Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
NA

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

NA

I have been clean for a couple of weeks now and I always read the posts on here but do not post often myself.  The questions and responses that everyone has are quite helpful to me for the most part.  However, I would like to start going to NA meetings.  My ex boyfriend (who I started using with) has been going to them for awhile and they really seem to have been doing him good (from what I saw before we broke up).  Right before we broke up I had mentioned that I would like to start going as well and he expressed to me the he did NOT want me to go.  I'm not sure if it was because he knew he was about to break up with me and thought it would be awkward or something else.  My question is what should I do?? I really want to go but (because of our schedules we would definitely end up at mostly the same meetings) I don't want to make things uncomfortable for him or myself.  I fear that if I go and he sees me he will stop going and I don't want to interfere with anyones recovery but I want to improve my own.  I do not have the means to get to meetings that are further away or in a different city.  Any ideas?  Should I just not go?
Girl yall are broke up and you need to focus on your recovery and not his.  It is obvious that he has moved on and so should you.  You never know yall may end up being friends and end up helping each other in the end.  Please just focus on your recovery for now!!!

Lisa
Jacksonville,FL
I agree. If you feel like going to an NA meeting is going to help you in your recovery, then you should definitely go and not worry if he is there. Don't even look at him or talk to him unless he tries to talk to you. Just make it obvious that you are there to benefit from the content of the meeting and that it has nothing to do with your prior relationship. Good luck!
I'm not sure I agree. Your recovery is the most important thing but you don't want to take any drama to the meetings if you can avoid it. Are there really not other meetings to go to where you live?
There are lots of meetings in your area: http://www.nagulfcoastfla.org/Meetings.htm

You might try AA too.  These days I go exclusively to AA, even though my alcohol problems were minor compared to my addiction to opiates and cocaine.

The NA stance on alcohol is "Alcohol is a drug.  We are people with the disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover."  Thus, if you're in line with NA's thinking, you also qualify for membership in AA, since its "only requirement of membership is a desire not to drink."

CATUF
1601