Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
NAPROXEN

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

no

NAPROXEN

IS NAPROXEN ADDICTIVE
No .... I've taken it many times in the past.  It is an anti inflammatory - not addictive.
GOOGLE  NAPROXEN and there is a lot of info I just posted 1 section in one article

What is the most important information I should know about naproxen?
This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use naproxen. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking naproxen. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

Do not use any other over-the-counter cold, allergy, or pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to naproxen (such as ibuprofen or ketoprofen). If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of this type of medication. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains aspirin, ibuprofen, or ketoprofen. Do not drink alcohol while taking naproxen. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by naproxen. Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays (sunlamps or tanning beds). Naproxen can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn may result
Naproxen is prescription strength Aleive.
Good points -- take with food.  Also, it is full of sodium so you may notice more frequent trips to the washroom.  Drink lots to avoid dehydration.

Personally, it only works for me for a couple days and then the effect wears off ... but that is the same for almost everything I have ever taken .. I seem to develop tolerance very quickly.
In my experience, taking naproxen for a long period to deal with chronic pain has withdrawal symptoms such as vertigo, night sweat, headaches and pain.  I am looking at natural supplements to find something without either the side effects or the terrible withdrawals.
> Taking naproxen for a long period to deal with chronic pain has withdrawal symptoms such as vertigo, night sweat, headaches and pain.

Do you know how long the withdrawal period is?  I have been taking Naproxen daily (1x or 2x per day) for two years.  I have realized that it is hindering my recovery from workouts because it hides pain during workouts (allowing me to go beyond my limits and cause injury).  I have been trying to get off of the medication maybe 4-5 times in the last 6 months and have been unsuccessful.  This week was another target period and tonight after suffering through a night sweat, I have realized that I am addicted to the medication and am going through withdrawal symptoms similar to other drugs.  I have been weening off (not exactly cold turkey), but I have only reduced to 60mg/day.  I could switch from the Rx to Aleve (30mg) and then start breaking the Aleve in half.  However, now that I am two days off the drug I do not even want to starting taking it again.  I just want to push through.  Any advice is welcome.
I've taken it for six weeks and am having occasional dizziness since stopping.  How are you doing?  
Good to know. I've been taking Naproxen for years, day and night. There has been some confusion and my prescription hasn't been filled for two weeks now.
I am super itchy everywhere, nauseous and having migraines.  I never would have thought Naproxen had withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms! But I'm hoping that's what it is, as I don't wasn't some other illness, at least I'm hoping that's what it is :/
Thanks for the info!
I've used Naproxen for 6 months straight everyday when I was working in Demolition/Labor and when I got a new job being a Cashier at Toys r us I stopped cold turkey and had no adverse effects.
I would imagine some people could get mentally addicted though.