Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
NEED TAPER SCHED for ROXI 30's

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

NEED TAPER SCHED for ROXI 30's

Can someone please provide me with a painless or at least close to it way to taper off roxi's?  Short version here and long story below for those who like to read:
Currently snorting 6-8 roxi's (30mg).  Fortunately I haven't been doing them two at a time.  So about every 90 mins.
I mix in 6-8 green vicodin 10/650's but swallow those
I have plenty of both to taper slowly and access to more if needed.  Money running low though so need to quit.  Add up the money and it is about a $40k yr habit.
Schedule please?

Here is a very Long Story that probably doesn't make sense but it sure does feel to just type my thoughts out cause no one in my life knows about my problem and addiction:
I have been off and on vicodin, percs, and now roxis (30mg) for 8 years.  I had ACL surgery that dragged on to 2-3 surgeries over the course of a year.  Anyway, like everyone else's story, my "need" quickly turned into a habit, and now I want to quit.  I have plenty of blues and access to more.  Also have access to 10/650's vicodin.  I snort about 5-6 blues a day (150-180mgs) and mix in 6-8 greens throughout the day.  I started in February with a half blue in the morning and a half at night so you can see I escalated quickly.  It is funny how those things make EVERYTHING better.  Like taking my sons to the grocery store after snorting the blue dragon is one of my favorite things to do.  I am actually kind of worried that when I stop using I will be less fun to be around and impatient with the kids who are both boys and 5 and 3.  I do want to quit now cause one I can't afford it and two the buzz is very hard to come by, I have to snort 2, and then it only lasts a very short time.  NO ONE has a clue that I take them.  I am a Christian, with Jesus Christ as my Savior, and living in this sin is like spitting in his face.  I am involved with the church and school and just need to quit before someone finds out.  I feel like such a hypocrite.  By the way, for any of you that look at Christians as judgemental or high and mighty, please don't group me into that group.  I am saved by grace and mercy alone, and take no credit for my salvation.  I certainly don't deserve it that is for sure.  I can tell you that depression is cured by reading the Bible.  God's promises are for all and when you read comforting verses it chases away the sadness and gives you motivation to quit.  He is the only answer.  I will always be an addict, until I die, and go to heaven, and then I won't have to struggle with this anymore.

I am a HUGE baby and as soon as I feel the "cold feet" I pop another one.  I actually think the mental part is tougher for me than the physical part.  There is something about knowing that you are sick because it is "self inflicted" that makes it worse.

Thanks for listening..LOL..it sure did feel to just type.

Please post a schedule for me and help me kick the "blue dragon" once and for all.  Until then I am just trying to monitor how many I take per day so that I know my starting point.

those are 30 mg each by the way so total of 240 mg of roxi
Hi there.  I am bumping this up so people will see it.  Unforunately I have zero words of wisdom on tapering because I was never ever able to taper anything.  I literally can't get through even an hour of tapering.  But I do know there are some here who have been very successful with tapering and there is also a member who works at (or still for) a detox center who can give a good taper schedule.  

You are correct, you (and I) will always be addicts.  We cannot ever ever forget that.  This taper and this withdrawal will no doubt be difficult, but we can all attest to the fact that addiction never goes away.  There is no cure and its always there and you always have to stay on top of it.  We have to basically re-learn how to do everything without our drugs.  At first nothing will seem right..but ultimately sobriety is the best thing you can ever do for yourself and for your children.

Best of luck to you - many blessings!
First - you gotta quit snorting them. Thats a for sure. You spike serum levels and put the whole dose in your system at once...and the dose leaves your system faster....thats probably why the buzz is hard to come by. And its totally addictive behavior. Swallow them whole. You have a hefty habit established. Knowing what your consumption is will help.  You will probably do best to start dropping the oxy dose first..... try and get it down to 2 or 3 per day max - - then you can start dropping the hydro also. This will not be fun nor easy. But it is something that you WILL do at some point for some reason. For some it takes jail or serious illness - - some die. Others take the initiative themselves. Do it now and do it for your own good.
thanks for sharing that with us. I myself have been a methadone and norc mixer for the last 1 1/2 years and then was taking vikes for 3 years before that. so I know how you feel brother.  and let me say that, I have learned that opioid and opiate addiction affects all walks of life from ministers to lawyers, from construction workers to profootball players. EVERYONE, so nothing to be embarrassed about. Its sad we have to sometimes lose sooo much, to finally wake up and realize we have made a huge mistake.

