Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need Help

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need Help

Okay.....I want to quit smoking but I cant do it on my own. I've tried without success. So in 2000 I went to my doctor about it and he gave me wellbutrin(Same result as Zyban but covered by my insurance). Anyways, a week to the time I popped the pill in my mouth, I had a Grand Mal seizure and would up in the hospital for a week. I lost my job and ended up getting so behind in my bills I had to declare bankruptcy in 2005. I found out when I was in the hospital that i have a seizure disorder.....but seems to be caused by environmental/drugs. The sad thing is that it was actually working, i probably would have only been on it another wek.Now, I was just prescribed Chantix....because it does not have seizure as a side effect, but after taking the first pill something told me to read the pamphlet that came with it. When I did, I found that it can cause convulsions....rare but can, so my doctor told me I shouldn't take it. So now I'm back at square one, and afraid to take anything again because for that whole day i was scared to be alone. I have 2 very young children(3yrs & 16mos) who rely on me and couldnt help me if I was to have a seizure. Last time I was not breathing for 4 min until cpr finally worked. I had short term memory loss and busted my arm up bad. My 16 mos old has Osteogenesis Imperfecta and I don't want to pose a risk to her or my other child...and I definately would rather smoke than become brain dead or die from a seizure from trying to quit.I have a very stressful life with the OI my 16mo has and having a jealous 3yr old....and a husband with no patience and a very quick temper. I smoke between 8 & 15 cigarettes a day.... me being up from 9am-12:30am or 1am. Depending on what time i finally get the kids to bed.  I don't have much time for myself, but am working on that...as my husband finally feels ok about taking care of our youngest now by himself......but it is still limited time. Do you have any suggesstions that would not be a health risk to me, doesnt take much time for myself and is safe for me to try, to aid me in quitting? Thanks in advance
Samantha
you are a very rude person.  how can you come here and call some one a *****.  what is you r problem?  you need to go somewhere
please leave our forum.  this is a place for ppl to talk about thier life stories.  not be bashed by ignorant ppl like you.  bye now
\cathy
thank you-i felt like crying when i saw that.
I don't think that was directed at you samther13... looks like cathy5841 was directing that at someone else.

If you look on the right hand side of the page under 'Related Communities' there is a section for 'Smoking Addiction'. You would likely get more help there!
I guess someone wrote something very not nice.  I'm glad it got removed, but I do wonder what it said.  But to your situation.  I have quit 4 times all with chantix.  But I always go back 1 at a time.  I truly feel that it was easier to quit vics cold turkey.  Cigarettes are legal.  They are easy to get.  It seems they say no one smokes, but there always seems to be someone outside smoking with me and when I look over at drivers and lots are smoking.  I really want to quit too, but I didn't like some of the side effects-not likeyours.  I would definately not take any prescription pills for it, but try the patch-i did that once and it also worked for a while.  It's so hard.  Especially with stresses in our lives.  I have COPD, you would think I owuld quit years ago.  I also lost my mother at 16 to lung cancer-go figure how my mind works.  I can't imagine the stress of a sick child-I'm not sure exactly what your child has.  Good luck and keep in touch.
someone pm me and tell me what I missed !
thanks-i think i might not have a choice but to do cold turkey....i just found out that the pathces can give seizures. just to let everyone know what Osteogenesis imperfecta-(OI)is it's  Brittle Bone Disease. but affects all bones,ligaments,tendons,muscles and teeth. She has type 3 severe which is progressive deforming....constantly running to docs,specialists and hospitals for checkups/treatments/ and surgeries....and on top of it she has hydrocephaly/plagieocephaly/and was born 2mos early. We constantly have physical therapists,speech,occupational,social workers, etc... coming to the house daily. Lots of stress of just making sure my daughter is here for her therapies. She has delays in all areas, mostly motor skills. She  will eventually have rods in her legs to help straighten them.
thank you, i actually did see it right after i realized which one i was in and posted there too.
it was directed to someone that had posted to my question very mean ly-by telling me to keep smoking b*t*h. and something else. i reported it and it was removed.
if you are ready to quit you will, if not keeping thinking about it  i think about it all the time its hard and they say it's harder for women.  remember you can try and if you go back as most do you can try again.  they say it takes on an average 4 times to quit for good.  there's also this guy in Mass. called the mad russian-google it.  he charges like 60 bucks and you go for a 3 hour session and never smoke again  my girl friend has not smoked in 2 1/2 years and she has aent tons of people who it worked for.  Not everyone but lots.  he also deals with all other addictions and can do them at the same time supposedly.  Since your in CT, it's a day trip for you,, i'm in ny and it would be a day trip for me also