Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
NSAIDS

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

NSAIDS

I've read a few posts about some of you having procedures in the near future and wanting a non-narcotic pain reliever.  PLEASE BE CAREFUL with otc pain relievers such as Ibuprofen.  5 years ago I visited a doc for plantar fasciitis...he told me to take 600 mg a day of Ibuprofen for pain.  I did that and 2 years later almost died during the night due to an ulcur and almost bled to death.....was in ICU for 3 days and hospitilized for 5 more days.  What really hurt was the hospital and ambulance bill.

While I am also trying to reduce my pain pill usage and fully understand the addictive nature of these things I also believe that docs are killing more people with NSAIDS than narcotics.  

It is true you wont get addicted to NSAIDS but they are VERY DANGEROUS and docs wont tell you about them....just like they did not tell me about the side effects of hydros.  NSAIDS are called "cox 2 inhibitors" meaning they inhibit your body from producing protective fluids for your stomach and esophogus.  

While my 3 ulcurs have fully healed I refuse to take Ibuprofen and will take my chances with hydros as long as my chronic pain persists.  I realize that most people wont be taking Ibuprofen for extended periods of time I still urge caution.
Avatar n tn
congrats on your success with the 3 ulcers healing. i know you need meds for legitimate reasons; i really hope you can stick with the dose your doc recommends. i never thought i would be eating oxy's like candy (13 a day) when i started taking them years ago.
It is true you wont get addicted to NSAIDS but they are VERY DANGEROUS and docs wont tell you about them....just like they did not tell me about the side effects of hydros.  

NSAIDS are much  safer than narcotics and they are a large class of medications used to treat arthritis pain and inflammation so that narcotic pain killers are not the primary choice.........
reducing inflammation reduces the need for narcotics...........

The majority of the people in the US take NSAIDS and not narcotics for pain......the risks are much lower and much safer...........
i never knew they were dangerous. I eat them everyday right  along with the methadone now you got me worried about stomache pains i get sometimes do ulcers hurt or how do you know if you have one