matter in fact I see you are in FT.lauderdale, last time I was done there I was maxed out on norcs and wound up eating them all, and reinjuring a past injury, and had to go through WD's on an airplane, barley able to walk on the plane. the gal I was with and the other passengers were looking at me like, What on earth happened to you....... I was in major agony!!

how many pills do you have left? and are you dedicated and determined to end it once and for all??
I see you said you have access to as many as you want.  that can be an issue and a major problem in the future, that you might have to address immediately if you want to get clean.
BTW! u will have WAY MORE FUN WITH YOUR KIDS then u will on a pill!! pills deaden us out!we think were having fun but what happens when that high goes away????
all of a sudden u need another one to have fun with your kids?see what i mean?
i have noticed that i have wayyyy more patient being off meds,i am more talkative and not a zombie!and now id be able to take one for my bad chroni pain but not have to take 100 of them...what i hated most was not knowing what was what in the mornings!!!
was it my pain, or was it withdrawal pain and i needed to get up and go take my meds to just feel no more pain?!! or was it a mix of both! you will be fine fred :) i will be here with ya the whole way! heres my email addy  briecookie4u @ yahoo *******
please feel free to email me with anything you need!and plz believe me, u will get better and u will NOT WANNA TURN AROUND and do this again just for fun!!!
its just gunna take ur will power huh! and with kids i bet u got alot of that!! :):)

god bless and god speed hun
You should read a few posts here on how "non-addictive" Ultram is. Tramadol is harder to detox from than many of the standard opiates out there. Be careful with it, please.
Thanks for the advice and the schedule eagle.  I said that I have access to plenty to say that I can do as slow a taper as necessary.  Here is the million dollar question:

Is it better to taper quickly cause you can get off faster?  I would like to taper slower because I can work and it will be less painful and evident.  However, if the extended time will make the withdrawal worse, then I will just do it quickly.  I was on Suboxone to detox the first time and getting off that was 4 days of hell and I was down to a quarter when I quit.  Which is harder to to detox from and taper?  The roxi's or the suboxone?

Eagle - Tell me what you think about this taper schedule and recommend any adjustments.
1. Stop snorting
2. Monday through Wednesday go with 1 30mg swallowed every 2.5 hrs with a two greenies in between if needed.
3. Thursday and Friday extend to 3 hours 1 30mg
4. Friday through Sunday 3.5 hours and then slowly increase the time inbetween

Is it better to try to do 15mg every 1.5 hours which would be the same intake total per day but my body would be used to the lower levels each time?

I just started a new job and put in amazing hours of work cause of the pills obviously working 75-80 hrs of work.  40 at the office and then putting the kids to bed and working till 1-2 in the morning.  I can't afford to not be sharp at work that is why I like the idea of 30mg every 2.5 hrs and then extending the time inbetween.

I have over 150 pills left so I have enough to do whatever option I choose.  Main goal is to just get off them.

Thanks for your recommendations and time to do them.  I appreciate it very much.

Does exercise help?  Needless to say I am thinner than ever so I'd like to take advantage of the weight loss and get off pills and still look good:)
I just noticed your information and its really late - - so I will return in the morn to make sure that I dont tell you to do something stupid. But you sound like you are approaching things properly. Timing and doses dont mean a thing if you arent successful. The important thing here is to succede. The oxy's being time release when taken whole will make a difference soon . An hour or two one way or the other isnt a big thing. You may have to suck it up for a day or two while you transition from snorting (insufflocating...) to taken as directed. But that wont be a big thing. Thats why the hydro's can be around.....they are both shorter acting and and shorter duration. They will be most handy for a short time later when you are on a lower dose of oxy. And YES - exercise is absolutely the best way to go! For many different reaons; do as much in the line of physical activity as you can. Even park the car a little further from destination as you normally would and walk just a little. Things like that.  You are making the right moves - knowledge is power here  - - learn as much about the enemy as you can. Then defeat him. There is a vast amount of knowledge and experience on this forum. Most of it quite worthwhile. Good to have you onboard and wanting to change a few things. Now is the time.  And with God on your side ......how can you lose? I believe also - - And I am glad to hear that you also do - - And I even think that the huge majority of people polled would have to say that God already knows that we have human weaknesses.  And God seems to be doing just fine with things going that way............Hope that you are doing just fine also........PM me if you need to - - but I should be around.........eagle
http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/pain-medication/ultram-pain-reliever

