your questions.  Good luck to you and I hope you're able to get your friend the help he needs!
There isn't a lot you can do if he doesn't want to quit and get the help he needs.
It is a good idea to get his family involved though, even though he may hate you for it, but better to loose a friendship temporarily  than for him to loose his life.

He's playing a dangerous game with all the  drugs he's taking, and will probably end up like everyone else who travels down that road to the very end- dead from respiratory failure.

At least if family is involved then maybe an intervention is possible, and he will go for rehab. Since he's mentioned it he knows he has a serious problem at least. Now he needs that push through the doors.

Hi,just a little observation.Your friend has some Money now,But that is going to change Very-fast.I would suggest not to accept,any gifts,vacations,etc.As when this Dude is broke hes only going to be resentful to those who partied and spent his money.We have to live our own lives,not being influenced by For the moment Millionaires.Believe me my friend,I had an inheritance and was used by others for my money,and now we are no longer friends. Im Sober,and they are looking for the next Sucker. John
Yes,he's in danger. Keep trying to find him and don't give up.  About the family: you need to weigh that out...I really think it's a case by case decision. His parents may be grateful and take it from there or they'll go nuts...leave them out of the loop right now. The most urgent course is to locate him. He knows he has a problem...he was more or less bating you with that comment about rehab...
Let us know. Good luck!