N2O Addiction and Abuse
Hello I have been a heavy N2O abuser for 18months now. I feel like I am hopelessly addicted to the feeling I get from it. Although I have used drugs and alcohol since I was 15, I have recently given up everything else but N2O still has a hold on me I cannot let go off.

It seems like no one else has ever had this addiction, no doctors or psychologists I have seen have even heard of it let alone treated it. They all  say that my addiction is mental and that there is minimal risk of damage due to N2O's low toxicity.

But recently I have been experiencing pain in my diaphragm around my oesophagus when I breath. I use a whipped cream dispenser and cream charges bought from my local supermarket and balloons to breath in the gas. Sometimes up to 180 per day at a cost of $120. Could I have simply strained it from the increased air pressure of the balloons or could it be something more sinister.

Although I know I brought this on myself I am desperately looking for help before I ruin my life and relationships. I'm spending money I don't have and although I can see I need to stop now, when I am craving its like someone else takes over and its only once iv got my fix I can see clearly again. At first I thought I was just being weak but the further I move through therapy the more scary it becomes knowing how little control I have. Does anyone out there know of anyone else with this problem? Or had a similar experience? Any help would be much appreciated...
Is this also known as huffing?
Sorry dont know..
Well i think i know what you are talking about. And the addiction is very real. Best advice i can offer is to get some addiction counseling. Treating the mental aspect is the most important part. Its not easy getting well BUT it can be done and you deserve a sober healthy life. Good luck to you and keep posting here. The support is amazing as are the people.
I don't think it's quite the huffing you are thinking of but can still be dangerous. The term "huffing" that everyone thinks of usually done by inhaling chemical type substances. N2O is Nitrous Oxide or "laughing gas". The most common source of this is whipped cream spray cans. You can also by the little cartridges that are used to make whipped creeam that is purely N2O. Although inhaling nitrous isn't in itself damaging you are still putting yourself at risk due to the "numbing" effects causing the chance of physically injuring yourself by tripping, falling, etc.
You won't have any physical withdrawals trying to stop but it will probably be one heck of a mental battle. Maybe try and find a way to occupy your time when you get the urge to use. If a craving hits try laying in a dark room with some soft music and do some breathing exercises. Try going for a walk. Try anything that will take your mind off of using.
Maybe members here can post to let you know what they do when they get hit with a craving from their drug of choice.
Although nitrous isn't lethal I'm sure it's a hectic lifestyle just as in any addiction. Be sure to stick around here for support. There are some wonderful people here that will do all they can to help you beat this addiction.
Hang in there. There hope!

Brian
Ballocks.  Nitrous is most certainly dangerous, and very dangerous at the amount you're using it.  It's not the nitrous itself that kills, it's the lack of oxygen from prolonged use.  You kill off brain cells the longer you go without sufficient oxygen.  Go on a binge and you'll suffocate and die.  Long-term use also interferes with the uptake of vitamin B-12 and can result in nerve and bone damage.  If you notice tingling in your hands and feet, you already have nerve damage.  Taking supplements won't do anything because the nitrous blocks your body from using it.  It won't give you physical withdrawal like opiates; it's the mental craving you have to deal with.

My dentist lost her practice partner to this very problem.  There he was starting his dental career, life's looking good and he starts in with the nitrous tanks.  He died of asphyxiation before he reached the age of 30.
First day of the nos complete... Only just though.
Thats a start..Now finish the second day..:)
3rd day done.. Feeling good.
Thats great, now you've got a mindset..Keep it strong..:)
It's truly amazing what we will get addicted to. If aspirin would get me high, I'd have likely been eating a bottle a day. Congrats on day 3. Good move to stop
Back to square 1... Dam it.
What happened to trigger your relapse?