Ultram Pain Relieverf
By: Peter F. Ullrich, Jr., MD

Ultram is a type of narcotic-like oral pain reliever that is often prescribed to treat low back pain. Ultram, also known as tramadol, was approved by the FDA in 1998 and acts centrally (in the brain) to modulate the sensation of pain.

It is not an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) nor does it have the anti-inflammatory effect of an NSAID. Its mechanism of action is similar to acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol), but Ultram is a stronger pain reliever than acetaminophen and has a weak narcotic effect.

While Ultram is technically a narcotic or opioid pain medication, it is different from typical narcotics in that patients do not build up a tolerance with extended usage and there is a very low incidence of addiction. With other narcotics there is a general tendency to escalate the dosage of the medicine with time and a chance of addiction. The narcotic effect of Ultram is not as strong as the narcotic agents in other common pain medications, such as Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Oxycontin and Percocet (Oxycodone).
You can put as many studies out here that you want. At one time heroin was used for pain relief and touted as non-addictive as well. This is quoted from Wikipedia and has 3 sited sources "It (Tramadol) is a synthetic opioid and it appears to have actions at the μ-opioid receptor as well as the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems." And, regardless of what it says anywhere...just read the posts on here and the **** people go through to get off of Tramadol. It IS addictive and to say otherwise is reckless.
Eagle,

I didn't realize that Roxicet were time released.  I do know that God is in control and promises us that he will never give us anything that we can't handle.  I also know that he uses our sin for his glory and in this case your experience and probably even past sins he is using to benefit me and helping to over come my enemy.  Once I beat this monster, and by His grace I will, I can only pray he will use me as an instrument to help others.
You have a good attitude, Brother. I never really put it in that perspective. But that is exactly the reason that I have hung around this forum. I have made a lot of very good friends - - and I still benefit myself from using the forum as part of aftercare ...... I always considered it part of what we call karma.....And if any of my experiences may be used to benefit someone else its a good thing. You will be able to do this - - keep posting with any questions and for further support. Be careful if you do use tramadol - its really more of a souped up antidepressant than it is a decent pain killer......and its action on serotonin makes it hard to quit without depression and anxiety. Its actually in the process of being rescheduled right now......it has its place - but it isnt used for w/d's too often... Your attitude and experience will put you in a good position to help others in the near future. And thats a tremendous thing to have going for you!!  
Medhelp also has an Expert Addiction Forum moderated by a Psych / Addictionoligist named Dr Jeff Junig - -  He has a lot of real time experience....and you may ask his opinion of just about anything........ I am not even certain whom kaismommy is ticked off at ....... but i agree with her daughter..........
Ok...as I read this I can't help to wonder what in the world people are mixing with the ultram to have withdrawals...

A few years back I was put on 10/325 percs after a reconstructive surgery to my knee. I was on those for the next year or so.  I had moved and the new doctor (new state) was refusing to give me percs again. To make a long story short, I went through HORRIBLE and HELLISH withdrawals, to the point I wanted to just keel over and die. After going through a couple doctors, I finally got one to rx me something...and that "something" was ultram. I did not do much for me at all, but I wasn't complaining bc it was SOMETHING. I was on ultram for a year and a half when I finally said ENOUGH.  I was over being hooked on the routine of taking medications. I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS AT ALL!!! No headache, no nausea, no body aches (except normal pains). It is NOTHING like heroin at ALL! In fact...Ultram has been FDA approved since 1995, don't you think it would be classified in the same area if it was "that" addictive and dangerous? Also...ask ANY pharmasist...you can get ultram called into a pharmacy. ANY narcotic needs to have a hand written rx handed right to the pharmisist. I agree with what Kaimom is saying as I am living proof that there are no withdrawals on ultram. Ultram is OPIOD LIKE, SYNTHETIC....doesn't mean it IS AN OPIOD. That means it has a similar reaction in the body. Also, anything can be considered "addictive" when done in excess (ie: spending money, lying, etc). It is all in people's heads that they are EXPECTING to feel withdrawals so they have them. The power of persuasion is VERY strong in some people!!!  Any other questions/comments I will be happy to respond.

