Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
My doctor for seven years dropped me.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

My doctor for seven years dropped me.

I got a letter yesterday from my doc,telling me he was no longer going to see me as a patient. No explanation.Should I write him back and ask why? This doc put me on Klonopn 3 years ago for RLS, we discussed several times the fact that when the time came if (ever) he would help me get off the Klonopin. Since now I have to find a new doc, what are the chances that he keeps me on the Klonopin? I have never abused my Klonopin, it was the tramadol that the doc gave me that I took to much of. In other words self medicating way over the prescribed dosage. Any feed back would be appreciated.
as a nurse i can assure you that asking your physician will be to no avail. if there is no explanation he/she got agitated over something, is not comfortable with your meds or treatment plan or there is a billing issue. those are the only reasons for pt. termination. the chances are high your klonopin will be continued by another physician, as long as your records are transferred. from experience in this field there is no reason to pursue this physician any longer. you will just have to wonder. that sucks but that is it in a nutshell.
Get a lawyer. that is completely irresponsible by a physician
Thanks for your post I will take your advice.
you're welcome. try not to think about it. sometimes they are just jerks.  it is simply time to move on.
most of the time it is money related .....(most of the time )
Wish I could but I am unemployed and can barely make my mortgage pymnt every month. I am in Florida, Kissimmee area around here everyone is losing there jobs, homes, cars, etc. In Orange County which is Orlando. They are foreclosing on 30 houses per day. The last thing I need right now is to be off my meds.  I am already stressed enough. I aIso have a 12 year old son who relies on me
One more thing gas is up to $3.00 per gallon for regular unleaded, and only expected to get higher..
I'm in Pt Charlotte Florida and things are so terrible here also. I am also trying to hang on to my house. It stinks.  I agree with betterlife, have your records transfered to a new doc. Not much you can do once they discard you like that. I've had that done to me also. Hang in there.
I do not think that is the case I pay for my doc visits with cash and pay for my scripts with cash.
I'm in Florida too, I know how hard it is to get a job--I have one, but if you don't speak Spanish in So Fla you screwed.

Good luck

Dove
Thank you for your support. My fiancee did some work for a doc who lives 3 miles from me. His practice is opening in 2 weeks I am going to go see him and so is my fiancee.
Please do not get stressed over something that may not be anything. Get a new doctor, ask him to continue treatment, and then go from there. Most  doctors will be fine with continuing a benzo, especially if you prove that you've been on it long term. No respecting doctor should have done this to you without a plan to get you off. That doctor is a moron.
You are right that is one of the main reasons I cannot  find a job because I am not bilingual. Thanks for the post, helps knowing that you are not the only one going thru this
Thanks for the advice. My fiancee did some work for a doc who lives 3 miles from me. He is opening his practice in 2 weeks. I still have 5 refills left on the Klonopin should give me plenty of time to transfer records and get to know this other doc.
You're right . Take car of your self. It just infuriates me with these DR's..
Doctors after seven years just don't drop someone without an explanation..........

Your leaving out a big piece..........
Doctors DO just drop patients. They do it all the time for a variety of reasons. Just because that doctor dropped her doesn't mean she was doing something wrong.
I swear to you and I don't even know you. The letter simply stated he did not want to be my doc anymore. I was totally blindsided.  I have no reason to leave anything out  I am on this forum to get advice and support, which you cannot get if you are not completely honest. In my previous post I asked if i should write this doc and find out what the f!@#$ is going on. Betterlife told me just to let it go and move on.
You dont have to Apologize to anyone, It has happened to me also. You dont need to prove to beach that this happened. I did absoutely nothing wrong either. I think some DRs. get scared after prescribing meds to a patient for a while. I have been on a low dose of Valium for years for GAD and Anxiety, and I have only had three Drs. in ten years. They see the Benzodiazepene is prescribed for a legit reason and you should have no problem as said above if you have your records. When One of my Drs. moved his practice after I had seen him for five years, I went to another younger Dr. and gave him my records and the first thing he blurted out was( IM not going to give you any Benzodiazepenes, I could lose my License).  I was told also to get a lawyer but just found a Dr. who would be my family Physician and take care of my ongoing GAD. There are some caring DRs. out there. It will be fine for you. Have a great day.                               Jay Dean
Man, I can't stand Drs. like that!! There are so many that are afraid to help people who legitimately need certain medication and can't get it because the dr. is scared that EVERYONE that walks thru his/her door is an addict of some sort!  It's absurd!!
I really do feel for you No dr should drop you with no explanation If he is in business for him self he can do it but if he works for a clinic like they have 2 or 3 dr then they are paid a salary , that means he is working for someone else I would send him a registered letter and ask him why ask him why he left you in a lurch it is not ethical I think they have to give you an ans if he does not write the company I dropped a dr because his nurses kepttelling me i had high blood pressure he would not give me anthing after taking 6 wk progress on my blood pressur 2 days later ended up in hosp with renal failure he shoud have have had the sense to do blood work in office when it was 190/98. the company wrote me and asked me why i quit becoming a patient i told them how he treated me he was one hateful man the company may make him ans or get one for you can you go to a clinic there andf get your meds free  I certainly wish you lots of luck  there are a few dr that care but very few you are just another head and another dollar coming in I still think that you can demand an answer
Just a thought.... Could it be the doctor, and not anything you did. Maybe he is being looked into for writing to many pain pill perscriptions.  Some doctors turn into licesenced drug dealers.  He could have a ton of patients on them and someone blew the whistle.
Thanks for the support!!!!!! I have never been dropped before and I am 40 years old. I don/t understand why beachtowel would say thar, it hurts!!!!!!!!! Just glad to know that you believe me. Up until baechtowel I have always gotten support and information. I guess there will always be one bad apple in the bunch. Maybe beachtowel was in a bad mood.

