I have brought my 22 year old son home from college, he has been doing Oxy's for over a year now, not sure what mg. he was doing, but he is experiencing all the things I am reading about here, the RSL, sweating, cold, throwing up, can't sleep. What can I do to help him through this experience, he refuses to go to a rehab facility...........
The best thing you can do is talk to him right now. Why did he start using oxy's. The thomas recipe can help, but w'd's are the easy part of addiction, they only last a week or so most times. For most of us, the mental battle is the part we have to keep fighting otherwise, it's a terrible cycle. I don't know his story, but what is going to happen when he goes back to school? I am just trying to find out about his use to give advice. I wish you both the best and hope he stops for good now. Addiction kills.
My son is having a very hard time eating, says he is dizzy and disoriented, he's also lost about 10 lbs since he's been here. Should I be more worried now? He looks like an Ethiopian.....that is not funny at all and isn't meant to be, his bones are sticking out of his shoulders and his hip bones are sticking out. HELP...what can i do to help him eat something?
Try to stay calm...you being calm will help him (easier said than done). I am going to copy and paste some things that work for me (unfortunately I have gone through this a number of times). All of the things he is experiencing are normal...well, normal for those detoxing from Opiates. He needs to come clean about how much he was taking...that will give you a better idea of what he is in store for. Everyone is different...but, to this day, I have not read anywhere that Opiate Detox is life threatening. If you have a family doctor, consider talking to them.
The first thing you need to know is that the mind will play tricks on you. Telling you this is not possible. That is simply not true. Kicking opiates, although hard and unpleasant, is actually one of the easiest of the drugs to detox from. That being said, you have to "FEED" your body and not take a "sit back and wait" attitude. Like anything else, the harder you fight, the easier you will make it. So, with that said, here are some tips.
1) There is a ton of great information on this site regarding Vitamin and Amino Acid intake. Some examples are Fish Oils (3-6-9), Thyrosine, B-6/12, Multi Vitamins...etc. I went to GNC and picked up a Protein Shake mix. It has everything you need in terms of amino acids...the building blocks you body/brain needs to right itself.
2) Hot epsom salt baths...worked wonders for me. The salt helps accelerate the detox and they feel great and will calm you down.
3) Hydration...drink until you can't drink anymore.
4) For many, like me...RLS (restless legs, the feeling like electricity running through your body) and lack of sleep are the worst thing. I got Hylands, Restless Legs which helps a ton. For sleep, everyone is different, and you may need something to help.
5) Excercise...it sounds like hell, but it is amazing what even a 15 minute walk can do.
Know this...what you feel will not last forever. Most will say, that after Day 5 you will be feeling much better. Not 100%, but good enough to do what you need to do. Everything comes back, with a little hard work and determination. It won't feel like it, but every minute, hour and day that you make it, you are one day closer to your goal of...FREEDOM. These little pills take everything away...and it's time to get back to living instead of existing.
Oh yeah, one more thing...POST and READ POSTS. I did it for 3 days straight and it was a great tool to help wisk the hours away. There are a ton a great folks on this site at various stages of recovery. You are not alone and you can do this.
Thank you ever so much for your response to my son's problem. He was snorting 150mg a day of oxy's. He's been clean since Sunday. I was just really worried about the "not eating" part of it because he is 5 10 and is weighing only 138.......he's so hungry, but nothing seems to taste good to him.
Thanks again, the support from this forum has helped me as his Mom a great deal! God Bless you and keep you well during this Christmas Season.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.