Peace, love & ladybug!.

also, if you look at all posts, GA GUY, u arent talking about how addictive ativan is!!NO one doing a recipe to help there withdrawals with what kaismom said is going to go thru withdrawals with the meds she posted!on the contrary! IT will help if done right..
seems to me people are over doing certain meds then blaming withdrawals on ONE med!and fail to conclude that maybe they drank with it, or maybe took 3 narcotics with something..this is something to think about
Ultram doesn't have a Tylenol base, that's Ultracet. Ultram is straight Tramadol.
i am far from ticked off at anyone! it gets old having someone think they know everything! with out thinking about all thats involved! id rather talk alot from taking myself off of my prescriptions, then be someone who is hard of hearing and rather listen to there mouth then take in consideration someone might be right other then themselves!
i have gotten all my info from a surgeon, a PH.d as well as a psychologist!
btw, dont involve my daughter in ur insults! it seems my child would be more mature then to do of that! :)
everyones SO WORRIED ABOUT what they want to think or do then to just listen to the dude starting his first days of nothing and worrys that he wont want to be around his kids cause hell be drug free!!! once again, i am hear for you fred and good luck~!
Ummm.....lol really?????

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugs_concern/tramadol.htm

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!!! hahaha

Thank you for the laugh I really needed it today. =)
Sorry I placed that last comment towards you. It was someone else that posted that Ultram had Tylenol in it. I don't mean to sound rude or offensive. It's not my meaning. The thing is that for the vast majority of people, Tramadol isn't a problem. This isn't a room full of normal people. We're all addicts. That makes us very prone to abusing anything and everything. Tramadol is addictive. It may not be the devil at 50mg a day..but, as addicts..we don't ever do just one pill. That's the reason it's best to stay away from all mood altering drugs. That includes Ativan, Tramadol, and even Ambien. I don't mind having lively debates about the best course of treatment for anything. But, it scares me when people say Tramadol isn't addictive when I see people on here going through hell getting off of it. It's as simple as that.
Ultram and Ultracet do contain Tramadol. But, Ultracet is Tramadol plus Tylenol. Most Ultram contains 50mg of Tramadol. Ultracet is 37.5mg Tramadol plus 325mg of Tylenol. Please, look at your source again.
Best advice i seen on you tapering was what eagle said in his 1st post. I'm a realest. You can taper, but I know for a fact you wont stop sniffing from jump street. Ur snorting 6-8 a day and you cant just stop sniffin the **** the day after. Like I said Ive been thru this and I know how it is, addicts hate discomfort so im gonna be real wit ya. Snort one less everyday. take 1 less Green every week... When you get down to 3 roxis a day start eating them. chew em during the day and leave the time realease on for overnight. Snort only in an emergency at this point. So by now the roxi habit should be down but you still got a decent amount of hydro to use since your only dropping one green per week. speed that up by 2 a week. Stay at 3 roxi a day for a week then drop it down one. By now you should be getting it under some level of control ( lol if there is such a thing) But each week drop another roxi out, stop snorting at all at this point. You wanna get off the roxi before the greens. so by the time 2 more weeks pass the roxi should be down to zero and you should be around 4 greens a day. -still a bad habit btw 40mgs daily-  take it slow now. this time is crucial. Dont make yourself so uncomfortable that you relapse to the roxis. if you gotta take more greens to keep from the roxis do it. but take it slow drop a half a green a week, or even 2 weeks. But good luck. A taper like this helped me come of 160mg oxycontins like 4 or 5 a day and I used blue 10/650's to help taper and i made it work, it was hard. todays pharmecueticals are way worse than heroin. espescially oxy's and roxis because they are designed to hit that part of your brain , HARD. Good luck brother. keep a brother posted if you try this out.
Just for the record. Being a well reputed street pharmacist, Ultram is an Opoid-Opiate antagonist. Meaning it has the same properties as suboxone and a few  other panrelievers. An antagonist means it can cause withdrawel symptoms if you have normal opiates in your body. Like if you eat a bunch of percs and then eat some ultrams, you can very well start feeling withdrawel symptoms. The antagonist property of Ultram makes it unable to be mixed with normal opiates because it will block the effects, like suboxone. And Whatever Whoevers Dr.s say. I worked with a guy for 6 years and he was completly addicted to ultram, given he would take 7 at a time a few times a day, but he was my boss and if he would run out we wouldnt be working that day because he would get diahrea, the sweats, rhinorhea(nose running excessivly), the sneazes. He was most definitly physically addicted to that stuff.
There is no such thing as a painless or "almost" painless way to get off opiates - I am very sorry to say...................
i have painlessly gotten off my prescription meds!maybe im a lucky one that can handle it and just go on with my day!although i did only take what my dr told me to take and never did things like snort stuff.
for me, all the oxy my dr had me on, it was easy for me to come down off those cold turkey with no withdrawals..lucky?yes!like i said, i could call a dr about ultram and the answer for some would be the same! as for getting addicted to something and anything, well i dont know what to say to ya!i can have compassion for many people but i also can hold my ground and say no wonder ur going thru W/D'S!!! U ATE 20 trams in one day!
long thread...will admit i didnt read all of the posts....i have gathered u r on over 200 mgs of oxy/roxy.....tough dose asit comes at the point of ct being very difficult/but do-able...tapering is hard for an addict....i sukked at it but u may be a better man than i..cos i am not a man  (:    if u do taper u have to give ur pills to someone u trust to dole out daily....u need to cut off supply/ie tell ur dr or u will never get this done...pills sing to u during the night....refills have a really strong song....letting go is of prime importance..almost like letting go of a relationship/ a toxic one ,,r u ready to let go

