Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
My husband is a recovering addict he is having Sleep Trouble

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I was wondering if there is anything SAFE for him to take, OTC or Prescription that would help him. He just recently stopped taking subuxone/subutex out patient. His doctor is now on vacation and has no one who knows his history. I dont want come doctor to prescribe him ambien or somehting like that...any thoughts or recommendations? must be non narcotic....please help!

thank you so much in advanced!

Hi Olivia's Mom

I just recently went through opiate WD & I'll tell you what helped a little with me.  You didn't mention how much he was taking, or how long ago he stopped using the meds.  The worst of the WD symtoms (symptoms) lasts 4-7 days, although the sleeplessness usually lasts longer.  I was on both Clonidine (a blood pressure med that also eases withdrawal) and Phenegran.  Phenegran is in the anti-histamine class of drugs & is commonly used to treat nausea.  So is Compazine and Vistaril.  The anti-nausea effect is very nice, but these meds also make you very sleepy (as does the Clonidine).  They are prescription meds, so your hubby will need to see a Dr for them, but it will be worth it.  Just tell the doc that you wish to try these meds, before trying the 'serious' ones, like Ambien.  Theres also diphenhydramine (Benedryl) that you can buy OTC.  It's used in treating allergies & in OTC sleep aids.  This too is sedating, but not as much as the prescription meds I listed.  I hope this helps & gives you some place to start.  Good luck!
Thank you soo much!! I really appreciate your help...He weaned off subuxone last thursday, so about 4 days ago...he's been through several relapses so we are trying really hard for this time to be it...that's why he so nervous to take anything that might set him back! Do you think benedryl is OK? i will try that!!! thanks again, especially for the quick response!!!! you rock!