Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Nee to get of these things....

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Nee to get of these things....

I am a business man that had back surgery about 7 yrs ago and never really depended on any meds intill about one year ago when someone gave me a lorcet and it made me feel better so like most i ended up going to a pain doctor and he prescribed me some 7.5 hydrocodon and again they made my back feel great and i was able to do many things i used not to be able to do. I would get 120 for a month and before i knew it they were gone in 2 weeks and i would find more else were. So i think now i take about 12 a day and my last one i take during a day is around 6pm and i want take another till the next morning and i take 3 7.5 with my first cup of coffee around 8am and then another about 30 min later and then more throughout the day. I have a highly addicted personality as i am an alcoholic but have been sober for 13 yrs so i no i can do this ...I have about 60 left and i want to nurse myself of these??? I again have a very busy business schedule and absolutely no one would even think i take these. They have altered my life style in so many ways. I am depressed and i have no reason to be even though i have taken effexor since being sober for 13 yrs. 150 mg a day. I have always taken some kind of sleep aid at night like Tylenol pm or ambien.. I have read alot of the older post and sounds like i am in a world of trouble coming off these pain meds. Is there anything my pain doctor can prescribe me to help with getting off. I no once off i will stay off its the part of getting through the effects of coming off.. Ok please give me some advice because i am ready. I have never been a pill person but it looks like once an addict always one.. Thank you
Hello Her, You've come to a great place for support and advice on how to lose these pills. If you haven't checked out the Thomas recipe on the bottom of the healt pages, give it a glance and get started. Do you feel you can confide in your pain Dr. to tell him your plan? YES, Dr. can prescribe meds to make this journey easier, but you may not need them. Start the vitiams now with a good protein powder or premixed (muscle milk) drink. Get a taper schedule if thats the route you want to go. The fact that you are alcohol free will serve you well as it's one drug that you won't lean on while w/ding. Keep reading post for tips and keep posting symptoms for remedies given. Giving up these meds is hard , but many do it everyday and so will you. I can promise you the freedom of not having to dose up every few hours is indescribable. We're here!
I have pain issues and thats how I went down this road, but I am 22 days now, I tappered for a bit but then felt I was delaying  the process so I jumped and it was hard, I ront know if you can take over counter pain meds but I now take thoes instead, my pain is managable but coming off the pain was horrible, but I kept reading this site and everyone posted on how your body will give you pain to get what it wants so I kept that in mind. My pain is no where , where it was. The Thomas recipe helped a lot too. Good luck and keep posting!
Welcome to the best place for support. I too was prescribed pain pills for legit pain. I couldn't taper so I just jumped. It wasn't easy. But I did it. The most important thing to do in my opinion is to prepare yourself. For the detox and after. If you can taper its supposed to be easier. Can you give your meds to someone to dispense to you??

And ask yourself some really really tough questions.....are you ready?? And what do you want to do.

Most of all.....mind over matter will serve you best.
And self induced gave you great advise. Talk to your doctor. They are there to help.