i think tapering for a bit can get ur mind ready to do the job u need to do....it may also make u feel like a complete  loser if u continuously f it up like i did....in the end ct was my answer...i was just so fing sick and tired of being sick and tired
health pages r full of great info...and the posters here are wonderful...keep us updated..u r welcome to pm me if need be....be safe
Hey There. I am not going to read anyone else's response to your question, because I don't want their answers to alter my thinking so please if I repeat anything that has been said I apologize ahead of time. By hearing your story, it sounds a lot like me. The most scary part for me was the emotional part of getting off the oxys. I am also a (sort of) religious person, and I do try to pray at least once a day for strength to get past this horrible disease of addiction. I was born into addiction and have had trouble getting out.

The easiest way to quit (and I am sorry to say this) is to just QUIT. Cold Turkey. I thought the best way was to taper, but tapering is still putting the drug in your body and honestly, it just delays the pain you will feel when you finally have none of the drug in your system. Don't take this advice as "medical advice" always speak with your doctor before you stop taking a drug that is prescribed to you. But if you would really like the easiest way here it is:

Quit on a Thursday (if you work monday through friday). That way, the first day, which is never THAT bad, you can work. Then on Saturday is when the withdrawals really start to kick in. Make sure you have immodium (you'll NEED it), some type of relaxing vitamins, melatonin, rose hips, something to make you calm cause you'll have a bit of anxiety.

Currently I am taking L-Lysine for energy, Fish oil for overall health, garlic, vitamin C,E, and Ecinacea. magnesium for my muscle and nerve health, and xanax (which is prescribed to me for anxiety). I am also taking after care with Anti Depressants (cymbalta) which helps with the emotional part of withdrawals.

I would definitely seek aftercare after you finally decide to quit and stop taking the drug for good so that your emotions aren't flying off the handle.