Once again thank you for being there you have made me feel alot better.
Thanks for your post!!!!! I still don't know what I am going to do. Some people tell me to drop it and movve forward. I will keep you posted as to whar I do.
didn't you say you had called in scripts ,did you say you were from there office ,,,that could be it possibly?
I would drop it if I was you.  It's very doubtfull that he will reconsider.  I had a doctor drop me once but I know why he did it.  I went to his office in total withdrawls and demanded that he give me a script.  He threatend to call the police so i left.  A few days later I got a letter that said he would no longer see me.  He is the local licesenced dealer.
May I ask you a couple of questions to try to understand?

Were you getting narcotics from this doctor?
What kind and how much, how often?
How many years have you been getting narcotics from this doctor?
Did this doctor ever make you sign a narcotic pain contract?
Like allaboutmary said, it may not be something you did, it could be that the doctor is in trouble or being looked into and he's now cutting off patients that could get him in deeper water. What ever the case may be, it's done and over with... move on.   As long as YOU know you didn't do anything wrong (alter scripts etc.), then don't sweat the small stuff.
Take care
Magi
I have heard of MD.,dropping patients because they have been contacted by a third party such as a pharmacist who may have complained you have been getting your refills early on a regular basis and in their opinion you may have a problems with addiction, or they may have found out of possible Dr, shopping, I am also in Florida the Polk county area, I know Walgreens has a new tracking system that can tell what scripts you have received anywhere in the county. Florida also was getting a state wide monitoring stating in 11/07. When you pick up your medical records it will say why you were discharged as a patient, DO NOT LET THESE RECORDS GO TO YOUR NEW MD WITHOUT YOU LOOKING THEM OVER PRIOR TO LETTING ANOTHER MD SEE THEM FIRST!, It would be in your best interest, Good Luck ---------------NOAH     I smell a rat!
Yes my doc prescribed me the tramadol. I have been on it for 2 years, I take about 30-50mg pills per day. The prescribed amount is 1evey 6 hours. My doc would give me 6 reills 120 pills per refill. About every 3 months. Obviously  I was getting the scripts before I should. It was easy though because I don't have insurance, and as of yet they don't consider Tramadol a controlled substance.NO I DID NOT SIGN ANY CONTRACT (NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT BEFORE)
I think that is exactly what happened, I was usng Walgreens and filling the scripts early. Walgreens probably called my doc and they decided I  was an addict.  I just wish my doc would have confronted me with this and helped me get off of them. After all he did presribe them to me and never told me how addicting they are. I found that out on my own. If you are in the Polk County area, then you live close to me I am in Kissimmee and have a brother that lives in Winter Haven. So hey we are pratically neighbors. (small world)
now does that mean when she goes to a new doctor and goes to fill scripts will the pharmacy inform the new doctor?
Very good question avisg.I would say they might.Walgreens is very strict when it comes to narcotics or any kind of pain reliever.For example my dad gets 600mgs of Ibuprofen and they bitched because he got it 2 days sooner than the refill said! What probably happened was the pharmacy contacted your doctor and told them about you getting them filled too soon. And in my state doctors can get into serious trouble if they dispense too many pain scripts to the same person. My doctor actually just started the pain medicine contracts for his patients. Its usually only used at pain management clinics but he told me he is covering himself in every way possible. And he won't just call in a script he has to see his patients who are on pain meds every 2 months.Its easy to blame the doctor for giving us the meds but its us who went there and told the docs that we needed them.Or at least I did...because at the time I did need them and still do.I have chronic daily headaches on top of maybe 2 migraines weekly. It wasn't his fault I started to take more than he prescribed.However I do believe if you go to your doctor and explain to them you are addicted they should take it serious and help..alot of them wont. They will discharge the patient.Good Luck and you will find a new one!
I would recommend that tram stays away from Walgreens and CVS, If you are addicted to the ultram and need help and have legit pain, call a Pain Management MD were you could explain the ultram was not sufficient for pain management, or if you think it is time to detox do the suboxone detox for 21 days, To locate a sub provider based on zip code go to www.suboxone.com click on the one in bold letters and go from there, just go to the physician locator, But the drug or the DR visits are not cheap, Thank God for insurance or who knows what kind of shape I would be in today, Suboxone has given me back my life, for real. Talk to you guys later----------NOAH
A doctor can drop you at his own discretion, for whatever reason.  Sometimes the doctor just gets overwhelmed with his duties or patient load, and will drop patients.  In most states, he legally has to provide you with the names of at least one other dr. who can take you.  It's hard not to take it personally but often it has nothing to do with you personally.