I hope my advice has helped you, and good luck in your journey, because thats what it is. We are all here for you. Ping me if you need me. :)

Much Love

-RX
theres one thing i can agree with as well! prayer i think got me thru alot!i was on more then a person of my size (104)shoulda  ever been prescribed..my mother always told me she missed her little girl and im 32..now that ive taken myself off ALL meds and its going onto 2nd week my family sees the "real" me and i havent seen them so happy!!
they also said it seems like your drs were just trying to numb you
and not help you..to make me a zombie and they always told me and still do, "youll always have to be on pain meds,youll never get better health wise so just load up on what were giving you!!"
im having brain surgery in a month therefore i took it upon myself to come off all narcs even though all my drs are saying NO DONT stop taking them or ull be in severe pain!
honestly id rather feel my normal body pains then to not know whats what!! whats MY pain and whats MY PAIN MIXED WITH W/DRAWAL pains in the morning cause i need to take the meds!! ya know?
ive actually stopped taking ativan, because i spoke with my surgeon and he said that ativan can be just as addictive if takin after a week then id have to deal with w/drawals from that~~i depend on my restoril right now to calm my brain and it actually really helps with any withdrawal symptoms!NOT SAYING GO GET THAT! LOL..IM SAYING im lucky i have a med that is helpful..

as for the ultram, alls im saying is if done in moderation(which i have faith in people) it DOES help with the all the withdrawals of coming off strong narcs!!! i think anything can be addictive or have sum sort of withdrawal factor if takin wrong!
yes, there are alot of addicts in here, but i dont see addicts who are just playing around i see them trying hard to find a way to become "NEW" and yet not have to feel the pains that come along with it!!
IF u do use ultram for any sort of withdrawal help, DO NOT use more then 100mg a day!and dont use for longer then a week!i wouldnt use tylenol or ibprofren either for long cuz in the end all meds mess your body up!
hope all is well this AM and ur doing ok fred!its hard but i know you can do it!u have alot of support! :)
I didnt read this whole thread but I did see that roxicet are time released and Ultram is not addcitive.  BOTH OF THESE STATEMENTS ARE TOTALLY FALSE.

BTW-  My Dad, Brother & Sister are also doctors/dentists.
Suboxone may help you with the mental cravings, but could become yet another addiction for you.... i suggest rehab, or intese therapy accompanied with the subs! GOOD LUCK, and first step is realizing you have a problem :)

PS- stop snorting them, it makes it much harder to quit and is more addicting this way...
the ppl that run this forum are whack, you delete posts , even whole threads like jt808's that have useful harm reduction info, but don't delete the garbage thats written here , spreading misinformation, like tramadol isn't addicting!!!! and is easy to come off of !!!
Maybe I am just a lucky person..after over a year of taking Ultram, I quit (cold turkey) and was fine.  I suppose I have will power...Also I only took what the doctor prescribed and followed all instructions. I suppose if you take in excess or have no will power you might have problems...but wouldn't anyone who took anything in excess have problems? Moderation....also if you feel like your doc put you on TOO much TALK TO THEM!!!  Most docs will listen...If you are taking them illegally and are having problems...sorry to sound harsh...but I don't feel ONE bit sorry for you. It is people who take meds illegally who make it hard on people who need them. Don't care if my last comment pissed people off. It is how I really feel. Personally, I think if you take it illegally or dont follow instructions, then you SHOULD get w/ds...it is called Karma! Now if you take the amount you should and follow instructions and still have problems...that is a different story. =)  I hope all who are having issues get the relief they desire!

peace,♥, and ladybugs!

Like others, I'm writing this in response to the original post. The first thing I can suggest is to stop snorting the pills. There are a few reasons for this. The first is that while the drugs get in your system faster that way and are more likely to result in a euphoric high or whatever, the half-life is also much shorter when you are snorting them than if you took them orally. The second is that your habit is far more likely to quickly increase when you are snorting than taking them orally. The reason has to do with the nature of addiction. When we take something that makes us feel good, the shorter the delay between administering the drug and feeling the effects, the more addictive it is. For this reason, snorting pills is more addictive than taking them orally, and shooting them up is more addictive than snorting them. Anyone who has transitioned from taking pills orally to snorting them can probably attest that while they may have went from 1/2 pill to 1 pill to 2 pills over a period of months orally, they probably went from 2 to 6 or more much much quicker once they started snorting. Once a person starts shooting, then it's just a matter of time - that's a very quick out-of-control spiral to the bottom. A third reason to stop snorting the pills is simply a health reason - it's not good for you. Problems you could encounter include sinus infections, deviated septum, asthma, various lung problems, difficulty breathing, etc.

Regarding a taper schedule, that's something that a doctor would have to discuss with you, but in my opinion, there's no point. You can taper down to half a pill a day if you want, and you're still going to have withdrawal symptoms that are crappy. Certainly the withdrawals might be less crappy if you're using less, but it's still going to be days where you don't feel like doing anything and weeks where you still don't feel 100%. The best advice I can give you is the same as someone else mentioned. Just quit. There are a number of suggestions out there about what things can help with the withdrawal symptoms (the Thomas method, etc.). Personally, I would see a doctor and discuss what your plans are and see if they think prescribing Clonidine would be a good idea. Other than that, most things you need are over the counter.

Then we get to the crux of the problem. With a readily available supply of drugs at your fingertips, it's highly unlikely that you're going to sit back and go through the hell of withdrawals and not take some medication. If you truly want to be successful in your detox, you are going to have to find a way to separate yourself from the source of those drugs until you are clean. You may want to try staying with a relative in a different state or something while you detox - I don't know your situation and what would work for you, so I'm not in a position to really suggest some specifics, but I know that if you have those drugs readily available, your chances of not taking them are pretty slim. I want to clarify too - I'm not suggesting that a geographical change is the solution to the problem of addiction - it's not - plenty of people relocate to get away from their addiction, but surprise, surprise, they brought their addiction with them to their new locale.

One last thing, it sounds like you have a strong spiritual life, and that is a great asset when going through the hell of withdrawal. Rather than kicking yourself in the *** over feelings of hypocrisy, use your spiritual relationship as a source of strength and as a way of creating feelings of resolve, determination, and perseverance. If you feel that it is sinful to use prescription medications in a way they weren't prescribed to be used, then use that fact as a way of gathering strength to overcome this addiction. Many of us start out on a twelve-step program and struggle to get in touch with the spiritual aspect of our program. You have that component in place and ready to be utilized, so that should be very helpful in getting clean.

Lastly, just let me say good luck, and I wish you the very best in your recovery.

Cheers!

~Bookwrm
by TrayCee, Aug 02, 2009 09:04AM

Absoloutly true
I am afraid that I am the one that started the misinformation about the Roxy's being time release...... And that was a mistake on my part.....  My Bad.  First mistake that I made in a long time - - - Otherwise....
everyones allowed 1 mistake...thats yours for the rest of the year, dont let it happen again!! ;-)
sorry, u cant really see I'm winking...however I'm sure you know I was being sarcastic!
MOST OF  THIS COMES FROM THE FDA

I have seen alot of info latley on tramadol some every incorrect .So I thought I would put some infromation together so everyone will have a better understanding of it .

It is addicting
You do have ephoria
It should NOT be used by ANYONE with addiction issues.

What is the most important information I should know about tramadol?
Physical Dependence and Abuse

ULTRAM may induce psychic and physical dependence of the morphine-type (μ-opioid) (see DRUG
ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE). ULTRAM should not be used in opioid-dependent patients. ULTRAM
has been shown to reinitiate physical dependence in some patients that have been previously dependent on
other opioids. Dependence and abuse, including drug-seeking behavior and taking illicit actions to obtain
the drug, are not limited to those patients with prior history of opioid dependence

You should not take tramadol if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol.
Seizures (convulsions) have occurred in some people taking tramadol. You may be more likely to have a seizure while taking tramadol if you have a history of seizures or head injury, a metabolic disorder, or if you are taking certain medicines such as antidepressants, muscle relaxers, or medicine for nausea and vomiting.

Take tramadol exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take it in larger doses or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Do not take more than 300 milligrams of tramadol in one day.

Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. A tramadol overdose can be fatal. Overdose symptoms of a tramadol overdose may include drowsiness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, extreme weakness, cold or clammy skin, feeling light-headed, fainting, or coma. Tramadol may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Tramadol should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it. Tramadol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Do not stop using tramadol suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, chills, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, or breathing problems. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication. Do not crush the tramadol tablet. This medicine is for oral (by mouth) use only. Powder from a crushed tablet should not be inhaled or diluted with liquid and injected into the body. Using this medicine by inhalation or injection can cause life-threatening side effects, overdose, or death.

What is tramadol?

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever.

Tramadol is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Tramadol extended-release is used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain when treatment is needed around the clock.

Tramadol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking tramadol?

You should not take tramadol if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol, if you are currently intoxicated (drunk), or if you have recently used any of the following drugs:
alcohol;

narcotic pain medicine;

sedatives or tranquilizers (such as Valium);

medicine for depression or anxiety;

medicine for mental illness (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia); or

street drugs.

Seizures have occurred in some people taking tramadol. Your risk of a seizure may be higher if you have any of these conditions:

a history of drug or alcohol addiction;

a history of epilepsy or other seizure disorder;

a history of head injury;

a metabolic disorder; or

if you are also taking an antidepressant, muscle relaxer, or medicine for nausea and vomiting.

Talk with your doctor about your individual risk of having a seizure while taking tramadol.

Before taking tramadol, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

kidney disease;

liver disease;

a stomach disorder; or

a history of depression, mental illness, or suicide attempt.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take tramadol.

FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tramadol may also cause serious or fatal side effects in a newborn if the mother uses the medication during pregnancy or labor. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Tramadol can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Tramadol should not be given to a child younger than 18 years of age.
Tramadol may be habit-forming. Tell your doctor if you feel the medicine is not working as well in relieving your pain. Do not change your dose without talking to your doctor. Do not stop using tramadol suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, chills, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, or breathing problems. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication. Store tramadol at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep track of how many pills have been used from each new bottle of this medicine. Tramadol is a drug of abuse and you should be aware if any person in the household is using this medicine improperly or without a prescription
Seizure Risk
Seizures have been reported in patients receiving tramadol within the recommended dosage range. Spontaneous post-marketing reports indicate that seizure risk is increased with doses of tramadol above the recommended range. Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking:

•Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI antidepressants or anorectics),
•Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), and other tricyclic compounds (e.g., cyclobenzaprine, promethazine, etc.), or
•Other opioids.
Administration of tramadol may enhance the seizure risk in patients taking:

•MAO inhibitors (see also WARNINGS - Use with MAO Inhibitors),
•Neuroleptics, or
•Other drugs that reduce the seizure threshold.
Risk of convulsions may also increase in patients with epilepsy, those with a history of seizures, or in patients with a recognized risk for seizure (such as head trauma, metabolic disorders, alcohol and drug withdrawal, CNS infections). In tramadol overdose, naloxone administration may increase the risk of seizure.

Suicide Risk

•Do not prescribe ULTRAM ER for patients who are suicidal or addiction-prone.
•Prescribe ULTRAM ER with caution for patients taking tranquilizers or antidepressant drugs and patients who use alcohol in excess.
•Tell your patients not to exceed the recommended dose and to limit their intake of alcohol.
Serotonin Syndrome Risk

The development of a potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome may occur with use of tramadol products, including ULTRAM ER, particularly with concomitant use of serotonergic drugs such as SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, MAOIs and triptans, with drugs which impair metabolism of serotonin (including MAOIs) and with drugs which impair metabolism of tramadol (CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 inhibitors). This may occur within the recommended dose. (See CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY-Pharmacokinetics).

Serotonin syndrome may include mental-status changes (e.g., agitation, hallucinations, coma), autonomic instability (e.g., tachycardia, labile blood pressure, hyperthermia), neuromuscular aberrations (e.g., hyperreflexia, incoordination) and/or gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g., nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
thats all good info...i heard of this drug but thank God never took it, only because i was told it did not make you *high* , w/ding off tabs is enough , i hear this one can even be harder to beat.
yes it can its my DOC and it was hell coming of off
Go to a medical doctor or go to a detox center.... That way is alot safer ........GOOD LUCK
well i am glad to know it can be done one day at a time, you and many others on here are proof of that